Speedy's Triumph Hardtail build

nice build man, How about useing an old leather tool roll behind the oil tank? Just an idea

Speedfiend said:
Ha! I know, I know... but it did come off a late model Triumph so... that kinda counts.

I'm actualy thinking of using an old tool box off a H*nda to fill in space behind the oil tank. And my rear fender is from a Commando. Not to mention the eye-tal-yun caliper. So much for my plan. Ah well, mice and men...

I'm digging this build - I'll donate a cb450 toolbox for the cost of shipping.

Hey, thanks for the support guys! And the gracious offer, Rich. I have the Honda tool box already, just hadn't figured out how to use it yet. Looking at my oil tank, I'm not really diggin the way my mounts are. I think I'm gonna rework it a little. I'll keep ya posted.

Love the progress on this. Did a fat burglar in a red suit leave any new bits for this thing under the tree?

Man, I wish. I did pick up a MAP gas set up. Gonna try my hand at bending up a rear fender loop. Oh I did buy some stuff from a guy on the Britbike forum. Complete gasket set, a bunch of SS screw sets and a front brake line. Once I get the fender mounted and the oil tank situated, I just need to make my battery tray and the top engine mount. I think that'll be the last of the fab work. Pics to come soon...

Finally made some progress. I've been distracted with my camper.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=33462.0

And the bike show I'm planning.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=34349.0

And a damn tree fell on my house!

But anyway, Got all my welding finished up. Seat spring perchs, oil tank mounts, fender mounts, axle adjusters, battery box mounts, etc.
IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

Still have to finish the fender loop. And a few little things, like rebuild the engine.

Thanks, though I can't take credit for the welding. I made the brackets and tacked them in place, but my friend/ pro welder laid down the purdy beeds. My welding looks like wiped on boogers. I really wanted the welds to look nice to match the lovely welds on the hard tail. And because I'm gonna have the frame PC'd.

I finally finished up the fender loop.
IMG_0158.jpg

I just ordered the coil. Gotta make the coil mount under the gas tank and the top engine mount.

Looking great - I tried ordering the same tires today for my XS650 rigid, but the rear was out of stock. Have to wait a few days. Sadly there isn't much in the way of a 21 inch front tire to match - just the ribbed speedmaster. Like the MKII on both ends - looks good.

Yeah I love the look of the vintage treads. I looked at the Firestones, but by most accounts they suck out loud for handling. The MKII's seem to be a much better handling tires and get good mileage. I went with a 19X3 up front and a 18X3.5 out back.

awesome build, just picked up a 68 500 daytona hard tail, going to start welding on it soon. so i will definatly be keeping an eye on the rest of your build.

any updates on the build,
any pics of the rear tire fromt the back?? is the tire to the right?
mine is and just want to see if yours is lining the same way.
thanks.

Sorry for the delay, its been a hulluva year.

Finally some progress. Me and the old man rebuilt the engine. Just need to fab the foot peg mounts, tail light/bracket, and a top engine mount, plumb the brakes, wire it and a few little things. Maybe buy spring time...

Some progress. New carbs, cables, chain and other little bits. Got tired of looking at the primer so I painted it with some Roth rattle can metal flake. Looks ok. I need another can of SprayMax and it will look pretty damn good. And welded on the passenger foot peg mounts. And got the tail light mounted. A few things left, but getting close.

I love your build so much. Inspired me to put together a build post of my own (so far Its been slow going, and mostly basic shit/ stuff no one would be impressed with).

I love how you've continued to stick with this project for nearly 3 years.

slow and steady wins the end =)

Made a new top engine mount from some angle. Drilled and welded bungs thru the frame. And I made a hanger for the Boyer box and a coil mount. Almost ready to wire.

Back
Top Bottom