GR650......starting over for the last time

And here's the 3/4 Endurance fairing from Airtech loosely mounted up (it doesn't photograph well since it is SO bright and my garage is so dark......)

Haha! Thanks Rich. Good job on that Virago btw - I've been watching that but know nothing about them.....so kept my mouth shut.

But anyways, progress is going to slow a good bit for a while. I'm financially obligated for something, and my wife is having surgery this Friday (and no, it's not getting her foot removed from my ass). But once I get money and time, this project should move quickly.

When are you getting that foot thing taken care of? That sounds just awful.

Nice work so far, hope Meg get's through surgery without issue. I also hope there will be a set of dual headlights in the fairing.

Thanks Mike - she is going to be layed up pretty bad for a while. But here's what I'm looking at right now:

The light on the right is the 4.25" H4 light from Airtech. The light on the left is from an old Derbi moped and is about 5" around. The reason the Derbi light has been hacked open is to fit one of these:

http://stores.advmonster.com/led-lights/

I have the model 44 installed on my GS450 right now, and might go with the model 60 on the GR.

Well, the H4 would be a normal headlight (hi/low). The led light is retina roasting bright, so it would be hooked up to a relay to the high beam.

Big Rich said:
Well, the H4 would be a normal headlight (hi/low). The led light is retina roasting bright, so it would be hooked up to a relay to the high beam.

Ahh gotcha, that should be cool

I'm taking a similar tact on my build with the LEDs. So far, the one I have tried doesn't have enough light output. Was meant more for a fog/daytime running light setup. The one you chose looks to have much better light output. Can't wait to see it. Also, I noticed at some point you switched to VM carbs. What's the setup, and how does it perform on the GR? Did you block off the "swirl generators?"

Joe, the led lights from ADVMonster aren't really suited for normal street use since the output is so high, and the light pattern is so spread out. At least not the Model 44 / 60 / etc. Their H4 bulbs on the other hand, are getting really good reviews. If you look around my GS450 thread, you can see the light output from the model 44 light.

Now about those VM34's ..... I love them on the GR. They use the stock intake boots, but obviously need a 2-1 throttle cable. And it's easy to find the jetting for them since guys have been using them on XS650's for years! Matter of fact, when I was searching for jetting info I kept coming across Tim's XS650 here on DTT. I did block off the swirl ports, but just used some vacuum plugs from AutoZone (they do need replaced fairly often though because of the heat from the engine drying them out).

Big Rich said:
Joe, the led lights from ADVMonster aren't really suited for normal street use since the output is so high, and the light pattern is so spread out. At least not the Model 44 / 60 / etc. Their H4 bulbs on the other hand, are getting really good reviews. If you look around my GS450 thread, you can see the light output from the model 44 light.

Now about those VM34's ..... I love them on the GR. They use the stock intake boots, but obviously need a 2-1 throttle cable. And it's easy to find the jetting for them since guys have been using them on XS650's for years! Matter of fact, when I was searching for jetting info I kept coming across Tim's XS650 here on DTT. I did block off the swirl ports, but just used some vacuum plugs from AutoZone (they do need replaced fairly often though because of the heat from the engine drying them out).

We run those advmoster lights on the road.They have bright and dim function.

Cool. I may have to see if I can squeeze one of those in my light housing. Thanks for the info on the VMs.

Made some VERY rough mounts for the headlights. Left a good bit of steel so I can make adjustments for ride height:

A view behind the fairing:

And messing around with electricity:

Cool. Saw Meg came out of surgery ok, so when she is all healed up this can kick into high gear right? LOL.

Yeah man, there will some good updates coming up soon. I have some parts on order, but I'm also trying to save up for a gas tank for my welder......

I'm in ! Wow man you just got the GS done and moved on to the next I like it !

Ha! Good to have ya along Scotty. It may have seemed like a quick transition, but I've been eyeing up the GR for over a year now. So I'm anxious to get back at it.

Back
Top Bottom