Should I attempt an Ironhead build as a novice?

Spexx

I just finished my first ever build, which was a Suzuki Savage bobber. I kept it simple and I didn't have to do much in the way of mechanics on the engine. Turned out ok, nothing spectacular, but I like it. I'm looking for my second project and came across a good 1981 Ironhead rigid rolling chassis. It has a nice springer fork, recently chromed wheels, and some extras (sissy bar, nice handlebars and switches, and they guy is throwing in the pipes and tank) for $1,500. Seems like a good deal, but my question is whether as a novice I want to try to deal with an Ironhead. I've heard lots of bad things like:

- spend as much time wrenching as riding
- can't withstand long runs at high speed
- tend to be ridden very hard

Should I spend the $1500 now and build the ironhead or wait until I can find an EVO or big twin to chop? Am I biting off too much?

That's a personal decision depending on how much you want to and have the ability to fix. Ironheads are notoriously untrustworthy. Parts aren't terrrrrribly expensive, but personally I'd rather ride than wrench. More fun getting on the road than chasing gremlins. Unless you can find a runner for that money, my $$$ goes to an EVO.

You'll either love it and dig the experience of laying hands on it or hate it and find something else. Like coyote said, it's all up to you and your efforts how and bad you want a certain machine. Any used machine is going to need some kind of attention.

Ironheads are radness. But, if you want real reliability I hope you're ready to spend some cash. Mechanically the Ironhead motor is a dinosaur. About as simple an engine as you'll find. Really very easy to work on.

Alright I went to see the bike last night. The guy was a young kid -- probably in his early 20s and lived in a the rural ghetto WAY out in the country. When I pulled up to his place at like 10pm I was uncomfortable. Partly because I was surrounded by hillbillies drinking shine and partly because there were about 20 loose pitbulls tracking my truck. There was also a weird truck following me really close down the road. His house was a quarter mile down a dirt trail with mobile homes on either side of the road. As always on these excursions, I was packing my 9mm. But I've never seriously thought I would have to actually defend myself in a CL meeting until last night.

Well, I pull up to the guys house and the kid comes bounding out. Early 20's guy named Jay, and I it was immediately clear that I had the situation totally wrong. Super nice kid. Some of hillbilly neighbors came over to shoot the shit. Great people. Lesson learned again: don't judge a book by its cover. Jay takes me back to his shop and shows me the bike. 1981 Ironhead that he built from scratch. His shop was organized and clean. The bike was torn apart becasue it needs a new head or something. I don't know. But he did a nice job with the build. Pretty classic 70s style chopper with springer front end, fish tails, and a black and siver flame job tank with silver fenders. Looked good.

The whole drive up I was still going back and forth about whether I wanted to dick around with an ironhead. But when I saw what this kid had one I was pretty well sold. We made a deal for $1550 after he threw in some miscellaneous parts. Then we hit a snag. In NC sellers have to notarize their titles when selling. He has signed buy without a notary seal. I picked my money off the table and told him to text me when he got the title sorted out. Maybe fate intervened to protect me from myself?

On the way home I was actually a bit relieved. I've decided to pass on an ironhead and wait for a good deal on an evo or big twin. In fact, after I got home I got a lead on a 1999 883 runner for $1400 that's totally stock so I can build it how I want. Assuming that the bike runs and drives as advertised, I'll snap that up this weekend. Thanks for the advice guys!

883's a GREAT starter bike, and a really solid platform for a café racer. Sounds like the ironhead was already on its way to chopper destiny, which is fine, but difficult to turn back from. If you do get the 883 and find that it lacks the get up and go you're looking for, a 1212 or 1250 kit will only set you back about 700 bucks and be a heck of a lot quicker than a stock 1200 (due to different gearing). A little work goes a long way on those "pigs"

Hit google images for Sportster café, there is TONS of inspiration out there. Hell, there are quite a few on this site alone

Back
Top Bottom