XT550/SR500 FrankenThumper

Yamaki

Been Around the Block
I finally decided what to do with my really busted up XT550 and my extra SR500

Both are more or less rolling chassis as of now, but tomorrow i will try to make something fun and funky looking by combining them.

n75t1U3.jpg

3IcuayH.jpg

Bad pics but its the only ones i have at the moment.

Anyone know if the forks are a direct swap or do i need other bearings or modifications to the stem?

The XT550 engine is turning and the PO told me that it had a weak spark. Time for new cdi? Or could i use the complete SR500 wiring for it?

Also the carb boots are done for, and im already nervous as to jetting and adjusting the weird two stage carb.

So this is going to annoy me later on, but i started the tear down of the xt550 before i had it running anyway ::) I got tired of waiting for spring.
I took it apart a little and decided to run the xt forks with an 18" front/back tire, some upside down stock sr handlebars and the sr tank. And i will make a new subframe as well.
Tank still needs some more massage before it will clear the spine.
BcVScwp.jpg

Mocking up stance and ground clearance. Im going to make it really low, uncomfortable and unsafe, i doubt it will ever see any twisted roads anyway ;D 60-80 mm fork travel once i get some spacers sorted. No rear suspension probably, maybe some kind of bar with a small leaf spring in the middle. Just trying out some weird ideas on this one.
Btw, in case you didnt know, sr forks is a bolt on swap on the xt550.
6YmPRDt.jpg

I went with the xt forks though, i just need to learn how to lace the xt hub into the sr rim, how do i find the lenght of the spokes? the rims both have 36 holes and the angles are the same.
8eV9y8A.jpg

Do you have a title on that spare sr500, and do you want to get rid of it for a reasonable price??

Floegstad said:
Do you have a title on that spare sr500, and do you want to get rid of it for a reasonable price??

The spare SR500 is german, no papers or title. I dont know the procedure of how to get it either:/ tell you what, if you come by with that spring one day, you can take the frame and rear swingarm with you?

So i let the bike rot in my basement for a while.
Took it out the other day and here it is now.
Looking much sharper with the gsxr running gear.
IKgRNyf.jpg

61YXUM0.jpg

Went to the shop for some late night welding.
Maybe it's a heavy construction but i wanted to try this approach ever since i first saw it. (Work in progress)

Thanks for the kind words:)

Edit: frame work almost done for the tail/seat.
3EEWDUz.jpg

ydaQks8.jpg

I got really busy as i started to make a living from wrenching on old jap bikes, just got my own workshop so onve again it is time to get a little further on this project.
Going to mount a vz21 turbo with a draw through carb setup. It will probably be done in 10 yrs or so lol, but im having a good time with it which is all that really matters ;)

Pics incoming

pXCarvR.jpg

yhQvaUa.jpg

Gonna be a hot seat lol :) planning to put insulation on the inside and some heat wrap on the pipe going to the end pipes which i hope will make it cool enough to ride it more than down the street and back.

Back
Top Bottom