Yet another won't start question. 72' CL450

ubergeek

Let me start off with the fact that I am a long time lurker first time poster.

So I recently bought a running 72' CL450 (verifed at purchase by me via test ride). Get the ol girl home and give her a good romp durning this I notice she is holding RPM's so I pull over shut it down and restart it, BAM strait to 4k! I get the bike back home and figure out the one of the auto advance springs is week and it is not returning so I order that part. (pain to find but thinks to the fourms found out the xs400 take the same springs and Mikes XS has them for $6). While I am waiting for the part to come in I figure I will give everything and adjustment. So I adjusted the valves, changed the plugs and oil, and cleaned the carbs. I get her all buttoned back up and she won't fire. Won't even sputter. Spark is good, compression is good, fuel is good, this leaves timing. crack open the alternaor cover, and break point cover. Here lies the issue it has a Newtronics system in it not breaker points, where am I supposed to hook up my test light? It all the Newtronics site says is set time per your manual. I have no wiring diagram or anything for the system. I was hoping maybe one of y'all had some experiance with this system so I don't have to pull the tank and seat and test all the wiring to figure out how this thing is hooked up. My guess is when I pulled the unit to get at the advancer i put it back on wrong and I am more then likely 180* out. Thanks for any help.

Maybe this will help, similar issue as yours. They have a diagram written up.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=8052.0

1972 CL450 cannot be 180 degrees out. There in only one pin on the cam to mesh with the points actuator.

So I figured out the issue, clogged slow jet. Must have missed it the first time through when I cleaned the carbs.

Coffee Guy I noticed that. I think I may have been using a little to much carb cleaner in a not so well ventilated area :-\

Back
Top Bottom