Safety v Style

Swivel said:
Staffy, it’s a personal decision of mine to ride in skin sometimes and it relates to personal sovereignty of my own body. For example I've been to a few mass smoke-ins and have walked around with a big three paper scoob hanging out of my mouth just to make a statement to all that can see that nobody has got the right to stop what I do when it comes to my own body.I'm not a stoner but I'm and extreme personal liberty guy and statements by action need to be made.

Funny you should mention the guy that says he never lands on his head when he crashes.When I fall SK8ing or off a bike I never fall on my head I always fall on my right arm and leg.

And to paraphrase Emma Goldman, I might not neccessarily agree with your decisions but I will also stand beside you to maintain your right to make your own.

At the end of the day riding a bike is about a sense of freedom and choice, on a hot summers day having to spend ages getting ready before I'm riding takes the edge off it for me, grabbing the helmet and swinging my leg over the bike I can be motoring in less than a minute.
I perfectly understand the need to dress as safely as possible, however if wearing safety gear makes you feel safer to the point that you ride harder and take more risks you are possibly negating any benefits by increasing the risks. A mate of mine gets his missus to layer his jeans and I keep promising myself I'll do the same every year, she fits patches inside the jeans on the impact points, he uses Wranglers because the hem is on the outside of the leg which gives extra protection, those cowboys knew what they were doing.

When it's nice I ride 37 miles ONE way to work, so that's 74 miles covered in one day x that by 3-5 times a week.

I work in an office and bring my office clothes and dress shoes that I stuff in my back pack.

Boots, full face, gloves (I have some for different weather conditions), vintage looking leather jacket that is rather thick + insulated.

Main jacket like this:

41UN8zVjP2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I also got this killer 70's maroon leather jacket from a thrift store. Perfect fit but rather thin, may try to wear that in the hot summer months.

Swivel said:
When Y'r sliding down the road in the city denim slows Y'down quicker than leather and much cooler than from the friction of leather.I wear open helmets in the city because I'd rather break my jaw and absorb the impact than break my neck hitting a car.

And this is why, after reading the rest of your posts on this forum, I choose to ignore you.

It's also not wise to bring a knife to a gunfight. Racers wear leather and not denim, and their primary concern is surviving, as opposed to looking like the individual they're supposed to be standing in for during filming, who is likely wearing blue jeans most of the time.

Denim is a very good ablative protective material, YES I AGREE, but you have to wear a ton of it for it to do the job.

Right. You clearly researched your '7071' in the 400f thread. Strong, brutish opinions based largely upon fantasy don't typically fly with realists.

"How many Hollywood stuntmen do you know?" What kind of argument is that? :) I normally wear denim when I ride, and I know full well the risks; I'm an EMT.

I apologize for replying to you; I know I said I wouldn't. There's many other forums where individuals believe their opinions should be taken as law. This isn't one of them.

I'd imagine Hollywood stuntmen would wear denim so they LOOK LIKE THE PERSON THEY ARE THE STUNT DOUBLE FOR rather than because it's better than proper protective gear.

Just sayin ::)

Ringo said:
I didn't know that!

;D

Back on topic, I will post this controverial tidbit. I am a firm believer in context--particularly when it comes to motorcycles. What I mean by this is the following: If I was ultimately primarily concerned with my safety, I would not be riding motorcycles. Take the car with side airbags, belts, etc. Not that I am cavalier about safety on my bikes. I own leather, armor, helmets, and the like--and use them regularly as well. I find it really ironic all of the 'gear' that is worn without context to safety--chaps for abrasion but no helmet--helmet only with jeans and t-shirt--jacket and helmet with jeans and tennis shoes....
There are times for me when the simple thrill of being on the bike--out in the open, wind in my face--absolutely trumps the safety card, and i ride in street clothes and goggles.

I don't even wear sunscreen.

Is it unsafe? Yes. But is it sometimes more about living the experience than providing for my safety at every turn? Also yes. Its not that i don't understand or even ignore the risks. There are certain types of riding that I only do with as much gear on as I can manage, and never attempt without gear. But in those instance where I choose not to wear it, it is a matter of prioritizing those moments in my life that i can later relish (even if it is from a wheelchair) and say that I did that. Is this dumb? Absolutely, but so is getting out of bed in the morning. Riding a bike without another helmet on occasion is one of those calculated risks not unlike crossing the street or skydiving. Geez, my first car didn't even have seatbelts!

I'm not decrying the AGATT guys, or even endorsing riding without a helmet. I'm merely stating my reality when it comes to this kind of thing. The law of averages mandates this won't work for everyone--but nothing ever really does...

I wear denim every time I get out on the bike, with leather work boots that I'm normally wearing anyway. And a set of Leather armored gloves that I got so cheap I just wear them for that reason pretty much. And a helmet because I have to wear glasses and I can't see very well with the wind in my face. I've looked for goggles but none fit comfortably enough.

The Jacket is this, oh yeah and it looks cool but has enough armor and padding in it to let you slide on your back side or elbows. Plus has a liner for winter and is vented for summer, and the elbow armor is good enough to hurt someone pretty badly if shoved in their face in rapid succession. :eek:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/552/ITEM/Cortech-DSX-Denim-Jacket.aspx

And if someone doesn't like the way I look, I give them 2 LOUD exhaust reports in their ears as a I blow the hell on by. ;D Don't really care anyway, I'm not riding for them. 8)

Back to the original point of this thread, style or safety, coming a cropper at 30mph and sliding down the road you are going to sustain less injuries in full racing leathers with padding, high boots, kevlar gloves and helmet, than if you were wearing a jeans, tennis shoes and a unpadded leather jacket. As for the grip effect of denim over leather unless the roads are super smooth the road surface is going to be doing a fairly good job of slowing you down and shredding denim and leather along the way.
On the other side of the debate if your meeting your mates at the pub or the Ace Cafe you probably don't want to look like you've stepped out of some sci-fi movie, I think the middle ground is a traditional well made jacket, good boots, tough jeans, jet helmet and always gloves, Iv'e seen guys in the south of France and Spain riding around in shorts and flip flops and it makes me cringe, as even a minor spill can lead to serious injury.

sleevless T-shirt + cut off denim vest and half helmet.

Not really. My old unpadded but thick leather jacket, leather gauntlet type gloves, half helmet or full face with bandanna to keep the bugs off my neck, jeans, and steel toe motorcycle boots.

Usually put the vest over the jacket.

I hit the side of a pickup truck that pulled out in front of me while I was doing 75kph, flew over his hood and cleared the intersection. I was wearing this get up with a 3/4 helmet and I walk fine and am not disfigured today. Wear whatcha want.

I´ve ridden plenty in jeans and unpadded jacket, with an open face. Mostly I wore full leathers though, because jeans flap around and don´t keep the wind out.
It´s rare that we have the kind of weather that you can ride in just jeans.

Now I ride in full armour and full face helmet. Didn´t feel too unsafe before, but I have much faster bike now, and I already crashed it once.
I had a full face and full (but only padded) leathers, open face would have saved me too.
The skin burnt off my leag and and my forearm, despite the leathers and I´m scared to think what I would´ve looked otherwise.

The point being, I tend to ride much faster and take more chances riding armoured.

I found this thread very interesting, being new to motorcycles I was wondering what I would need to get. I plan on getting a DOT 3/4 helmet, and I have an Obey leather jacket... but honestly I wonder if the Jacket will offer any protection.

This is the Jacket that I have.
http://obeyclothing.com/men/jackets/rapture-jacket.html

DirtbagUT said:
I found this thread very interesting, being new to motorcycles I was wondering what I would need to get. I plan on getting a DOT 3/4 helmet, and I have an Obey leather jacket... but honestly I wonder if the Jacket will offer any protection.

This is the Jacket that I have.
http://obeyclothing.com/men/jackets/rapture-jacket.html

It will offer some, but not much. It's not a jacket designed for protection from a fall on a pavement. Check with Jammin' or LeatherUp, for the same money you can get a jacket that will protect you far better.

Polyurethane is a plastic, in this case layered thinly over a single layer of textile mesh as a binder. THink patent leather with a little less garish sheen.

A cotton-twill BDU coat would offer about the same protection, which while better than nothing, isn't by much of a margin.

Jackets4Bikes offers armored genuine leather jackets for that same price range and a little less, even. ThompsonMX told me about them; I got a cool vintage-look jacket for $99.

Ya, I will most likely get a different Jacket, But I have that one already so I was Just wondering.... Thanks for the info tho.

Back
Top Bottom