KZ650 CSR

tmtrebor

Starting a new build on a KZ650CSR (pretty sure, it has the igniter and it's the only one I can find with it). Just a warning, so far I have done nothing but look at the wiring, including opening the engine, so if these questions sound dumb I'm sorry.

Anyway, looking to simplify this up as I did with my honda, but having a hard time here... Looks like the harness has been played with, as it doesn't really match the 650HSCR diagrams I've found online.

Does anyone have a good, simplified diagram I can use? Any links on how to remove/replace/build a new igniter? Also, it looks like this is connected down where the points normally are, but it says "pickup coils" on the diagram. Is that just another word for points?

If my memory is correct, the '81 CSR is the KZ650-F2. Diagram attached.

Because this model uses an electronic ignition (aka ignitor aka CDI), there will be no points. The pickup is a piece of electronics that detects the rotation of the engine and sends a signal to the ignitor so that it knows when to trigger the spark. Pickup units and ignitors are almost always matched to one another, so you need to make sure you're using the same type. There are probably some aftermarket kits available, but if you go with the stock ignitor, you need the stock pickup. If you go with an aftermarket ignitor, you'll need the pickup that comes with that unit.

Attachments

• kz650-f2-in-z650-wiring-diagram-all.jpg
    kz650-f2-in-z650-wiring-diagram-all.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 260
Back
Top Bottom