comstars

vandito.cb

Been Around the Block
why do people seem to dislike them so much?

i have come across countless threads about people expressing their dislike of them and i understand spoke/wire wheels are visually pleasing, but i find the stock wheels to actually look appealing.

i don't mean that in a 'everything has to be stock' kind of way; I'm actually quite the opposite. these are the first [factory] wheels on any bike or car i've owned that I've not only had no desire to change, but actually enjoyed.

am i the only one that genuinely likes them or...?

I have no problem with comstars myself. I like a lot of alloy wheels. Maybe a preference thing?

seems to be so.

i'm used to newer sport bikes (came from suzukis) and three spoke wheels---now those to me were unattractive at best, but not nearly as ugly as the price of aftermarket wheels.

the coms have a nice mix of a factory look with a...not factory look which is nice.

that's just my $0.02

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

I have Comstars on my CBX550 and rather like them, certainly no intention of changing them. The more modern 3spoke sports bike wheels are less appealing to me I have to say.

With chunky tyres I think they look smart.

I have said many times that I don't like them. I like them in concept, but there are design cues that make them look cheap to me. Mostly the folded edges on the first gen and the way the fins are attached to the outer rim instead of cast as one piece. My brain says cheap Chinese knockoff, even though I know they're nothing of the sort. They improved them with the reverse Comstars, but still have a cheapness to them. For whatever reason, taking away the bevel or fold and casting the sides as one piece makes them look a lot better, which is the case with the Astralite wheels. I really like the Astralites.
001.jpg

I don't love em or hate em, I own 2 bikes with them LOL. when painted up they look alright and I have never seen a cracked one either, until a 200lb doe ran head first into my front one on my GL, there was a little crack on one spoke and the wheel was bent in by 1/3 or more, also the tire didn't lose any air. ;D

I always thought they looked a little clunky/awkward. But after I saw a set in real life, I thought they were actually pretty nice looking.

I have a CX500 in boxes and I plan on keeping the comstars.

~T

NoRiders said:
Here's my boomerang Comstars

what tires are you running?? I have the other boomerang comstars and am looking for tires like yours

Kamn said:
what tires are you running?? I have the other boomerang comstars and am looking for tires like yours

I read a few reviews and spoke to the outfit who sell these to gauge their experience, as they run them on their enduro bikes,....all good, so I thought what the heck, give it a go. They did the matched pair in the sizes I wanted as well.
MEFO Sport Explorers

http://www.zenoverland.com/tyres_tubes/mefo_explorer.html

only problem for me is the shipping
and they don't sell the size I need here for the front AND the rear tire is very pricey here

I'm not a fan of them and never have been.
The early ones used 'stainless steel' spokes (that went rusty pretty quick) plus steel rivets with plastic covers that caused corrosion leading to the 'spokes' coming loose.
The later ones were all alloy with ally rivets but still had the problem of water (plus salt in winter) getting into the riveted joint.
I think the reverse spoke had some sort of sealer to prevent 'ingress of water which pretty much cured the issue (maybe just European market?)
By then, it was just too late for me to like them (same as the crappy V-4 750's with multiple cam/cam drive issues - even the second gen gear drive ones)
If anyone wants a cheap reverse spoke 19" for a 900/CBX I got one I won't ever use (it's wider than 750 front rim but hub is same)

Structurally Comstars and Astralites are actually spoked wheels rather than one piece alloy wheels, both are very strong for their weight and are better than 1970s alloy wheels, both suffer with the same problem, the rivets can work loose over time, especially if used on bumpy roads a lot, personally though I'd have a Comstar with over a 70s alloy wheel, you can refurb the Comstar.

Back
Top Bottom