Scored a vintage helmet for under $10 shipped!

modifiedamerican

Been Around the Block
Score! It;s even in the old Yamaha Macho Maroon and gold colors. :)

Before you paint it, be sure it is a fiberglass shell. The solvents of most paints will damage a polycarbonate helmet. You might not see the damage, but its protection would be seriously compromised.

Thanks for giving me the heads up! Do u know how to tell if it's fiberglass or not though? And what do u mean that if it's not fiberglass it will destroy it's protection?

Polycarbonate is dissolved by strong solvents like are in most spray paints. It will ruin the integrity of the plastic.

It should say somewhere inside the helmet what the shell is constructed of.

Also be aware that solvents will also dissolve the foam liner to the helmet, so mask off the interior completely so that the liner does not get exposed to the fumes.

do u think ill have to remove all the liner and padding to find out what its made out of? i really dont want to mess the inside of this helmet up lol

Tamiya's a good brand of model paint. Just be aware you'll need a durable clear on it. They're not meant for handling and will wear without protection.

think i should stick with tamiya clear coat if i use tamiya paint? ive always heard if u mix and match paint and clear, the clear can eat the paint or cause a reaction.

Back
Top Bottom