Possible new retail store...

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
So, I've been talking to the locals here, and frankly its time for those of us who arent interested in Harleys to have a place of our own to buy parts and apparel. Dont get me wrong, I like some Harleys, but I'm not interested in non D.O.T. brain buckets, and jackets with "live to ride" patches on them. That said, I'm scouting some locations for a small but dedicated retail shop that is geared towards the vintage set. We would also run a website to reach interested folks outside of the area. Rent around here is usually dirt cheap, and the "staff" would be friends and family to keep prices low. On top of the retail side, we would also offer minor repair / mantinence work (My partner in this endeveour is a trained, at WyoTech, mechanic and fellow bike nut.), and hopefully some of our own decent custom cafe parts down the road. The guys and gals on here who build seats/tanks etc worry not (not that you would need to, your products are all top notch). Out of respect for your work and all the help given to me by you we wont be going that route, but would be more than willing to sell your parts in the store if you wished. We would focus on more basic, and hard to find things like shortened cables, gauge faces, etc... On top of cafe related bits, we would also stock bobber/chopper parts geared towards the japanese bike scene, and used parts. Im waiting for information from some very well known parts and gear manufacturers, and hope to have their backing soon. All that said, we also want to carry more "lifestyle" related products. Clothing, magazines, music, artwork, really whatever is cool and people want. So is there anything I'm leaving out that you would flip your lid for if you saw it for sale in your local shop? You folks know as well as anyone, that this whole thing is as much a way of life as it is a hobby or whatever word you may use to describe it, and I aim to encompass all of the aspects of the lifestyle that i can. Thanks ahead of time for any help. Mike.

You're in the Pittsburgh area? If yes, that's a day's ride south of Toronto.

Sure am. Im actually about an hour north of Pittsburgh. Last time I came up to have some fun in your beautiful city, it took approx. 6 1/2 hrs.

tWistedWheelz said:
how is this coming and do you have a web site yet? Good luck!
Its coming... Very early stages right now. Still talking to suppliers and getting a feel from riders in the area as to what the're sick of having to search around for. Like I said earlier, this is going to be a "lifestyle" shop. (I hate that word...) Not just parts and riding gear, but music, mags, books, art (there are some great local artists here, and i want to carry prints of all the masters... Roth, VonDutch, Williams, Crumb, etc...), music, really anything KOOL. Its going to take a bit to line up all the suppliers and find a quality space. Im working with a guy now about going online first. Keep an ear to the tracks though. Im workin as fast as i can! Im also dealing with the realitys of trying to be so diverse in what i want to offer. Not everything is going to be possible, but if you folks let me know whats important to you, ill push a bit harder for that stuff. You are the main customer base (although admittidly not the only) im trying to serve, so speak up! That said, let me reitterate that i really dont want to step on anyone elses paycheck, so if theres something you really dont think i have a right to peddle, and i dont think your just being a dick, i wont. Its a big world and we can all find a pot to piss in if we work together. Thanks.

Well- that sure encompasses a lot. You'll find that what people SAY they want and what they just like to look at are 2 different things. Don't be afraid to be flexible and toss things out, or refine, or add to.
Also, if you take work in, don't under-value the shop. Be realistic and tell people upfront that a new battery is not going to make their bike like new. Often times, a realistic estimate is $1200 and they'll say, "But it ran great when I parked it!" Yeah... Otherwise you'll get into a bike and the guy doesn't think the work done is worth it and the bikes start piling up and- Trust me; it'll sink you.
OTOH- if you're realistic and good, you'll slowly develope a following.

Good luck ~

tWistedWheelz said:
how is this coming and do you have a web site yet? Good luck!

Yeah, let me know if you need some webdesign assistance. I still have some shopping cart asp.net software laying around here somewhere from previous projects.

I'll go ahead and say "I'm in"
I know you're talking retail, but if you'll ship way down here to Alabama I'd rather pay a few bucks more for something knowing that it goes to someone who is trully passionate about what he's selling. So count me in for whatever you're selling that I would need (of course this is within reason...). But you're a solid dude and I'd do any business with you that I could!
Good luck and keep us updated.

I know of a great place to advertise. Has some 3,800 or so members. Most of us are vintage metric lovin fools ;D Anyway, yep I'd love to have access to something like that. If you are an hour N of Pitt I'm 3 hrs from you. I'd be up for a day of lounging around your shop ;). Good luck. Stoked to see it happen!
Troy

Back
Top Bottom