Fresh meat! Soon to be Cafe'd!

tWistedWheelz

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
So I just bought a “new”(to me) scoot! I bought it sight unseen! I think it’s a good deal though; I only paid $100 for her ;). It’s a 1979 Suzuki GS425E! I am not sure of its running condition but was told by my uncle (who procured it for me) that it is a sound frame and appears to be a good starting bike for a café build! I was told that the bike has all of its original gear minus the tank and seat. I did not mind that since it would be changed anyway! I do not know much about the bikes but have learned a little through research on the net.

I found that this bike was made only one year, which could cause some trouble! :mad: I also got these specs, which I think kick ass! 8)
GS 425 E 1979
Overall Length: 2 090 mm (82.3 in)
Overall Width: 835 mm (32.9 in)
Overall Height: 1 100 mm (43.3 in)
Seat Height: 785 mm (30.9 in)
Wheelbase: 1 385 mm (54.5 in)
Ground Clearance: 155 mm (6.1 in)
Dry Weight: 170 kg (374 lbs)
Engine type: Air-cooled 423 cc inline-2, DOHC, 4 valves. 40 hp (29,5 kW)/ 8,500 rpm, 31,3 Nm/ 7,000 rpm.
6-speed gearbox.

I have started to ponder her plans, but nothing is concrete yet! Definite Café though!
So what do you guys think?

Here is a stock pic from the net! I still have not seen mine and won’t until Jan. 9, 2010.
1979_GS425E_red_750.jpg

Because I am not good at keeping secrets I am going to spill the beans! I also acquired in the purchase an early 80’s CM250 (rebel) that Deviant (Alex) is getting! I don’t know his plans for it yet but I will not let it be a Café wannabe!

nice man... would be cool to take that seat and bassicly cut out one section of the seated area out, then shorten that and cut it down so that it keeps that stock tail fairing, but make it a solo seat... i think that would look so clean and save you some $ and frustration on a seat!

That bike is basically the same as a GS 400 and GS 450 (except for the GS400E, which had the 4-valve head)....lots of parts are interchangable. Check out http://www.thegsresources.com/ for model info and more mechanical help.

Rearsets from the GS400E would likely fit right on....

Runningdog said:
That bike is basically the same as a GS 400 and GS 450 (except for the GS400E, which had the 4-valve head)....lots of parts are interchangable. Check out http://www.thegsresources.com/ for model info and more mechanical help.

Rearsets from the GS400E would likely fit right on....

Wow! Thanks man! This is the kind of resorces I need! I am sure this will come in handy.

My bike is the GS425E which has a 4 valve head! I will be checking on those GS400E rear sets!

Cheers!

Sounds like an awesome deal. Will be interesting to see what you get and what you do with it. I like Joes idea if you can come across a seat. Would look great and save time and headaches. Should be cool.

nice! i love my 78 gs550. what jrk said about the tail, it works great for a cafe seat. i made mine with it, and im sending my extra tail to jrk (sorry im taking to long brother)

theyre great bikes though!

Yeah! Congrats on the sweet deal! I can't wait to start turning some wrenches on that zook. As for the rebel, we'll try to make that bastard child of Soichiro into something cool. My step son Robbie is 12 and in bama you can get an mc endorsement at 14 for a bike 250 and smaller. So we're gonna build him a bobber to go back and forth to school... The Rob Bob. Thanks for the hook up on the hundred dollar bike bro! Now let's get those bikes to their homes and show em some love!

Deviant1 said:
Yeah! Congrats on the sweet deal! I can't wait to start turning some wrenches on that zook. As for the rebel, we'll try to make that bastard child of Soichiro into something cool. My step son Robbie is 12 and in bama you can get an mc endorsement at 14 for a bike 250 and smaller. So we're gonna build him a bobber to go back and forth to school... The Rob Bob. Thanks for the hook up on the hundred dollar bike bro! Now let's get those bikes to their homes and show em some love!
You better buy him a box of Trojans too... High school + motorcycle + teenage girls = well shit, I dont have to tell you... :D

We can hope can't we? Seriously though his safety is the only hang up. Is 14 too young to properly respect what can happen to you on a bike?

VonYinzer said:
You better buy him a box of Trojans too... High school + motorcycle + teenage girls = well shit, I dont have to tell you... :D

Thats how Alex became a dad, hahahaha, just kidding, it was after high school a good bit and he was rolling a beach cruiser! ;D

hell i was 15 when i got my first bike and would ride it to school... learned early that bikes make the puzzy go WOOOO WOOOO

Deviant1 said:
We can hope can't we? Seriously though his safety is the only hang up. Is 14 too young to properly respect what can happen to you on a bike?
unless he has grown up riding dirt or snowmobiles, something like that... then yes, that is too young to be free and on the road. if he knows and can respect what bikes do (what you learn from hours in the saddle) then no he will be fine.
I got my first bike at 15, rebuilt it, totaled it about a month later... that was my wake up call!

He's been riding dirt since he was four. So maybe he'll be fine. On a side note, you guys just convinced me. A solo seat will definately go on the Rob Bob!

If hes been riding since 4 Im sure he'll be cool. Keep it to and from school, and around town for awhile until he gets comfortable on the road, and you should be cool man. And if you go with a solo seat, than he'll just look like more of a badass... Your screwed either way brother! ;D

I would lean more toward a solo and a suction cup seat for a passanger (one of the small pads) i got one i think in the shop somewhere, if i can find it he can have it... will aslo act as a ruler, to keep fat ass girls off the back of the bike, teach him young, teach him right
the passanger pad can act as a butt-o-meter "must fit here to ride"
cutting down the foam in the stock seat to make it a solo and then sending it to GO to wrap would be simple, cheap and look great!

JRK5892 said:
the passanger pad can act as a butt-o-meter "must fit here to ride"

HAHAHA!!

That's awesome Joe!

And about time you got a cafe project Brandon! You've been posing too long. (just kidding!)

I say give the kid a two up, just give him some safe sex preaching! My dad never cock blocked me!

Kiley, .....hmmmm... ( insert fancy comeback here)!!!

Back
Top Bottom