1972 Jawa 250 Californian - Rust Machine

Thanks Swamp. I should have it started in the next fortnight. I'll post a video of my 'lawn mower' in action.

Getting ready for startup

Mocked up an IV bottle while painting continues on the tank.
176.jpg

Cable tied up the electricals in place.
177.jpg

Then attempted a startup and got nothing. Checked my spark and there was nothing. Ah, too late to sort it out so called it a night. I'm going to start with running a fresh ground wire from the engine to the battery and then go from there.

D.

Just be careful with the milk bottle IV. HDPE is porous and not very chemical resistant. Also has a low melt point.

Added a hard ground line to the engine. Still no spark. Grrr

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

damiansd said:
Added a hard ground line to the engine. Still no spark. Grrr

Are you shorting the connection where the "Stop/Run" switch would be in the harness? or are you just hard wiring the ignition coil to the battery/regulator?

Just want to make sure you aren't forgetting something silly like a run switch just because it's not installed yet.

Edit: hmm... just went back and you've accounted for the Kill Switch... are we sure it's a kill and not a run? (Make versus Break to run)

I will try both. This thing has me beat at the minute. Walked away so I don't trash the whole thing. Will be back to it soon.

ahem... any updates? I find this build fascinating and can't wait for the next installation of goodies...

Damn Nate, I though Damian posted an update and got my hopes up.

Damian, I have just bought a small 2T, you at least have to finish this build before I finish my 2T.

Hey gents,

Saturday I finally sorted the spark issue. And as expected, it was dumb.

OK, here is a simplified design of the coil I have:

coil-design.jpg

Here is how I used. As I have a single I wrongly assumed I could just connect one ignition post. Unfortunately by doing this I left the coil circuit open, meaning no spark.

coil-wrong.jpg

Here is what I did to achieve spark.

coil-right.jpg

Brodie, I'm back on the horse. Might even get the motor started on this Melbourne Cup Weekend. Here's hoping.

D>

Excellent news mate. Good to see you got it sorted. It is always the simple issues that take the longest to sort.

Triple, forks, shocks and handlebars went on today. Now I'll start working in electrical.

178.jpg

I'll need to keep myself busy while saving for rims and tyres. Why are things so pricey in Australia? I get a little sick of the 'water tax' we pay sometimes.

D>

Nice... Your kid will have a ball learning to ride a motorcycle on this little Jawa.

Back
Top Bottom