the Black Knight, a 400four tale.

Re: Black Knight...SUPERTRAPP!!!!

Dude, nailed it. I really need to make myself one of these lifts.

ridesolo said:
Lookin' sweet!

Thanks bud, hope to get a lot closer this long weekend.

advCo said:
Dude, nailed it. I really need to make myself one of these lifts.

I,will send you a drawing this weekend.

trek97 said:
Thanks bud, hope to get a lot closer this long weekend.

I,will send you a drawing this weekend.

Sweet! I need to reconfigure the shop before I add anything but I definitely want to make one come the spring. Can you store it vertically when its not in use?

advCo said:
Sweet! I need to reconfigure the shop before I add anything but I definitely want to make one come the spring. Can you store it vertically when its not in use?

Yea, just unscrew the 2 pivot locks and the top half lifts off. And both top and base cad be propped up on the wall. I’ll do a vid for ya.

Re: Black Knight...Unrealistic goal setting.

Ok Ive got a Goal set.

I would love to ride this thing on Sunday.

Re: Black Knight...Sparckmoto.com saves my sanity

Ok got home from work, made a pot of coffee, procrastinated on FB, then got started on cleaning the harness.

Someone has been here before me. :p

Ugh, the deeper I dug the worse it got. Melted wires and connectors, poorly made splices etc etc etc...

11494-211118201752-4703928.jpeg

11494-211118201752-470458.jpeg

11494-211118201752-47051490.jpeg

11494-211118201752-4706679.jpeg

11494-211118201752-4707991.jpeg

That fuckin scotch lock pushed me over the edge. I hate fucking Scotch Locks.

I made both harnesses for Cherry Bomb and Piglet. And Im just not feeling it tonight.

So, after a quick conversation w Matt aka Sonrier I got a brand new custom harness in the works.

Thanks so much for being there when I need you most 8)

sparckmoto.com vintageconnections.com

11494-211118201751-47021337.png
11494-211118201751-4699241.png

Lewis Preston (the Electrical Connection) calls Scotch Loks "electrical herpes".

pidjones said:
Lewis Preston (the Electrical Connection) calls Scotch Loks "electrical herpes".

haha yes exactly.

Dynatek sends scotch loks with their Dyna S kits for the power feed.

pidjones said:
That sounds so smoooooth. With all of the work in it, it should, right?

Does the Teflon paste really work? At work, we had a lot of SS 1/4" NPT fittings into aluminum castings that had been "sealed" with teflon tape. They carried helium, and all leaked. When pulled apart to repair, they had all galled and ripped aluminum threads out with them. Luckily they were shallow enough to be retapped and sealed with blue refrigerant sealant (LeakLok). Of course, NPT threads have a lot of pressure on them. On SS into aluminum bolts, I've been using a product called NeoLube - collodial suspension of graphite in isopropyl alcohol. When the alcohol evaporates, it's like graphite plating. Fantastic for SS to SS at really high temps, and so far has worked for me on SS in aluminum. You MUST use lock washers, however! (And reduce torque, as it is very slick and easy to draw threads right out.)

Stainless to stainless is always a problem. Antisieze with copper seems to be reliable on bolts, keeping in mind the weakness and gummy nature of stainless and using proper for stainless torque. Pipe threads require nickle. Teflon tapes are made with nickle embedded in them for this very purpose are readily available, and are actually a very good thing to have around for non stainless applications, though a bit pricey. Mandatory for stainless!! Large diameter stainless pipe threads (4" dia plus) are very hard to reliably seal. Teflon/nickle tape and teflon pipe dope has proven the best in my own experience along with great care making/inspecting the threads to begin with.

Personally, I have never had any issues with stainless fasteners in aluminum castings. I think that this is commonly of concern due to corrosion of the aluminum, and while there is some galvanic corrosion from the inherent difference in electrical potential of the dissimilar materials, it seems to be fairly unimportant with bikes. I pretty much universally use blue threadlocker on everything "ordinary", in this case stainless bolts (which I use universally for non critical applications) in aluminum, castings, i.e. case covers to crankcase. I believe this works well because the threadlocker seals out moisture and reduces the contact between the two materials. I absolutely never see a problem even disassembling parts put together for 20+ years. Bikes disassemble themselves without threadlocker in my experience!

Theres some awesome info in there. Thanks! 8)

I dont know that you celebrate Thanksgiving, but if you do, Wishing you the best ever.

A couple paragraphs on Stainless thread galling which touches on the use of PTFE prevention.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article%20-%20Galling.pdf

irk miller said:
Dynatek sends scotch loks with their Dyna S kits for the power feed.

Yes, I wont be using those either. And I still need ro check the magnets for you

Alternate for the Fastenal link: https://www.fastenal.com/en/72/galling

Re: Black Knight...First ride video.

The weather is going to turn foul soon.

I did the bare minimum to get a ride on this thing.

No wire harness, No Lights, No front brake.

I ran a single wire from battery + to kill switch and back to coils. A 2nd wire from Battery neg to an engine cover bolt.

Duct taped iPhone to headlight bucket for the ride. sorry bout that.

https://youtu.be/BVIBqSZlQKM

That will have to carry us until Spring, I guess. Congrats on the 1st outing!

pidjones said:
That will have to carry us until Spring, I guess. Congrats on the 1st outing!

Thanks bud, Yup, This is gonna be one long cold winter.

Back
Top Bottom