Dynabeads...your experiences???

madmatt1

Been Around the Block
I will soon be replacing the tires on my Suzuki SV1000. I would really like to use beads when it comes time to balance them. I work at an automotive dealership- we've used them on larger truck tires and they seem to work well. That being said, please don't tell me about how well they work on your box truck, farm tractor, etc. No offense ;) What I am looking for is input from anyone who has used balancing beads on their daily driven motorcycle. I will be running this bike on the highway, backroads, and everything in between. I don't want to mount and balance my tires twice. I'm specifically checking out the dynabeads...I have done a lot of searching and can't find any conclusive evidence that they are either good or bad....

Not sure what you're looking for - some like them some don't for a variety of reasons. There are a number of discussions on the board you could scan through to garner an opinion, but IMHO they haven't been thrown out of the building as a sham so they must work for some people and are worth giving a try if you want to.

I might give them a try on my SR500 now that you mention them.

When I completed the R1 front swap on my kz750 I mounted up some race takeoffs and tossed in dynabeads to see if they were a gimmick, or actually kinda worked.

Before putting the beads in I did a primitive balance and they definitely needed to be balanced. Threw the wheels on and went around the block. At about 35-40 I could feel both front and rear wobble. Tossed the beads in, aired up and went back out. It did knock most of the wobble out, but not 100%. Decided to get my Evel Knievel on and take it to as close to 100 as possible. At about 90 it started to wobble like it did at low speed with no weights.(Instructions do say not for race use) Not a dangerous wobble, but you could definitely feel it in the bars and butt.

Moral of the story, if you want a perfect balance.....use weights. If you're like me and rarely have enough road to get up over 60, they work great.

I use them in my Yamaha Silverado Cruiser but don't in the tires on my BMW K1200RS sport touring bike.

They work great and yes when you first start moving you will feel a little wobble but like it says once you get to regular road speeds they clean all of that up.
The cruiser is going to be more of a straight line and not throwing in to corners like the sport bike.

I'll be honest with you Tim, I just like the idea of not having visible weights on my wheels. I just don't want to go this route if there is any compromise over conventional weights.

Like Cklamer said, my Kz sees 90% straight lines so i have no problem with them. I'll stick to weights on the GSXR.

I really do love them in the tires on my Yamaha and as you said no weights showing on my chrome rims.

This is the bike I use them in and the main reason I haven't tried them in the BMW K12RS is I just have not ordered anymore.

CopyRoadstarMidnightSilverado009.jpg

Also remember these are beads so no tire sealent or anything like that can be used. So if you go flat on the road you are stuck unless you have a plug kit and portable air compressor.

Great info guys- thanks. I'm pretty anal when it comes to my main modes of transportation, and have enough stop & go driving to do, where any kind of low speed wobble would most likely drive me nuts. I have everything needed to do one bike as of right now. I think I'll save them for my CB350 project instead of taking the chance on this one.

When I did the wheels on my XS650 and wanted them to stay 'nice' looking I went with fancy chrome spoke weights vs the lead weights they stick to the rims.

XS65020071101007.jpg

One reservation I have is once you put them in, they're in. Taking them back out would be a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom