Cleaning bugs off leather.

andoor

Been Around the Block
Anyone have any good suggestions. A wet cloth doesn't cut it, and I am to scared to use anything else.

ride in the rain, they clean up pretty good! saddle soad loosens them up pretty well, thats what i use.
kev

I haven't tried this yet myself, but I am probably going to buy some automotive leather cleaner this week for the same reason. And some kind of gray funk that has appeared on one shoulder.

Uh....I probably shouldn't post this but what the hell, you guys don't know me anyway!

I use windex glass cleaner. I keep it out in the garage with a clean towel. Cleans the leather, helmet and of course a quick windex wash for the bike! It cleans it all, don't know how good it is for leather, but I'm still wearing the same jacket I bought 18 years ago!

windex may be one of the worst spray chemicals you can use on leather it will dry it out something fierce... also horrible on lexon and plastics it is a Ammonia based product

ooh ya and the isopropanol is not good for paint/leather either, only thing windex should be used for is chrome and windows

Well, my leather is about as old as the paint and after 18 years I'd say it looks like it is 18 years old and no worse for wear than it outta be. Now the thing about the lexan, I'm thinking that is correct. My helmet is 3-4 years old and the shield is starting to cloud.

Try the Pledge on your cloudy shield. At first it looks like you screwed it up, white, milky, and streaky. Then it polishes out clear and shiny.

Im sorry , I just cant believe this thread has 2 pages.. BUGS??? on your jacket... Oh man.. Suck it up Sally....Your ride a motorcycle...and its not a dress jacket to get in that fancy restaurant that sells little cucumber sandwiches...

I agree with an earlier message... Ride in the rain and all will be well..

hahaha not sure where you are from, but southern IL, wisconsin, and missouri where i do most of my riding has bugs like small birds... if you do not clean it off your leather, it will not only stain but also smell like ass... my company name is on my back, i dont want my jacket that reps my company to look like ass... same reason everytime i ride i wipe my bike down... my buddies bust my balls each time... but usually i meet a new customer on the road because of how my bike looked... 5 seconds to wipe down and turn into $500 real fast.

By the way, I use saddle-soap on my leather and follow that with mink-oil to waterproof it. I'll save the Pledge for the lid and bike. :)

I use LEMON Pledge with WAX you want that waxy build up. To clean, use Baby wipes no kidding.
I stole a full race suit off Craigs's list for $75.00 for a Vanson Volante Double zip, it fits great too. I call Vanson and tell "Matt" my story, he laughed that's $2800.00 suit still in our lineup, now mine is a used one but hey... Anyway he tells me they use the Lemon Pledge WITH WAX and baby wipes to clean.
Cheers, 50gary

JRK5892 said:
windex may be one of the worst spray chemicals you can use on leather it will dry it out something fierce... also horrible on lexon and plastics it is a Ammonia based product

I echo that.

As for bugs, I wear them proudly.

If my leather starts getting a little shabby, I wipe it down with neatsfoot oil. Keeps it supple and repels water without making it a grease slick like mink oil

My leather goods are old, and look it. That's fine by me. It took years to get that patina. I am not about to lose that seasoned look by using something like Doc Baileys.

Back
Top Bottom