3RM: Rust Revival / Retro Moto Collaboration Build

I suppose I should let ya guys know whats going on! It has been one busy ass summer for one thing. I've taken on way more than I should have from bike building to home remodeling and I've loved every minute of it! The progress hasn't slacked, just the posting on line.

The frame is back home from powder coat and it looks good enough to eat. The color I went with was "Chocolate Copper" and it laid down beautifully. My wiring harness should be here from Matt any day now. I'll knock out a wiring tray and start adding some bits to the frame. The top end should be back in my hands soon and I can finally put the motor back together for a test and then send the covers down to Kiley to begin work on the oil fix. Junior has almost wrapped up the seat/tank/oil pump mount/exhaust and David/Doug will soon be lacing up the wheels.

Unfortunately we had a pretty big design change with the exhaust. I'll start by saying that Junior and I had a good conversation about form and function. We both agree that if a bike looks good but rides and functions poorly then the whole project was a waste. The exhaust was already tight for the space it was going through trying to reach up under and out the hump. That along with the suspension that David is setting up does not allow for enough room to channel the pipes through. Sure, we could make some sacrifices and force it but again, none of us want to be involved in making a rolling piece of "art" that sucks to ride. PERIOD. Here are some photos of the progress. I am loving the tray for the oil pump!

Attachments

• image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 291
  • image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 276
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 279
  • image_3.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 295
Here are a couple more of the frame color. I really dig how it is almost black from a distance.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_1.jpg
    imagejpeg_1.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 282
  • imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 315
Nice, that's one of those colours that will sneak up on you. Black until you get close or the sun hits just right then holy crap that's nice.

Are we going to be assembling this thing in Alabama?

By "we" I mean me supervising while I drink beer.

Flugtechnik said:
Are we going to be assembling this thing in Alabama?

By "we" I mean me supervising while I drink beer.

Yeah...you need to enjoy Barber this year..no work for you!

The work is part of the enjoyment. I would love to turn a wrench on this bike. It just looks like they have their shit together and will be showing up with things in a much better state than the pile of parts I showed up with.

Flugtechnik said:
The work is part of the enjoyment. I would love to turn a wrench on this bike. It just looks like they have their shit together and will be showing up with things in a much better state than the pile of parts I showed up with.
Its all an illusion!!

Outstanding work gentlemen. Wish I could actually make a barbers to see this one come together. Work is not cooperating. Hopefully someone will make sure it is all well detailed. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Gary

Junior Burrell said:
Its all an illusion!!

Pfffft. You guys obviously won't be painting the frame at 5 in the morning, 6 hours before assembling the bike.

Ha. Yes, that's probably true. Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure you guys don't have your shit together.

No way I'd be painting at 5am. See, we gotta make sure we have enough time to put the bike together AND drink ourselves stupid. The last time at 5am, Keith (TiFun) and I were stumbling around the yard with a tripod trying to take pictures of the night using a cardboard filter cut out of a beer box.

Trust me Mike, the last thing I have is "my shit together." Come to think of it, I never plan to have my shit together. Some of my best work comes from having no plans at all.

You haven't been updating the blog site so I had to come find the build thread. Can't wait to see it at Barber!

That's the trouble with having a blog as well as several websites and forums... you spend more time telling people about your build than actually building. :p

Wiring up the bike over the last couple days, I'm drinking more coffee than actually wiring it seems. I picked up the coils to bolt them onto the frame and what do ya know, the damned things are completely dry rotted. The spark plug wire actually fell out of the left coil all together leaving me with a sad little copper stub. I've ordered up some Mike's XS650 coils and now everything is new under the hood. I guess it's better for that to ferk up now than later? Glass half full? I dunno....More coffee...

9 days to go and the candles afire at both ends, possibly the middle as well. I fabbed up some brackets for the new Mikes XS coils last nigh as well as finished painting the motor and getting the electrical tray ready. Gonna cure that tonight with the heat panels and hopefully get some wiring done. David Kiggins finished up some wheel lacing/truing and now I have no excuse for why I can't ride in a straight line. The pump and covers are on the way to Kiley's where he will have he new oil set up ready to go once we arrive.

Attachments

• 1234225_461034817337524_1320115524_n.jpg
    1234225_461034817337524_1320115524_n.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 901
  • 1385840_464913560282983_1314133918_n.jpg
    1385840_464913560282983_1314133918_n.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 922
  • 1377231_464895763618096_920735956_n.jpg
    1377231_464895763618096_920735956_n.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 955
  • Resampled_2013-09-30_18-45-01_437.jpg
    Resampled_2013-09-30_18-45-01_437.jpg