1976 Honda CB360T - The first step is admitting I have a problem build

I'll check with the place I normally deal with, but they're mostly motorcycles.

The left cylinder is now not firing at idle - you may recall I had the same issue with the right cylinder a while back. The symptoms are a good spark when the plug is tested leaning against the head, but the plug is black and wet. I swapped the coil and plug to be safe, but that didn't help. The carb float is not stuck and the float bowl gas level matches the right carb. I'm going to redo the valve clearances, but I still have 170 pounds of compression cold. Sigh.

Plugs shouldn't be black or wet, your not leaving the choke on for too long?
Usually you can open it to first detent as soon as bike is fired up

I actually don't need to use the choke at all - never have. That's probably not a good thing :p

Have you done Trek's mod to keep carbs upright?
The only time I've seen them get real rich is when the carbs are tilted backwards, sometimes the entire motor is tilted back

I haven't done Trek's mod yet, but the carbs look level without it - I think the way I have the UNI air filters installed keeps them straight. The issues I'm seeing are at idle on the center stand, so they're not even bouncing around or anything.

Trek's mod is on the short list - I have an angle grinder and a stack of scrap sheet steel. Time to make some sparks like it's an '80s rock video ;D

Uni's - don't flow as much air as K&N.
That is part of the problem.
Have you oiled them?
Wrap in kitchen (paper) towel and squeeze any excess oil out, they should be almost dry when done
Do not wring them, it breaks down the foam
I stuff a couple of paper towels inside before wrapping, it's quite surprising how much oil comes out

crazypj said:
Uni's - don't flow as much air as K&N.
That is part of the problem.
Have you oiled them?
Wrap in kitchen (paper) towel and squeeze any excess oil out, they should be almost dry when done
Do not wring them, it breaks down the foam
I stuff a couple of paper towels inside before wrapping, it's quite surprising how much oil comes out

Hmmmmmm, that is interesting! I very lightly (spray) oiled the filters when I received them with the UNI oil. I'll try running the bike with no filters to see if that helps fire up the left cylinder.

I find the foam filter oil too sticky on small filters, you need a huge filter for it to work right, probably 6"~7" dia 4"~5" long with filter material on the 'back' (like a popcorn bucket only all foam) Even MX bikes with large filters can suffer over rich problems if filter has too much oil.
Using paper towels to remove most of the oil has made some 'good running' bikes 'unridable' when the owner didn't realise just how much they were loosing by doing servicing wrong ;D
Try ordinary engine oil (30wt, lawnmower stuff)

crazypj said:
I find the foam filter oil too sticky on small filters, you need a huge filter for it to work right, probably 6"~7" dia 4"~5" long with filter material on the 'back' (like a popcorn bucket only all foam) Even MX bikes with large filters can suffer over rich problems if filter has too much oil.
Using paper towels to remove most of the oil has made some 'good running' bikes 'unridable' when the owner didn't realise just how much they were loosing by doing servicing wrong ;D
Try ordinary engine oil (30wt, lawnmower stuff)

I'll just put some chicken wire over the carbs - it should keep small animals out of there ;D Cucamonga rebore here I come!

(Somewhat)seriously, I haven't been spending much time in the garage this week, so I have several things to check and test now. I should be able to "fake" intake restriction with the choke. I might just take the UNIs inside and wash them out in the sink. I think running them dry would also be a good test, what do you think PJ?

Yea, I wouldn't run them dry for anything more than a test. Though I gotta say, these

http://www.z1parts.net/product/carb-velocity-stack-42mm-44mm-50mm-52mm-54mm

look mighty tempting ;D

They are worthless, I have a pair here Brendon took off his bike.
They don't even look so good when the fine mesh falls out (it's really restrictive)

crazypj said:
They are worthless, I have a pair here Brendon took off his bike.
They don't even look so good when the fine mesh falls out (it's really restrictive)

Ah well, guess not then. I'm out sick today, so hopefully I'll recover soon and can get back to work on the bike.

crazypj said:

Sadly, really sick. Some sort of cough and chills/fever thing, which I don't think would mix well with the rain and 44F temperatures outside today. We'll see how this weekend goes.

Sounds like the crap I have been dealing with, keep the fluids in you and keep after the fever reducers, it goes away after few days. :( Well the worst of it does.

frogman said:
Sounds like the crap I have been dealing with, keep the fluids in you and keep after the fever reducers, it goes away after few days. :( Well the worst of it does.

Thanks, I've been keeping hydrated and just took some more Advil after the chills came back. Pleh. :p

Back
Top Bottom