New Age Cafe Racer - Honda CB750 -79 from Finland

Thanks guys!
I wonder how much effect this does, but we will see.

Guy who made exhaust is well known racingbike builder, so I think he knows what he do.
But we will see.

Not that surprising with how many modern sportbikes have 1-2, 3-4 merge. Well set up I don't think it'll make a huge difference. I know merging 1-4, 2-3 helps mid range torque, but merging 1-3, 2-4 done right just acts like a 4 into 1 which is more for top end. And if it couldn't be made to perform I think factories would have changed it up by now.

Not surprising to me.. here is a stock Gsxr 1000 header from 01-02.

Attachments

• 2002-01-02-SUZUKI-GSXR1000-GSXR-1000-OEM.jpg
    2002-01-02-SUZUKI-GSXR1000-GSXR-1000-OEM.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 761
I'm pretty sure the firing order on a GSX1000r is 1-2-4-3 (outside in), which is different from the CB750.

Solved few big problems...

Rear shock.
Original GSXR1000 rear shock had a gaschamber and it was way too close to the carb, so I couldn't fit the pods.
Finally solution was to buy a new rear shock

YSS MZ456-305TR-28X. Model is made to fit in Honda CB600 and length of it is 305mm.

Only problem was that this shock had loop-style lower end and I needed fork-style lower end. Also this shock doesn't have interchangeable lower end.

Original fork-style lower end

New shock with loop-style lower end

After some googleing I contacted YSS seller in Finland and they said straight away: "Sure we can change it" 8)

Sended shock to them and after couple days they had switch the whole lower body and center arm. Lenght extended from 305mm to 320mm, which was better than great to me!

Ready to rock!

Now rear shock is attachted. Shock is just right length and has great stiffness, so when you sit down, the rear end doesn't get much lower than in the pics.

Stance is great! I like size of the gap between rear wheel and rear end of the bike

Shipment from the states
4into1 send me a package. It contains new pods, sidestand spring and exhaust gaskets.
Pods look and feels good and finally they have enough room to fit in. 8)

Parts keep coming, but I think I can finally see end of this buying period :D
Last purchases
- Kawasaki Z750 -06 clutchlever setup
- Shorty-style clutch- and brakelevers
- New front and rear brake fluid reservoirs
- Rubber bits for fastening the tank etc.
- New throttlegrip
- Fuel hoses and filter
- Brake fluid hoses

Z750 clutch setup and new lever

GSXR1000 brake setup and new lever

Still to come:
- New battery
- Wires and electricparts
- Leather wax for the seat
- New mirrors

I also bought Por15-set to coat/seal tank from from the inside.
More of this later.

Next huge thing is to settle wires and start this beauty for the first time in 18 years. Fingers crossed!!
First step for the wiring is done, but lets get back to that later

Original wirings

Months ago I bought bar end mirrors and turn signals.
Just like I thought, I can't install them at the same time because they both use same kind of fastening.

I really want mirrors and turn signals to my bike, although legally you could leave turn signals and one of the mirrors to the garage.

So we came up with this plan:

From the factory this is the set-up. Lens -> threaded rod -> rubber -> washer -> nut.
By tightenin the nut rubber will expand and when you push whole thing inside of your bar, it should stay there.
(same set-up with the mirrors)

This is what we did.
I bought same size threaded rod but longer piece. Drill it through, so it became threaded tube and pull the wires through.
Rod to the lens -> fabricated metal sleeves(?) for the mirror -> mirror in -> nut to tighten mirror to the lens -> Rubber piece (will buy longer one) -> washer -> nut.

Pics:

Exploided set-up

Finished set-up

This way I got what I wanted.

Clip-ons has to be modified. Have to drill a hole to get wires out.
Wires will come out to the original "box" where all main switches are. Then from there in same route that all the other switches wires goes.

Thinking the future... Wiring, start-up, rear cowl and paint.
Have a good weekend! ;)

All the parts for the first startup is now ordered and should arrive in next week.

I ordered a new neutral switch, an oil pressure switch and a small diode for the main wiring.
All the hoses, filters and wires has already arrived.

New coils, sparkplug wires and -caps

All main wires are connected. (battery->ground / battery->starter relay / starter relay->startermotor)

I have red from multiple forums about regulator location.
I'm going to move the regulator from the tray to outside to get some air.
Have to figure out where to put it...

Location of the licenceplate... Well had to make decicion and the plate found place side of the bike.

Workshop machined 1/3 off from the bracket so it have a step in the bracket and can be locked to end of the rear swing.

Licenceplate lights

I was bored so I made these carbonfibre plates to cover front fender fastening points.

I picked up my clip ons from the workshop.
They drilled inner hole longer and made hole to the side so I can get front turn signal wires out.

This is the final setup

For the final setup we changed few things:
I made new metal sleeve that goes straight through to mirror. To this sleeve we made threads so it can not rotate.
Also we drilled the locking pin through mirror and that sleeve, so the mirror can not rotate on the sleeve.

At this point it might work 8)

Fuel lines done

Fuel line from the tank -> fuel filter -> carbs.
It was little tricky to figure out where and how to put fuel filter without too much "uphills" and turns to the hose.

I used pipeclamp with rubber insulation to hold fuel filter in its place

Coating the tank

The fuel tank is old and has little rust inside. When I filled it with water, it was all over rust-colored when I poured it out.
Also you could hear little crumbles rolling around at bottom of the tank.

I bought Por15-kit.

First I have to say you all who are planning to do this: the process is from hell and takes huge amount of your time ;D

First instructions advice you to flush the tank with fresh water to get bigger particles out straight away.
Remove every removable part (petcock, fuelcap etc.)

After that you have to clog all holes excluding filling hole.
First issue comes at this point. As you may know or guessed, these duct tapes doens't hold when you are going to use hot water...

My advice to you is to fabricate pieces from a sheet metal or something that you could bolt tightly to cover holes.

1. step in the real process is to put Marine Clean in. Add same amount hot water.
This will remove grease and other not-wanted-stuff.

After that seal filling hole and pray it will hold ;D

I shaked the tank about 15 to 20 minutes and after that I let it stand 10 minutes on its each side.
Finally flush it with fresh water to get all cleaner out

2. step is to put Metal Prep in. It will prepare metal to receive coatingliquid.
Same process again. Clog holes, metal prep in, seal the filling hole.

I shaked the tank approx. 20 minutes and after that let it stand 20 minutes on each side of it.

Finally flush it good with fresh water. Even the last drop of metal prep has to get out.
After this you should get the tank 100% dry and fast as possible.

I took the tank outside to the sunlight... (its been crazy May in Finland. Temperature between 24 to 28 celsius. Normally we would talk about 15 celcius)
I shaked most of the water out and finally put hot air blower to heat up. (you are not allowed to use compressed air)

Last phase its coating

Before you clog holes one last time, you should put bolts in, because coatingliquid will coat up threads also.

You should not shake the canister, because it would produce some air bubbles and you don't want them. Although you have to stir it well before using.

Liquid in, seal holes and gently rotate tank all around.

Many times I thought will this work and will it cover all edges and sides of the tank.
Apparently liquid is pretty "smart" and will expand all over the tank.

After rotating 15 minutes I poured excess liquid out and cleaned outside spills asap.
You should use gloves because this stuff will be in our hands atleast two weeks ::)

It will dry 96 hours and after 7 days you can put gasoline in.

These pics are after two days of drying and as you can see, some air bubbles formed during the last phase.
Surface looks good

I'm not sure did I post picture of this already, but my friend from the states dropped me cognitomotos gearlever adapter.

In these pics adapter is in wrong way because gear selection order is upsidedown.

What comes to wiring this beauty, new diode arrived...

...new neutral switch...

...and new oil pressure switch.

We are now going through wiring and this picture shows my mood atm

This wiring sh*t is not my cup of tea.

But will see...

Two and half months since last post...
Positive progress has happened but lately some negative things also

Wiring this bike was pretty difficult for me and finally I made a decision to buy a m-unit with goodies

Set included m-unit V.2, m-switches and m-button

With these great items I figured out wiring and also made it very easy.
Finally bike was ready for her first start up

I might have told you but this bike hasn't been running since year 2000.
Its 18 freakin' years!

Well that day came and after long time period of trying, it finally came alive.
I was so nervous but happy after everything.

Here is a short video of its very very first start up.

https://youtu.be/mvBoKwl0aLY

What about those negative things...

Time. As you all know, time is one of the hardest thing to control.
This project should be on the road if you ask me, but our time is limited and first thing where you see it is here in this project. Unfortunately.
It was greatest summer in Finland that I have ever lived, so I was more in to other things than this project.

Next big thing is location. Bike is currently in my parents house 18km away from my home or from my work.
You don't just go and do few things for a hour.

By now it looks like this bike is not going to be driven this summer/autumn, so I think I will have my own garage opened again in autumn.
After that it is easy to take few stairs and go to do something.

New problem came when we noticed that lower cylinder gasget is leaking a lot.

This mean I have to open the engine again and change that gasket.
Motivation level just dropped to zero ;D

Someone could say "this is motorsport" and I think that someone would be right.

Also two carbs was overleaking and we found out that needlevalves were faulty. Ordered new ones and changed them. Doesn't leak anymore.

My to do -list is simply and ready so I know exactly what to do and everything is already planned.

p.s.
Do you know any companys around Europe that could make customlength cables for throttle and clutch?
Not feeling right with original long ones.

I always use Venhill for cables, they make kits and also bespoke cables..

https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-amp-components/workshop-kits.html

ONE YEAR AND FORTY DAYS LATER...

It's time to bring this project thread back to life.
A lot has happen during this time.
My garage is now renovated and I can finally use it. I bought new bike for summer to kill my need to ride.

As always this project got hidden under dust but now I'm ready to finish it.

Day when I got my garage back from builders

Huge amount of dust after renovation

I painted my garage floor white and still need to sort my tools

Tomorrow I will make a new to do list and see what to do...

and about time too , slacker.... ;) ;) ;)

spectacular work

one thought though, with that 1 litre or so of petrol that will never come out of the tank you will end up with a certain amount of water in there, it'll settle to the lowest point and even though you've lined the tank may eventually rust out the bottom, at the least it might end up in the carbs if you run the tank real low
probably nothing you can do structurally now but maybe occasionally chuck a cup of methylated spirits in which will allow the water to mix with the fuel and get it through without too much problem

spotty said:
and about time too , slacker.... ;) ;) ;)

spectacular work

one thought though, with that 1 litre or so of petrol that will never come out of the tank you will end up with a certain amount of water in there, it'll settle to the lowest point and even though you've lined the tank may eventually rust out the bottom, at the least it might end up in the carbs if you run the tank real low
probably nothing you can do structurally now but maybe occasionally chuck a cup of methylated spirits in which will allow the water to mix with the fuel and get it through without too much problem

Thanks! ...and I know it's been a while ;D

That is a good point! Didn't think about that...

Well...that was a good hours spent reading your epic build (I should be in my garage on my project).

Excellent work done by you and your friends/garages and the bike does look and sounds awesome. Shame about the gasket...I'd be gutted too.

I feel a bit better about buying parts that I'll not use, but thought I would. You must win the prize for that? Haha.

Happy riding :)

Back
Top Bottom