GS450 "Sport" - Done!

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Stripped down

Petcock is in good operating condition, turns smooth, no leak from the vac port. It does however run even when turned to the off position. Previous owner stated the tank was por'd. I have a feeling that they did not remove it when they creamed the tank. If your looking for perfection no dice. If your looking to possibly clean and replace an o-ring its a real deal. i can pull it off and send it if you need it no problem.

Wife, kids and I are staying with the mother in law due to some medical issues she was having. Bike and a BIG pile of parts and misc are piling up under her car port. I miss my garage and she is getting impatient with my clutter. Anything I can't get out of here may end up headed toward the salvage yard very shortly. I had posted up many of the parts on GS resources and noone seemed to read or be interested. It would be shame to dump many of these parts if ANYONE can fab, reuse, or use on a restore. :(

Gary

Dang that sucks, sorry to hear about that. What parts are you looking to get rid of?
Sorry about hijacking the thread for a sec Rich.

Dane, Rich

black 450 L tank. no dents, recently por'd
chome fuel cap for tank
petcock
fuel sender unit works well

chome rear fender
rear fender light assembly
inner fender liner

battery box (may or may not use under cafe hump (thinking more trouble than its worth)

turn signal mounts and assemblies. on cracked rest in good shape.

origional step seat (a resto guy would love) I opened up just the front. Padding is great, cover is mint.

factory mirrors in good condition

misc airbox, intake parts

nice chrome chainguard

speedo and tach parts. The large singular unit. Case is cracked but all internals work perfectly.

I am sure there are parts I'm missing.

buy, sell , trade, giveaway.. It all has to go ASAP. Crazy deals....LOL

In all seriousness, If you need something I've got let me know

Gary

Oops - forgot to update this. Since I got back from Barbers, I stripped the frame after Mothgils did some welding (thanks again man!). I didn't take any pics of the frame since it was painted, I may even strip it again. There was a reaction to the appliance epoxy - some spots are grainy but it appears to be sticking fine........

But here's something else I've done: sprayed a little aluminum engine paint on the cases and the jugs:

photobucket-18692-1350894064719.jpg

I'll be cleaning the head assembly over the next couple days and painting it next week.

There we go... about time I head something of this one.
Engine's looking good!
Duplicolor?

Thanks gents. Honestly Hoosier, I've had the can sitting on the shelf for a while, and used it at 2 in the morning.........could be Duplicolor........

Thanks guys. I've got some small parts rolling in, and will hopefully have a chance to get some work done Sunday or Monday.

No prob on the welding man! Anytime! Looking forward to the rest of the build!

Looking good, man!! You definitely went a lot more in depth than I did.
You also have the tank I want!! ;D

Thanks Bill! I've made a little bit of progress since my last update, but nothing mind blowing.

I'm assuming the E/S tank? I may be getting rid of the one on my GR.......I'll be sure to let you know first if I do.

Big Rich said:
Thanks Bill! I've made a little bit of progress since my last update, but nothing mind blowing.

I'm assuming the E/S tank? I may be getting rid of the one on my GR.......I'll be sure to let you know first if I do.

Please do, I'd appreciate it!!

I'll get some actual "progress" pics later. But for the time being, I've been hoarding some parts.....

photobucket-55038-1352859561642.jpg

Engine gaskets, GS500 stator, speedo and tach cables, clutch plates and springs, new front sprocket, exhaust gaskets, front wheel bearings, and some good old Metalcast........

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Amassing parts for now.....

If you can swing it,use a mosfet R/R with the GS stator.Run the sensing wire to the positive side of the coil wire or CDI.I don't know if your 450 has CDI.It will free up a few watts and let the R/R, rotor, and stator run cooler.

Thanks Ben! I'll probably get a standard GS500 R/R since they are plentiful. Eventually I will get a solid state unit though.

Big Rich said:
Thanks Ben! I'll probably get a standard GS500 R/R since they are plentiful. Eventually I will get a solid state unit though.
Awesome.

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Reassembly begins.....

At 9pm last night I had the front end bolted up to the painted frame.......and this is what followed (busy night):

Bottom end back in the frame:
photobucket-49287-1352968474149.jpg

Battery box, swinger, peg mounts, etc mounted:
photobucket-46983-1352968473344.jpg

Same on the other side:
photobucket-49286-1352968472537.jpg

You can see the difference in the "hammered" paint on the frame and the appliance epoxy on all the bolt on parts:
photobucket-48671-1352968471709.jpg

And this bothered me......the intake ports have a weird lip inside- seems like they were just cast in to restrict flow:
photobucket-49284-1352968470886.jpg

So with a little rasp in the drill press, here's what happens:
photobucket-50267-1352968475761.jpg

That's it for the night!

Back
Top Bottom