DO THE TON / DIME CITY CYCLES BIKE OF THE MONTH - MARCH 2017 VOTING

Vote!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Builders post up your photos and beg for those votes!

Vote for your choice and then go out and get 2 other people to vote - let's see how many members we can get voting this month.

Wow, thanks redbird for the nom! It will be a tough run against these other two awesome machines! This bike was my entrance into the vintage bike world a few years back. I bought it for a song without a title and not running quite right. After sitting for a few years apart in dad's barn, I decided to tackle the job of re doing it to the best of my ability in my one car attached garage.
As it started
18997881e6be49e28bc621041954e929.jpg

48a2e0f69df17a927b56a725d65177d6.jpg

Got rid of the horrible spray bomb paint on the engine, and did a "slight bit" of hand polishing
9f28eb950d7f213b76f770f1a4b2f2f4.jpg

I set out to make this not into a concourse restoration, but a fairy respectable rider, and that's what it is, it's not as shiney right now, as it was ridden a descent amount over the past summer, plus the barber and meltdown.
28fe35b3c284d71d91d09b5f50caef7d.jpg

c256fba3082d3351ba725d6e8f117899.jpg

4fbcd88ed08d84962320a7652201b5f3.jpg

6d4113578f01da9b3f299dba82843794.jpg

0b49b32b04b1e59b5ee504dcbceb25ef.jpg

Thanks for looking and I'll appreciate any votes! And thanks to dtt and dcc for sweetening the pot for this contest!

I will echo the appreciation for the nomination!

I originally picked up the CB750C as a non running, parked in back of the garage, but nicely stored (although not maintained) bit of a basket case. Initially, I was so surprised with how incredibly heavy this thing was to move around compared to the airhead BMW.

I don't think it even sat in the garage a minute before tearing into it.

349780706a6026ca2eb002270d3168d0.jpg

Every cable, consumable, and control surface was restored and/or replaced along with the more obvious changes like the frame hoop, seat, bars, etc. I think that the only reason that this qualifies as a budget build is because I did absolutely everything myself, down to mounting the new rubber.

adcc3cf89e8a933874897a44b7647054.jpg

(When I finished the seat, my kids named it "The Platypus" because of the tail, hence the build name)

The entire goal of building this was to have a safe, reliable, and easy to maintain rider that retained enough of the original engineering that if you were out in the sticks with a broken relay or something, a local shop would have no problem locating what was needed to get home.

There are quite a few subtle touches like the minimal and almost hidden dummy lights, F4i master cylinder (which really woke the brakes up), and every fender cut has the exact same radius. I really had a ton of fun building this thing.

So I ended up with this:

35591c72af818a7f4312e8f96cabca9d.jpg

cf9730e16dd2fc9c9a73dbe1f8239b7e.jpg

07781ceddb1a2cce850ecd2f9fde5743.jpg

89054a5995d5e3af70898a93bb7573a5.jpg

42a2e0a8bdee269627b8eeda8161d70e.jpg

21c517038a9383837990ab588b4fd42a.jpg

Right when she was finished:
https://youtu.be/5stED26RRiM

My dad bought this bike in the early 1980's when I was 12 or 13 years old. He got it from the widow of a work mate and promised he'd never to sell it. It had touring type trim and a pre unit Triumph engine back then. I rebuilt it with dad in 1993/94 with the regular Triton race bike look. He rode it regularly, did a few shows and took it around the Isle of Man in 1996 on a parade lap with the VMCC.

It then got stored away in his shed for 16 years and was given to me in 2013. (He promised not to sell it remember). Anyway, the frame had rotted badly meaning it needed sorting out again. I came across an 8 valve 750cc Nourish race engine and had to have it. The 4 speed gearbox internals where changed out and packed with 5 speed goodness, and things ran on from there. Exhaust, engine plates, rear sets and countless fittings needed making and seemed to take ages. Carbon fairing alone had 55+ hours of prep and paint time.

It's first proper outing was last year at the Isle of Man Classic TT where I did 7 or 8 laps around the circuit. Fantastic experience and nothing quite like it. Im 50 next year and my son aged 15 is already looking forward to the day he takes ownership of it.

Thanks for all the views and comments on my build thread and cheers Semmins for nominating the bike here. I'm chuffed by that alone. I am missing tinkering with it now it's finished though.

Link below is from the mountain section

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwLKBJL6pU

Attachments

• IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    653.6 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 406
Seen it , heard it and British to boot guess what got my vote, yup your right !

UK Mark .......... I've even got one of your special parts for my Tangerine Dream - see my new heatshield !

UK Mark said:
I rebuilt it with dad in 1993/94 with the regular Triton race bike look... I came across an 8 valve 750cc Nourish race engine... Link below is from the mountain section

I will apologise in advance to the other contestants, as their bikes are very respectable and should have been up against other reasonably similar choices. THIS one blows them away unlike any other previous BOTM round that I can recall.

Mark, your bike is absolutely fantastic. What speeds are you allowed to run with opposing traffic?

Am I biased? OF COURSE!!!!! Anyone not admitting bias is holding back (not necessarily in this round, but in general)

I really don't mean to distract from this round, but perhaps the forum team needs to re-think the extreme "mixing & matching" of BOTM candidates, to keep it reasonable. ESPECIALLY if only 2 or 3 choices...

grandpaul said:
I will apologise in advance to the other contestants, as their bikes are very respectable and should have been up against other reasonably similar choices. THIS one blows them away unlike any other previous BOTM round that I can recall.

Mark, your bike is absolutely fantastic. What speeds are you allowed to run with opposing traffic?

Am I biased? OF COURSE!!!!! Anyone not admitting bias is holding back (not necessarily in this round, but in general)

I really don't mean to distract from this round, but perhaps the forum team needs to re-think the extreme "mixing & matching" of BOTM candidates, to keep it reasonable. ESPECIALLY if only 2 or 3 choices...

I wont speak for MORK, but personally, Im happy just to be nominated. Mark put together a truly exceptional machine that in many peoples opinion will deserve to win, and if it does that's great! We all do the best we can with the time, money and recourses available to us at the time. Im 26 years old. I work many 70 hour weeks (as a teacher, which doesn't lend itself to extra piles of cash and free time lol) and at this point in my life I cannot dedicate (and honestly did not dedicate) the amount of time and did not have the same resources as Mark did (I may be assuming there)

That said, being nominated in this contest is still a nice high point to me. Someday, I hope to put together a bike to the same high caliber that is represented here, but for now, I did what I could, and there is nothing unfair about that to me. I'm proud of this forum for being so accepting of all different types of bikes, even though it is café racing centered.

I voted for one with a disk brake.

Accounting for selling my old engine and loads of bits I didn't need, it didn't cost so much to build really. I could be in denial of course. I do have a spreadsheet somewhere, but abandoned it half way in. I enjoyed making the bits you can't buy, that's what makes all of these bikes so interesting. They're all special.

Unlimited on National Speed Limit sections GrandPaul.

I appreciate the open, honest discussion on this topic.

I just get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see fairly equal candidates really dicing it out for the honors. It only seems right. We have so many potential candidates that it should never be an issue.

I will agree that I'm perfectly happy just being nominated. As far as equal playing fields, I think that part of the appeal is that it's open to all these builds here.

I don't think that I would be as happy with being nominated if we had an "everyone gets a blue ribbon" type of categorized competition.

Congrats Mark! You built an amazing machine truly deserving of the win! Thanks everyone who voted!

Wow, that's great. Many Thanks for the kind words and to all that voted. Just told my old man and my son and they're pretty chuffed with that too.

I voted for Hurco, love this old suzuki's but both other bike are great.

Congratulations mark, an awesome machine! (Though I don't want to see you knock mine off the banner!! :p ;D)

Well deserved Mark absolutely stunning bike worth all the hard work and skinned knuckles ,sure it wont be the last time I get to see the results of your hard work 8)

Cheers Yorkie. Will be over to the TT in our new (but still old) van this year. I'll get the kettle on this time round if you get over.

Sounds like a plan mate hope to get over with the Honda again too 8)

Back
Top Bottom