Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)

I pulled the bike down off the lift to check the side stand, it works great. I have done a lot of work lately, but it is all small things and I haven't really taken any pictures. I've mounted the computer, starter solenoid, air temp sensor, barometric pressure sensor, and the regulator / rectifier. It is under the engine in the airflow. Also got new brake and clutch lines installed. Lots of little things. Once all the electric bits are mounted I will move on to the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_4140.jpg
    IMG_4140.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 322
  • IMG_4141.jpg
    IMG_4141.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4142.jpg
    IMG_4142.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 245
Also mounted is the tip sensor, coolant reservoir, fusebox, and blinker relay. The red cable is a temporary ground strap for the battery, it has been replaced already.

Attachments

• IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4144.jpg
    IMG_4144.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 232
  • IMG_4147.jpg
    IMG_4147.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 232
Thanks, Pete. To be honest the bolts are just nipped up so it's still kind of loose, every time I move the bike I grab the fender and move it into a new position. I think it will end up just like this, though. I would like to reduce the angle of the muffler slightly, so that it won't foul the passengers heels. Just bring it down a 5° or so.

I'm with Pete, that rear end is looking great as if it was all made that way. I also think a small drop in the muffler would improve looks and practicality. Impressive work, i'm looking forward to seeing it with tank and seat

when you first proposed this idea i was a bit skeptical but i have to say you are doing a great job, and its looking fantastic. cant wait to see it finished!

Hi Canyoncarver,
The entire wiring harness including all the switches, sensors, the display, relays, etc. come from the donor KTM 690 SM. That way I knew that it would essentially drop in. The tip sensor could have been deleted by putting some resistors inline, but I wanted to retain all of the modern safety features from the KTM, including the sidestand switch and tip sensor. I DID do away with the 'secondary air system' however. That was too bulky.

Hi doc_Rot,
Thank you! Were you skeptical about how it would look, how it would function, or whether it could be completed? I'm only curious, as I had of course had my doubts about all three! I had the idea to put a big liquid cooled single in a classic style frame over 10 years ago, and had a lot of time to think about it. 10 years of thinking about a project, I had a perfect vision of what it would look like. This is not it! I have had to make compromises, and I accept that, in order to make this happen. If I had unlimited money I would have had a custom frame made, used 18" wheels, custom swingarm, right side up forks, aluminium fenders, and classic round gauges. But, this has morphed into something different that I hadn't expected, and that is more of a blending of modern parts and aesthetic. I think that if I had actually enacted my original vision I would have ended up with something that was less bold and interesting. I am really closing in on finishing this, just a few more months I would expect.

i was mostly skeptical how the single would look in the frame

Some odd and ends. Mounted the horn, below the radiator. There was a convenient mount on the front of the engine, so I used that. The bracket will be painted black for subtlety.
The sidestand that I bought had spring mounts on the front and back, so I ground off the front ones. Removed the factory flashing while I was at it. The spring is not the right length, so I scoured the internet trying to find the spring I needed. In the end, I made a small plate to take up the distance. This works fine. In the last picture you can see the plate. You can also see a washer that I made to fit the side stand, on the inside of the clevis. Again, I don't know what bike the sidestand is from, seller said it was a cb550, but I am not so sure. More of a blessing than a curse, however, because I could make a pretty tight washer out of hardened steel and now it fits very, very closely, no slop at all. I do not like sidestands that have play in them.

Attachments

• IMG_4155.jpg
    IMG_4155.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4154.jpg
    IMG_4154.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_4153.jpg
    IMG_4153.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 232
Taillight is on, mocked up. Note that the original indicator mounts have been removed. The new indicators will be located below and to the left of the rear grabrail mount, as shown in the first picture.
Made a bracket to hold the relays, and mounted them. Also mounted the coil.
Lastly, I had a go at the front fender mount. I borrowed a 3in1 metal sheer, bender, and roller, and used the roll function to form a 6mm rod of mild steel to the radius of the fender. Came out pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_4156.jpg
    IMG_4156.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 246
  • IMG_4157.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4158.jpg
    IMG_4158.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 235
A small update, I have not done too much work lately. The front computer has been mounted. Behind the computer is a steel plate for support, with a bar as a clamp. This may be revised later but it will work for now.

Attachments

• IMG_4321.JPEG
    IMG_4321.JPEG
    739.7 KB · Views: 201
The headlight mount needs to be finished so all this stuff will have somewhere to live.

Attachments

• IMG_4322.JPEG
    IMG_4322.JPEG
    719.5 KB · Views: 189
The cb550k3 seat does not exactly fit the cb550f1 frame, in that there is a space between the rubber bumper shown on the seat pan and the frame. To make up the distance I made some acetal cylinders that will bolt to the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_4323.JPEG
    IMG_4323.JPEG
    577.5 KB · Views: 188
The tail light is just a cheap jobber. It has downward facing LEDs for the plate lighting, but it didn't have a clear window. So I cut out a window and epoxied in some clear plastic. You can't really see it in this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_4324.JPEG
    IMG_4324.JPEG
    593.9 KB · Views: 182
A sub-harness will be made to marry to tail light, blinkers, and main harness.

Attachments

• IMG_4325.JPEG
    IMG_4325.JPEG
    693.1 KB · Views: 175
I think I've shown the blinkers before. They are a little big, and cheap looking, but I'll give them a go. I do like that they have an integral brake light.

Attachments

• IMG_4326.JPEG
    IMG_4326.JPEG
    657.3 KB · Views: 196
My wife got into an accident on the scooter shown in previous posts. A guy pulled out of a side road and hit her right in the side, knocking her off. Completely destroyed the scooter. And then the guy left the scene!
Be careful out there.

Attachments

• IMG_4305.jpeg
    IMG_4305.jpeg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 202
To connect the KTM header pipe with the new muffler, I needed to find a mid-pipe with a specific ID on one end and OD on the other end (I forget the measurements). I got a mid-pipe for a YZF600f, and it was pretty close. To get the muffler angle where I wanted it, essentially away from the passengers heel, I cut and shut the mid-pipe. I did one cut and welded it up, but in the end I decided to just remove one big pie piece than kerf the whole thing. It's finished and it looks fine. Not perfect but fine. Now the muffler is right where I want it. A muffler bracket is planned, I will show that as it is made.

Attachments

• IMG_4248.jpeg
    IMG_4248.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4413.jpeg
    IMG_4413.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_4414.jpeg
    IMG_4414.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4415.jpeg
    IMG_4415.jpeg