'76 360t build, 4yrs to the day and it's finally done!!!!

Re: '76 360t bratsyle build.......

to slam my wifes bob i used suzuki savage shocks... they are 10 eye to eye and are off a 650 i belive, that sucker has some weight to it, if they can support my big ass you guys will be fine! i am pushing 230 now! ha ha ha

plus they are thick good looking shock!

I think the boys have made some pretty good suggestions. The savage bike is way heavier than these 350/360s so that would be a good way to get an extra couple of inches. The way the sw and the shocks articulate it is pretty much toped out. Anymore and the shocks would not function properly.
I just reread and realized that it is already tacked together. Did you strap it and use the swingarm as it's own jig or what did you come up with?

Also, I'm curious too, what are the other plans for the build?

You guys extending your swing arms do need to be careful about the length. I extended Troy's 4.5" and I think that was on the ragged edge. Also, when lowering the bike, there are a couple considerations:

1.) Functional. When lowering the bike way down, the swing arm arch is has already begun to get regressive. It's not like you guys are going to be carving corners or anything, but it is something to keep in mind.

2.) Aesthetics. When lowering the bike way down, the swing arm will be tilted way upwards. On vintage bikes, they are typically parallel to the ground. If you look at pics of Troy's bike, he was very clever and this angle is not abrasive. If he kept going lower, the swing arm tilt would become increasingly abrasive.

3.) Hard struts on an extended swing arm is absolutely insane. That's just asking for component failure

4.) Kiley/Troy are right about a solid jig. When I extended Troy's swing arm, I just built a decent jig. It wasn't enough and it tweeked a bit upon cooling

--Chris

All good stuff guys!
Very good points Chris. I totally agree that the length is right on the edge. We talked about 4.5 but I'm pretty sure ended up going with a total of 5. I really agree that there is a fine line and any longer and it would be way over board regressive due to the shock angle in relation to the sa angle and sa length. As far as I understand that can be changed by moving the mounting points of the shocks and with shock length. Of couse there would be structual facets to consider as well. Like you said Chris, the SA angle is an important part of that formulation and should be considered as well. That is something that initially escaped my thoughts.

I'm pretty sure the last time I spoke with fish he was going to use strapping to hold things together while he tacked it up. That is unless he came up with something different. I think if he did the strapping and it didn't move it should probably be fine. It will move under heat so that def needs to be considered. It is slugged and he is going to have a pro tig it for him. I'd say he is on the right track. Chris, you did an awesome job on my sa and I couldn't be happier. Thank you brother.

Very cool stuff! I'm so thankful we all can get together on here and share information and thoughts like this. Kind of stuff is why I love DTT. It's members it what seperates it from other places. Great place to be.
I'm really anxious to watch the rest of this build.

Thank you guys for all of the advice. I know the arm will be braced when it gets tigged. As for the angle of the shock it's probably at the maximum with the angle. I'm sure this won't be the final of it. It's all trial and error for now.

774-1.jpg

So, this is another direction I can go with??????????????

Any updates rawfish? Didn't mean to leave you hanging but that photo is very cool. I love that bike and I think a stretched SA would only enhance the look. I think if you like it go for it.

troybilt said:
Any updates rawfish? Didn't mean to leave you hanging but that photo is very cool. I love that bike and I think a stretched SA would only enhance the look. I think if you like it go for it.

Sorry for the late reply! The bike has been sitting until today. I'm rebuilding the top end right now and haven't really got to any fab work. The swing arm is done and looks great. Will post pics. soon....

Haven't done much to the bike, but I did spray my brain bucket.
DSCN1558.jpg

Cool helmet. Good information floating around this thread... keep at it!

It's been awhile since I posted any updates, but I've in the garage toolin' away! I put the spare motor in to get the mock up finished. I'm rebuilding the top end right now.
DSCN1629.jpg

VonYinzer said:
Looking good man. Better hurry up, spring will be here soon...

Thanks! The weather in Colorado just need to warm up a tiny bit for me to paint the tin..

Looks good man. Looks like we are in roughly the same stage of our builds.

whats up,

love the build, love the stance.
you need a 19 to a 21 inch up frt, would look killer.
what type of seat are you running??????
also what are your plans for the chain set up??????
any way, looking good.
later

Back
Top Bottom