The z50 Zombie, Back from the Dead - a Honda Mini Trail resurrection

Nick check out CHP motorsports. They're just north of you around Tyler, TX. They stock a ton of parts for the mini trails and I'm sure shipping would be quick for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

clem said:
Nick check out CHP motorsports. They're just north of you around Tyler, TX. They stock a ton of parts for the mini trails and I'm sure shipping would be quick for you.

Good deal, thanks for the link. They have a lot of stuff I'll need at good prices, too. I have been shopping at http://dratv.com as they also specialize in minis.

You need a thread for the CT70. Mini Trails unite!

Yeah. I've been dreaming up a mini trail challenge competition but I'd need to find another junker to start with since mine is too nice to thrash through trails now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Ok so I’ve collected most of the parts i need to rebuild this engine. I’m currently fighting removal of this blind bearing for the transmission. I’ve tried heating the case/freezing the bearing, blind bearing puller, welding a nut to the bearing and using a bolt to pop it out, and the bread trick without the slightest budge.

Attachments

• IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 239
Nah mate, you're swearing at it wrong. Flick it the V sign and call it a C U Next Tuesday.

A version of the bread idea is to pack it with grease and drive in a suitable drift to force it out.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up cutting it with a tiny ground down wheel on the dremel at an angle. Once the needles were out and the race was cut I was able to use the blind bearing puller and yank it out. Just barely nicked the case but I dressed it up with some 600 grit and it’s hardly noticeable. Moving on!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 252
Some progress. Got the blasting cabinet set back up and cleaned up the crankcase halves. Still deciding if I want to paint while it’s apart or seal the cases and paint then. I kind of want to paint them separate to have that detail of the black fiber gasket showing between the case halves.

I disassembled the transmission to give everything a good clean. Toothbrush in mineral spirits and a good bit of compressed air. I’m glad I did as there was a good bit of grit on some of the gears. The shirt forks and gear selector shaft were pretty clean, but I took it apart and cleaned it anyways. When I was putting everything back together one of the cotter pins that holds the gearshift selector guide in place popped off and flew across the shop. I looked for about 30 seconds, decided I’d never find it and bought a new one for a few bucks on eBay. Should be here Friday so that will go back together then.

Still need to press in the two needle bearings for the transmission shafts in the case before I can seal everything back up.

I yanked off the seized bearing on the crank, froze the crank, heated the new bearing and tapped it on with a hammer and some PVC pipe. Crank is ready to roll.

Attachments

• IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    930.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 235
Nice indeed. That crank looks well cold - pretty much how my entire garage is looking at the moment.

Took a little time last night and set some new transmission needle bearings in the crankcase. Here’s a neat trick: I used some HF wide jaw locking pliers and a 9/16 socket to seat the bearings. They were frozen as well to make installation a little easier. I just tightened the pliers up little by little until the bearing was fully seated. Worked great.

Attachments

• IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 230
Back
Top Bottom