1976 Honda CB360T - The first step is admitting I have a problem build

Worst cb650 ever said:
This is the all CB360 / CB650 / VF750 / CBR900 / what else ya got? thread. I do have a thread for each of my drinking problemsbikes, but this one gets the most love ;D

Interestingly, I think I have three different charging system designs on four different Hondas over 17 years :eek:

That 650 charging system.... Do they ever NOT break?

I was more :eek: when the 650's charging system wasn't broke! I rewound the charging rotor myself after finding it was fried and replaced the fried regulator / rectifier unit with two rectifiers from Radio Shack and a Ford F150 regulator. Then I ended up replacing the two melted spark units and the wax leaking coil packs with CB750 units, as apparently the 750s have better parts even though they are interchangeable down to the connectors. WTF Honda?

I'm on the fence between taking the charging rotor apart again and finding what's left of the end of the wire and hooking it back up or just buying a good used or rebuilt unit. The taking it apart scheme costs me $free.50, so I'll probably start there.

crazypj said:
I would just solder the ends back on the terminals ;)

I would if I could find the end! I already had to do that once, and now I can't find the end of the wire. I guess I'll have to disassemble the rotor assembly and dig a little more magnet wire back out. #$*&, I sealed that thing up with Loctite on the screws and caulk over those.

LOL, ;D
It's all fun when you think it's fixed.
Dremel with a ball end carbide burr works great. 8)
It's probably easier than cutting the crank pin welds out to dis-assemble crank ;)

I got the damn thing fixed back up, and I'm getting just about 13 volts at speed. Not very impressive, but at least it's not discharging anymore. I also forgot how stiff the throttle is on those mechanical slide carbs.

I know, whine whine whine...

You have something set up wrong.
I've used Mikuni and stock Kei-Hin but never had a 'heavy' throttle pull
If you have 'push/pull' cables, make sure they are not too tight (can happen even though you have movement at twistgrip)
The throttle barrel acts as like a brake on the handlebar. Make sure cables are lubed
If it's 'whining', gears are meshed too tight (are wee on the VF again? ;) )

crazypj said:
You have something set up wrong.
I've used Mikuni and stock Kei-Hin but never had a 'heavy' throttle pull
If you have 'push/pull' cables, make sure they are not too tight (can happen even though you have movement at twistgrip)
The throttle barrel acts as like a brake on the handlebar. Make sure cables are lubed
If it's 'whining', gears are meshed too tight (are wee on the VF again? ;) )

All the "whining" is coming from me - it makes it hard to hear motor problems ;D

The cables probably do need to be lubed again. I ordered a new aftermarket R/R to see if I can up the charging voltage with that, as my repaired charging rotor reads between 5.5 and 6 ohms, which is right in spec. The stator is fine as well according to the multimeter. I'm really annoyed as this bike ate an AGM battery due to marginal charging. More annoyed at myself I suppose...

I ordered a TrailTech Vapor computer and "dashboard" for the CBR900. The setup I purchased was for a SV650, so it has a water temperature sensor instead of a head temperature sensor. I want to button up the 900 so I can decided to ride it or sell it, and having a working instrument cluster would be helpful.

I also spent some time on the Interceptor, taking out the rear tensioner and removing the tensioner spring's plastic sleeve, which fixed some chain looseness. There was a little more wear on the cam lobes than on the front cylinder bank, but nothing that was too worrying. I have to set the valve clearances and then I can button up that motor and reinstall it in the bike to see if it will run. Here's hoping!

Other than that, I've spent time riding the CB650, which leaks a little oil and burns a little oil too. I think as soon as I sort out the charging system I'm selling it, as to make it perfect would require tearing apart the motor and re-ringing and re-sealing it, which I'm not interested in doing. It uses so little oil that I haven't had to add any since I changed the oil last year, so it's not a big worry other than the occasional smoke from the exhaust when idling for more than five or ten minutes. I replaced the valve stem seals on it and that took care of a lot of the oil smoke, but there's still some, so the rings are probably worn.

The 360 donated its battery to the 650, so it's been sitting neglected until the 650's replacement battery arrives. Oh well, at least three out of four bikes are now running, a new personal best!

Worst cb650 ever said:
Oh well, at least three out of four bikes are now running, a new personal best!

8) ;D

I have one from ? (forgot how many bikes I have in pieces 8~9? maybe 6?)
360 needs carbs re-built again ::)

The only reason I have so many bikes running is that I'd like to thin the herd a bit. Hard to sell them on Craigslist when they aren't running :)

I have most of the TrailTech unit up and running on the CBR. I need to install the water temperature sensor thingie and get a new "magnet bolt" for the speed sensor. I was having trouble getting the tach to work, and after double and triple checking that I was using the pin that fed the factory cluster, I realized that the factory cluster doesn't get a true spark "signal", it gets a varying voltage to move the tach's needle motor. Whoops.

I ran a wire to the 1 - 4 ignition coil's low voltage side and all is well in the world again. That TrailTech is a nice piece of equipment, though it looks a little small in comparison to the stock CBR cluster. I like the specs on it as well - "Input voltage: 4 - 400 volts AC or DC." :eek: Apparently you can run the thing straight off the ignition pickup on dirt bikes with no onboard battery. Made in USA as well.

Just thought I'd ping the thread to let you all know the 360 hadn't fallen on me and trapped me in the garage...

I've been riding the 900, working a lot of overtime, and spending time in the garden, so I haven't spent much time in the garage sadly. On the plus side, the garden gives me blueberries. The overtime just gives me a summer cold.

Turns out the clutch cable on the 900 was too tight. I discovered this while rerouting the cable while truing the front end (the bars should point straight when the wheel points straight, right?). I think I found an extra 20 hp in the process. I also found that now I have to rev match on downshifts better or I'll lock up the rear wheel. The rear wheel getting loose on a supersport is...exciting. Good thing I have those extra cheeseburgers in me to put over the front wheel to keep it on the ground or I'd really be in trouble...

I pulled the carbs off the 360 yesterday and reset the float height, but it got a bit too late to test the bike much. It did fire right up without the choke, but it was also 80 degrees last night. For giggles, I attached a spare motor run capacitor to the bike and kicked it over a few times. I was able to get the running lights and gauges to light up, but the 480uF cap didn't have enough cap-acity (heh) to get the thing to fire up. I think I have another motor run capacitor lying around. Maybe if I get close to 1F I might be able to run it as a kick-only capacitor bike. Or not :D

I've an interview for a promotion this afternoon, so I hopefully (?) will have less time to work on bikes but also perhaps a bit more money. We'll see.

Good luck too...

Also, To kick start with a cap, if you turn off all lights, kill switch off (no electrical demand), and kick it a couple of times, you will add a charge to the caps. Then be ready, turn the kill swotch top run and kick, you might get a quicker start...

I had the headlight off, but the running lights stay on. I could tell I was getting some power by the lights lighting up. I turned it into a British vehicle - two light settings, dim and flicker ;D

Thought, seriously, I had a set of 86mm cylinder bores, pistons, and rings arrive for my Dad's TR3 motor. I guess he's getting serious about rebuilding this thing. The old bores were a thousandth out front to back. And about 2-3 thousandths out side to side, whoops :eek:

All of this is just because I haven't pulled the trigger on a new battery. I've been borrowing the 360's battery for the 650, which I have finished diagnosing as still having a f'ed charging system. At least the 900 is running well, and almost getting me pulled over for going, uh, fast. Thanks to the friendly trucker who gave me the high sign that there was a county mountie up around the bend before I blew past him somewhere around 1/3 the speed of light. I need to stop working so much (still at work now) and spend some time "working" ;D

Once again I spit in the eye of all that is right and true in the world and have succeeded in getting the Interceptor running.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59016.45

All about "could I do it" and nothing about "should I do it" ;D

Back
Top Bottom