2 1975 CB750 F's

Cheesehead

I've been following this forum for a long time but only recently joined when I got an opportunity to buy a pair of '75 CB750F's. A newer aquanitance of mine was going through a divorce and she "just needed to get her ex's bikes out of her garage". The first one had been ridden quite a bit logging about 21,000 miles (Red) & the other only has about 16,000 miles (Orange).

From what I gathered, Red was the real workhorse and the day to day driver. Only recently (early 2000's) did her ex buy Orange. She was not certain of the condition of either, but she seemed to think of Orange as a "parts" bike. I bought them both for a song (as long as I can get at least one of the running). I just got both bikes back to my house and found out that they are 1975 CB 750F's not 1976 as I was lead to believe...no big deal to me though.

Upon my VERY INITIAL REVIEW
Red has no battery, no front breaks nor master cylinder, the fuel supply had been disconnected and the tach had been removed...but that one was the one at was most often used of the two.

Orange has a battery, the front break caliper is locked on the front disc (not too surprised) and has a bunch of tubes that have been cut and were pulled trrough the bike and are hanging out just above the primary side of the bike.

I've been ridding off & on nearly all my life and I've become rather handy working on my own bikes (cams; 16" internally wired apes; trans oil; primary oil ect, etc, ect). BUT this is quite a bit farther out of my comfort zone than I'm accustomed to. Keep in mind, I'm not afraid of learning, making mistakes and and turning a wrench. What I'm nervous about is waiting my time and money in a project that won't be able to go anywhere. For what I paid for the bikes, I'm not afraid to scrap the project and part out both bikes, however, I see this ONLY as a last resort. I'll make sure to post pictures as soon as I'm able to.

So, here's where I can use a hand...where do I start?

I'd like to start with finding out if the engines are any good and go from there, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

Thoughts?

As it turns out Red seems to be seized. I'm going to assume that Red was planned to be the donor bike to Orange. I'm assuming that red is seized up because the kicker won't turn the engine over. Other observations on Red...no battery, the seat bolts holding the seat pan to the bike, no front break - specifically the master cylinder and 1/2 the front caliper, no tach, but it does have a full front fairing...God is that thing ugly!!

spray a good amount of WD40 in the spark plug holes every day for a week. It might work and you can have 2 bikes to play around with...

Marvel Mystery Oil is a great thing to pour into the cylinders of a locked engine.

Back
Top Bottom