Opinion on RD400

Mike Lawless

2006 HD Softail Deluxe - 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Looking for a project bike, I ran across this RD400 about 100 miles away.
Looks OK in the one picture, but the ad says it needs pistons and cylinder bore. Kinda looks like the carbs are off too.

Concerns....
Price seems a bit high for something that probably doesn't run

Also since it doesn't run, there's really no way to know if the bottom end is good or if it is knackered

Thoughts?

https://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/4687874645.html

Mike Lawless said:
Looking for a project bike, I ran across this RD400 about 100 miles away.
Looks OK in the one picture, but the ad says it needs pistons and cylinder bore. Kinda looks like the carbs are off too.

Concerns....
Price seems a bit high for something that probably doesn't run

Also since it doesn't run, there's really no way to know if the bottom end is good or if it is knackered

Thoughts?

https://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/4687874645.html

i just finished rebuilding my RD 250.
i spent for my piston and bore kit around 250 euros (its a euro RD 250 1 A2).
i spent for a nearly complete bike 800 euros.

where is the one carb?

dg heads....pretty rare and expensive (on the internet for around 450 euros....).

dg pipes are pretty cheap (250 euros).

i would def take the bottom end apart,crank seals,gaskets...better be sure.

IMO way to expensive (aside for the DG heads :D )

that is a great deal !! buy it now !! an rd400 without the boat anchor mags which is what ruined the bike

Aside from the spankin easy 2 stroke maintenance.even I could rebuild that RD...:)

I would worry more about rebuilding the crank (pricccey in.europe),stuck piston or seized rusted cranks...

But these heads are the bees knees.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm gonna pass on it. As cool as it is, I think there's too much risk with the motor not running.

I'm also looking at an '82 Ironhead Sportster. Lots of options with that.

$1600 is a great deal. If it wasn't across the country, I'd be all over it. Never see them running for less than $3500 here.

You want a project bike. If you send the parts out and put it back yourself. It won't be that expensive. Older DG's have a nice sound. The heads are easily worth $350. Plus the bike freakin rips. Talk him down on price and get it.

davedogg said:
You want a project bike. If you send the parts out and put it back yourself. It won't be that expensive. Older DG's have a nice sound. The heads are easily worth $350. Plus the bike freakin rips. Talk him down on price and get it.

^
+1

Thanks guys. Yes, I do want a project bike. Although the RD is cool, I'm still gonna pass on it. I found a nice running HD for close to the same money. And this is what I was really looking for. The RD just kinda "came along."

Y'know, it would probably not cost to much to ship. If it's worth what you guys say, it would be a good buy even factoring in the shipping. Go for it!

Back
Top Bottom