any sites for performance mods for honda twins?

linkandcuff

i'm in the proccess of picking up a 78 hawk 400 and was interested in whats out there for performance?
i was thinking high compression pistons (maybe make it a 450cc)
Cam air pods exhaust and porting and polishing the head..
anywhere on the internet worth looking at?

The Hawk 400 is not exactly a popular platform for a high performance twin. There's not much out there for it.

I would have to agree with Dr J I just picked up an 80 cb400t about a month ago as far as a fun bike to ride it's all that but not much more can be expected for performance. unless you are going to customize yourself. Herr decon has one and is redoing it to stock configuation. I hope to paint mine this winter which I will post up. and MBS is helping me with new vinyl decals for the old girl. The stock set is going for $154 bucks for some stickers. I don't think so.
What were you looking to do? Port and polish you can do. if you are upping the piston size just run 450 pistons and hone to that size the bike can handle it. there are aftermarket exhaust and you can slap on a larger carb set. Unforunately the bike was built at the height of EPA standards so she is built for lean running and good fuel economy not power. maybe try an older cb platform you would have much more luck finding people who build parts for them.

Cheers

you are limited to weight reduction, which is easy on these. Pods, exhaust, (Re-Jett required). There isn't a whole lot more than that. You can increase the Hp some with that. Good tires and maybe some upgraded suspension. That is about it, there isn't any internal performance products like cams or anything. You could do what I did and get a 450 out of an 82-89 CM/CB, it bolts right in, has the same carbs, is a 6-speed. And is a little better with the oil cooler and head oil line. I got mine for 150.00 and made the biggest difference vrs the 400 engine.

Cheers,

Mortikan said:
I would have to agree with Dr J I just picked up an 80 cb400t about a month ago as far as a fun bike to ride it's all that but not much more can be expected for performance. unless you are going to customize yourself. Herr decon has one and is redoing it to stock configuation. I hope to paint mine this winter which I will post up. and MBS is helping me with new vinyl decals for the old girl. The stock set is going for $154 bucks for some stickers. I don't think so.
What were you looking to do? Port and polish you can do. if you are upping the piston size just run 450 pistons and hone to that size the bike can handle it. there are aftermarket exhaust and you can slap on a larger carb set. Unforunately the bike was built at the height of EPA standards so she is built for lean running and good fuel economy not power. maybe try an older cb platform you would have much more luck finding people who build parts for them.

Cheers

I wouldn;t bore the 450. Honda made big oiling and crank spec changes when they changed the motors, It would cost less to buy a used 450 engine and bolt it in, there is 0 mods needed and you get the upgrades Honda intended as well as the 6 speed.

Cheers,

Maritime Biker said:
I wouldn;t bore the 450. Honda made big oiling and crank spec changes when they changed the motors, It would cost less to buy a used 450 engine and bolt it in, there is 0 mods needed and you get the upgrades Honda intended as well as the 6 speed.

Cheers,
I did not know it was a direct bolt on. Cool. I have a cb400t so I already have the 6 speed. I don't do a lot of highway with her so I can't say I have noticed any real difference. I took the old girl a few weeks ago 5 hour ride up to vermont. the shelburne museum. 6 speed was nice lowered the rpms while cruising less buzz.

When my 400 blew a piston I started looking for a new engine and found out that the 450's from 82-89 were bored out 400's with the oiling improvements and the cranks and rods were beefed up. Since my bike crapped do to poor oil flow, I focused on finding a 450 twin, ended up with a CB450T 1982. The engine has the exact same externals, mounts etc. Most of the parts are interchangable on the 2 motors, just the pistons, crank and rods are different, and the oil cooler and oil line to the head. Way less $$ to just get a 450 if you want to increase the CC's, you get a little better design for longevity.

Cheers,

thanks for the info...i think i'll run the 400 for awhile since its really not all that bad i just plan on making it a cafe racer and wanted to match performance with looks if u know what i mean

Yep, lighten it up and it will make a huge difference. That is the core of what a cafe was. any bike you could get at the time, stripped to only what was needed to run and go fast. There is a lot of dead weight on these bikes that you can drop and it makes a large difference. If you follow that principle, it will work just fine. I would have been happy with mine as a 400 for a while, if the piston hadn't tanked. cheers!

Back
Top Bottom