78 KZ400B1 Scrambler To Be

Looks killer.

If you have some extra material on the seat cover, glue some 1/2" green upholstery foam over the base foam it will get rid of the lumpiness.

Pretty cool man. Glad you got it going and nice work on the exhaust. If you don't ride two up, have you considered a solo seat with a rack of some kind to haul stuff?

advCo said:
Looks killer.

If you have some extra material on the seat cover, glue some 1/2" green upholstery foam over the base foam it will get rid of the lumpiness.

I do need to do some more work on that seat or have it covered professionally. With the warmer weather it is a bit loose and needs to be tightened. The other thing is that the leather I used on this is pretty thin, it is super soft and feels great, but because it is so thin it shows everything. Good idea about adding some additional foam - I will give that a try.

canyoncarver said:
Pretty cool man. Glad you got it going and nice work on the exhaust. If you don't ride two up, have you considered a solo seat with a rack of some kind to haul stuff?

I will not ride 2 up on this and I cannot really imagine anyone else doing so. I am currently running the stock seat pan but am not against changing it out for something custom. I have not thought about adding a rack. That is a really good idea and would fit this well, I'll have to look around to see if I can find pics of something that would fit. Did you have anything specific in mind?

diggerdanh said:
I will not ride 2 up on this and I cannot really imagine anyone else doing so. I am currently running the stock seat pan but am not against changing it out for something custom. I have not thought about adding a rack. That is a really good idea and would fit this well, I'll have to look around to see if I can find pics of something that would fit. Did you have anything specific in mind?

Nothing specific, just the ability to carry a backpack, case of beer, some tools, groceries, etc.... With a neat little scrambler like yours, camping gear comes to mind.

Maybe something like this could be modified or added to:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Sissy-Bar-Luggage-Rack-For-Yamaha-V-Star-1100-Classic-2000-2011/123380285119

canyoncarver said:
Nothing specific, just the ability to carry a backpack, case of beer, some tools, groceries, etc.... With a neat little scrambler like yours, camping gear comes to mind.

Maybe something like this could be modified or added to:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Sissy-Bar-Luggage-Rack-For-Yamaha-V-Star-1100-Classic-2000-2011/123380285119

I was thinking the same thing - finding something to modify, that exact listing was one of the things that I saw that might work. Thanks for the idea and the encouragement.

If it came out half as nice as the rack on this one I'd be happy: http://www.bikeexif.com/ducati-custom

You got the welder and your newly acquired skills. Fab your own rack. I made one for my kz750 using 1/2" round tube. Look at the KZ400 Deluxe rack for inspiration, if you can find one I would snatch it up, but they are rare. BTW the exhaust came out great. I dunno what your budgeting is like but if you find a old school dyno shop its worth getting the time IMO. Tell them you will do all the work, you just want runs and their insight. Makes dialing the carbs in a breeze. I spent $200 for 4 runs. I had it pretty close before but the jetting was spot on after that, and you get to see some HP numbers as well.

doc_rot said:
You got the welder and your newly acquired skills. Fab your own rack. I made one for my kz750 using 1/2" round tube. Look at the KZ400 Deluxe rack for inspiration, if you can find one I would snatch it up, but they are rare. BTW the exhaust came out great. I dunno what your budgeting is like but if you find a old school dyno shop its worth getting the time IMO. Tell them you will do all the work, you just want runs and their insight. Makes dialing the carbs in a breeze. I spent $200 for 4 runs. I had it pretty close before but the jetting was spot on after that, and you get to see some HP numbers as well.

Doc, thanks. The skills are on the low side but still developing. I'm sure I could find a dyno shop around here. That would be great. BTW, thinking ahead a little I did weld an O2 bungs into each header so I can do some tuning when the time comes. I may invest in gauges and sensors and do it myself.

I have been thinking the same things along the lines of making a rack. Even if I buy something I would probably still have to modify it to work. So I've been looking around my shop and my scrap pile to see what I have laying around. I have a couple of pairs of old handlebars which have some interesting bends that I could work with and they would have the benefit of looking like an extension of the frame. The downside is that it would be awful bulky framing for a rack that would be fairly small. I think it would look out of proportion.

Then I found these extensions on an old Delta compound miter saw. I didn't measure but I'd guess they are 3/8" or 1/2" round bar - plenty strong enough. I like the turn up on the end. I considered using them as they are but I think I will cut and weld it back up to be one bar across the back (the hoop) and only one down the center. Then I will probably weld a couple of pieces of flat stock across the top for a platform and to tie it together.

Now I just to get up the nerve to cut back the stock seat pan (that is in otherwise great condition) to just behind that brace to basically make it a one up seat as was suggested. If not it will be a pretty useless rack of only about 4 inches or so since the stock seat currently follows the line of the rear hoop. I think it will look good once finished but man I'm a little nervous that it won't. Well, I guess I could always weld the seat pan back together if I don't like it :)

(please ignore the mess, I promise my work space usually does not look this messy)

48482170357_b8e90835c6_c.jpg

48482170342_1af48c5334_c.jpg

I began cutting up the scrap pieces that I found and welding them back together to the configuration that I wanted. I also cut the seat pan back about six inches to allow room for the rack. The cutting of the seat was not as big of a deal as I feared, this model had the little cowl at the back behind the seat (see below) and the seat pan began to bend up to match the cowl at the point where I trimmed it off. So I think the point where I cut it looks natural and hopefully will look stock-ish by the time I am finished.

kawasaki-z400b-jpg.jpg

48519274061_74ba10ffe7_c.jpg

48519442902_4747b0772c_c.jpg

Since these pictures were taken I have welded 3 pieces of flat bar across the top of the rack and covered the seat a one piece of 1" upholstery foam. Thanks for the tip, that really smoothed out the surface. I have yet to fit the seat cover but I think it will look tons better.

Next up is to fit the seat cover, clean up the welds on the rack and mount the rack to the frame.

Rack has been welded up, welded on and painted and it took much longer than I thought it would, but doesn't everything always. Stock seat pan was cut back a few inches to make room for the rack and effectively make it a solo seat. I added additional foam to the seat to smooth it out as was suggested and I had to find a new cover because the old one was super soft but very thin and was already starting to wear in a few places. The paint on the rack is a little too glossy right now but it is the same matte frame and roll bar paint that is on the rest of the frame so it should fade a little as it cures.

48643026293_2aa2aa7bca_c.jpg

48643026333_e0c3c05ee3_c.jpg

48643026348_65bc22b401_c.jpg

48643026343_d61ac3516e_c.jpg

48643521557_b65e22766b_c.jpg

Now back to main jet tuning, but it is getting close to done. After I have the carb jetting dialed in I only have a few small tasks to do and it will be ready to get plated and get on the road.

Thanks Doc and CC and thanks for the advice and inspiration.

iatethepeach said:
How much beer can it carry?

At least a 12 pack, maybe a 15/18 pack. But if you get creative with stacking and bungee straps then the sky is the limit!

Great build and great documentation! Thanks for sharing. I'm about to start on a Honda CB125 and a CM200t, and this is a real inspiration. What are the tires you used and how do you like them?

Back
Top Bottom