72 Honda CB450 "lucky 13"

"Real quick - did you see the tip in the $50 mod thread about wrapping the frame with pipe insulation before putting the motor in?" Oops I just missed that one and really could have used it. We taped up the frame with painters tape but still scratched a spot. I will have touch up paint soon so I'm going to have to fix that. Big R this is the second time you've been too late lol.....that's ok Ill just have to check the thread next time before I do any more work.

Brad D was nice enough to stop by and watch while I put the engine in all by myself....j/k he helped and We also adjusted the valves so the top end is good to go.

Big step - Engine in :)

Almost ready to turn the key and start..........well.......not quite yet :-\

Yeah, I thought for sure you would read it since I posted it right after you. Oops! At least you learned something.

+1 to DCM! Match made in Honda heaven!

dakine_surf said:
This right here is just plain sexyness! :eek:

ya know what? I'm big enough to admit I was wrong. When I saw that motor being painted two different blacks I thought "Ok. Not what I'd do, looks a but busy, but he's done a good job".

Well, now that I've seen it in the frame, I've changed my mind. You haven't done a good job at all. You done a fantastic job ;D I'm really impressed with the way the gloss black on the motor picks up the frame finish. It looks incredible. I'm not one to mix my finishes like that, but seeing it as a package, I completely understand why you've done that.

Kudos to you my friend, and I can't wait to see it all together.

well done. one of the nicest motor treatments here.

ian

Thanks man, I really appreciate the honesty!! I must admit it was a little of a gamble with those color choices but I'm confident now that everything will work out nicely.

Not much to report today as I was a little busy. I did get to throw the seat on for more inspiration but it was never bolted down. I put some 10W40 in the motor and cranked her over with the kick start. I also put a tiny bit on the pistons through the spark plug openings. Here's a question? Can any one suggest how to get the oil pumping up into the head because when I crank it by the kick start I don't think the pump spins fast enough to give the oomph it needs to carry it up?

i say kick it over a bunch of times. if you used assembly lube in the top, i wouldnt worry too much about having a "dry" start.

only other thing i could think of is taking the top cap off and dropping some oil in, or if it doesnt come all the way off, just squirt some in from the side.

Jesus christ this is epic.

Any tips on how to disassemble the rear shocks? Mine need a make-over BAD

I just pushed down real hard on the spring and had someone pull the top pieces that look like semi circles off from the sides (there is a ring under those too). That should allow you to pull the spring off and then reverse the process when you put it back together.

Today me and the girlfriend went up to Kittery Maine to go shopping and I found a sweet shirt that goes real well with this build. Also Maegan (girlfriend) was nice enough to buy me a present because I am the greatest guy in the world!!!! :-\ j/k, but she did get me a cool leather jacket that I can use on those cold nights now! Also got some stuff in the mail today from Dime City. Now I can finish up the front end.

Is this starting to turn into a fashion show?

Back to the bike parts

I wont be working on the bike much this weekend. I am still waiting for the rear hub. I asked the guys at the machine shop to take a little off the inside of the hub because I was having an issue putting the painted spokes into the holes. until Monday there's not much I can do with the wheels :-\. I still have to put the rear together and then have both the front and rears trued by a local motorcycle shop.

Question? Since the rims are painted too, is there a safe way of putting the tires on the rims with out scratching the paint? I saw a video on Youtube of a guy who puts black trash bags over a rim and then forces the tire over the bags to prevent the paint from getting damaged. Then he pulls the bag out from in between the two. I just looked and couldn't find the video, maybe I even saw it here on DTT.

Anyway here's some before and after.

If it's in the way.....destroy it.....instead of properly pulling the tire off, lol.

I love getting rid of old nasty stuff

The only thing worth saving.

Started to lace the spokes. Maegan is very understanding when I work in the living room........You can't hear the yelling in photos, :p lol.

I still have to finish the rear wheel!

Front is ready to be trued.

About painting the wheels before / after and getting tires mounted, Hoosier Daddy started a thread with the same question. If you do a search for it, should be able to find it.

And have you thought about truing the wheels yourself? They just have to be within a 1/16" or so, once the tires are mounted they will balance them anyway.

Everything's lookin good BTW!

Wow i dont think ive ever seen a tire go on that easily! Its def worth a shot! I always struggle with tire irons...i wish i saw this vid before yesterday!!! I just mounted a set of tires on a friends bike :(

Okay, I got the rear hub back last night and I laced the wheel so now the rear is done. After doing some reading I am going to let someone else true the wheels. I'm just a little nervous about that process so I guess call me a chicken ;).

Awwhhh man those wheels look awesome! That's kinda what I would like to do eventually with my wheels. But amazing work man. I am soo honoured to be a part of a forum with such a huge knowledge and experience base. Def keeps me motivated and workin.

man those wheels are just awesome! nice work! hell i can true wheels and i still pay someone to do it cause i FN hate it!!!
man is till love that seat man... love it!

Back
Top Bottom