Just noticed you've got the popular thread over on Camaro5. Small world haha
Ha! Small world indeed!

Fender mounted on Frame!

Attachments

• 2015-05-31 21.05.11.jpg
    2015-05-31 21.05.11.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 340
jetmechmarty said:
Those 90/130 springs are very soft for a bike that big with a 180 lb rider. For comparison, I have 170/200 on my XS1100. I don't like dragging hard parts in the corners. I'm in the camp with xb33.
Yeah, I'm probably gonna have to look into getting at minimum the next higher spring rate or new/longer struts; which will make Tune-A-Fish very happy ... lol ... only issue is I'm on a very tight budget and getting is similar quality set of suspension is gonna cost some $'s even with selling the current ones. Afterall, even though they're brand new and never used on the street, they're still used! haha

even stock length shocks or 1" longer than stock wont cure the total fail of basic design you got goin

xb33bsa said:
even stock length shocks or 1" longer than stock wont cure the total fail of basic design you got goin
please elaborate, it's my first build. I understand what you said about full compression of suspension and then the clearance, what else is wrong here? I guess I'll be cutting into it in the future with a list of "lessons learned" ... but currently trying to do with what I have

BTW, the stock shock length is 13.5" and these are 11.5"

"BTW, the stock shock length is 13.5" and these are 11.5" "

Nevrmind, I need 13.5's was thinking they were stock.

The problems looks to be from the tank back and rear axle up. these are easy fixes before you get too far down the road, pull up some KZ builds on the goog and see if you can get a better plan, that tire is way behind the end of the seat and things are lower than need be. I don't subscribe to the purist theory, but some basic rules should be... et hem... followed I guess. The KZ is best at the stock ride height with maybe some seat foam trim to lower if your short legged.

Tune-A-Fish said:
"BTW, the stock shock length is 13.5" and these are 11.5" "

Nevrmind, I need 13.5's was thinking they were stock.

The problems looks to be from the tank back and rear axle up. these are easy fixes before you get too far down the road, pull up some KZ builds on the goog and see if you can get a better plan, that tire is way behind the end of the seat and things are lower than need be. I don't subscribe to the purist theory, but some basic rules should be... et hem... followed I guess. The KZ is best at the stock ride height with maybe some seat foam trim to lower if your short legged.
To touch on some of your points...

The wheelbase is stock and the rider location is also about the same as on the police bike, right in the middle of the V shape created by the frame in the middle. Yes, there will be padding added so it'll bring up the seat height a bit (albeit slightly lower due to my shorter legs) close to stock too. Also, the locations/design of tank and seat pan create sort of an illusion that the tanks is really high and the seat really low ... that's how I mounted the tank; the rear of the tank was raised to almost align the bottom of the tank with the valve covers and not the standard slope (probably about 1.5", just enough that the front wasn't hitting the tree). This with the seat design; that is shaped like a V between the rider's legs, I believe give it a very forward heavy look with a small rear-end. Look at the side profile of mine and a KZ1000P and you'll see the rider is in the same location when seated. Also, it's a single seat; no passengers here!, the the rear of the seat would have an almost Cafe like hump in foam. I would say the main difference is the drop from the 13.5" to 11.5" shock and the fender was dropped maybe another 2-3" from stock location ... one of the real builds I was following was from this bike...with my own twist on the design

Attachments

• 114552298_2thumb_770x574.jpg
    114552298_2thumb_770x574.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 841
Brake light/Turn signal controller going in ... love this little unit; takes momentary inputs and does auto cancel turn signals and a brake input also does the brake lights (turn signals take priority over brake) ... so no need to run a light in the middle, just two red dual filament turn signal housings
fea8a34b69a067664f0764c9c224abd0.jpg

Mean Green Z28 said:
To touch on some of your points...

The wheelbase is stock and the rider location is also about the same as on the police bike, right in the middle of the V shape created by the frame in the middle. Yes, there will be padding added so it'll bring up the seat height a bit (albeit slightly lower due to my shorter legs) close to stock too. Also, the locations/design of tank and seat pan create sort of an illusion that the tanks is really high and the seat really low ... that's how I mounted the tank; the rear of the tank was raised to almost align the bottom of the tank with the valve covers and not the standard slope (probably about 1.5", just enough that the front wasn't hitting the tree). This with the seat design; that is shaped like a V between the rider's legs, I believe give it a very forward heavy look with a small rear-end. Look at the side profile of mine and a KZ1000P and you'll see the rider is in the same location when seated. Also, it's a single seat; no passengers here!, the the rear of the seat would have an almost Cafe like hump in foam. I would say the main difference is the drop from the 13.5" to 11.5" shock and the fender was dropped maybe another 2-3" from stock location ... one of the real builds I was following was from this bike...with my own twist on the design
that thing you want to emulate to me is an ugly POS unsafe unridable,abortion ,built by somebody that knows nothing about motorcycles,and just wants to make noise to get attention but that is just my humble opinion

jetmechmarty said:
Those 90/130 springs are very soft for a bike that big with a 180 lb rider. For comparison, I have 170/200 on my XS1100. I don't like dragging hard parts in the corners. I'm in the camp with xb33.
sent you a PM

xb33bsa said:
that thing you want to emulate to me is an ugly POS unsafe unridable,abortion ,built by somebody that knows nothing about motorcycles,and just wants to make noise to get attention but that is just my humble opinion

Don't sugar coat it! Tell him how you really feel!

Got an old KZ1000 myself. 78 stocker.

Well it's gonna be a hiatus of a week while I travel for work. Have got some good advice over PM on suspension options. Have been looking into different shock options and lengths and travel limiters .. haven't decided on what I wanna do in that department yet. I've got a week to research and ponder while away. Meanwhile, all the wiring for turn signals etc. was laid out (yet to run brake light wiring) and am now deciding on what turn signal housings to go with.

Hmm looking at it from here, almost seems I can get away with lifting the rear back up to stock length and replace the dual exhausts with the 4-1 header and do more of a street fighter look ... have the header already

ea23d9a01fde5e709a38fbc1f4dfd106.jpg

Mean Green Z28 said:
Hmm looking at it from here, almost seems I can get away with lifting the rear back up to stock length and replace the dual exhausts with the 4-1 header and do more of a street fighter look ... have the header already

That would get my vote. "Streetfighter" respects that engine more than any cruiser/bob thingy.

Back
Top Bottom