1981 Honda CB750c Brat Build

I was able to get some work done on the CB today.

After about seven coats of paint and three coats of clear coat she is finally close to being done.

image_zps1db1ebb4.jpg

image_zps8fecadd3.jpg

image_zps637f7a6a.jpg

I repainted the stripes and made the center one a little larger. I like this one better.

image_zps6254b81e.jpg

My new battery came in. It is much smaller than the stock one that I was running. It really cleans up the bike.

image_zpsba0ce74d.jpg

Fantastic Paydan! She sure has come together well! I had found your thread early on but failed to post, now I see THIS! Sure put a smile on my face, bet yours is ear to ear.
your seat looks very nice and that tank came out sweet! Do you know what the donor was for that tank? maybe a nighthawk SC? I like the sleek lines.
Also your "before" pic showing the electrical connections under the left side cover made me go out and recheck mine.

image_zps9f9e2839.jpg

Now I think I can clean it up some by swapping them around a bit like they should be... I ran all my connectors coming in the wrong side of the holder. That's the way they naturally "fell" when I layed the harness in place. ::)
So I just HAVE to ask about the Pods, Is she a runner yet? Did it run well befor so you have an apples to apples comparison?

Hey thanks HD. She sure has come a long way and I do have a grin that goes from ear to ear. I have a couple more things that I need to address and then she should be road worthy. As for the motor, she ran but she had been set up for a bit so I am in the process of cleaning the cars as we speak. I also have make the final mounting bracket for the battery. I bought a sealed gel battery that is shock proof so I am thinking of mounting it on the rear swing arm. Once everything is all done and ready to go I am hoping to start her back up and maybe get some miles logged on her. More to come...

Hey man, the bike looks great! I love that you attempted your own reverse cone muffler, I've been thinking of trying the same lately. Once you made your pie cuts in the tube, how did you bring the tube together to form the cone? Did you have to use a form and hammer to keep from distorting the shape, or did you just bend it closed without a problem?

I actually used a couple of pipe clamps to bring it altogether. Once I made the pie cuts I used the clamps to draw them closer together. In doing so it sort of rounded out the edges themselves. When I got it close I just tack welded it and had to do a little hammering to get its final shape. Not a bad project.

Well, I should clarify. What I meant when I said I was going to attempt to make my own, I was thinking about the cone, not the muffler. Though I would like to try a muffler someday, cuz those shorty reverse cones are pricey! I actually want to attempt making my own fork shrouds, and in my excitement of finding someone making their own cones right as I was thinking of trying it, I forgot to be more specific haha.

I was out on my first ride after the rebuild and I noticed that the bake calipers would stick once engaged. I tried several tricks to release the pads but they only lasted temporarily. I had no other choice but to tear them down and do a total rebuild.

Good thing that I did because it looked like the original brake fluid was still in the calipers. Some of it was crystalized but most of it was clotted. Good thing that I tore them down when I did.
image_zps5182aee6.jpg

After several coats of paint they look like this. I went ahead and painted the caliper mounting bracket red for a little accent.
image_zps7582949d.jpg

What a total ass pain! I figured that this was only going to take a couple of hours. Six hours later and I finally ended up with this. No too bad but what a real pain in the ass to do.
image_zpsf2d27cf2.jpg

Both finally done. This is what it looked like before.
image_zpsb8e081e9.jpg

And this is what it looks like afterwards
image_zpsf0ff502d.jpg

Not much of a change aesthetically but just enough to be noticed. As far as the brakes are concerned they are like night and day.

I finally got the brakes all rebuilt and took her out for a ride. She rode like cloud and the caliper rebuild really did the trick. Here is a short video of a quick start up and tour of the bike.

I freaking hate Photobucket. Something happened to my account and it all of a sudden deleted all my pictures. WTF?!

Oh well, what can you do? Here is a quick overview of the build.

Started out with this nastyness
cb12_zps6c06a20e.jpg

First of the teardown
image_zpsd452589c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom