72 Suzuki GT380

Just a small update. I bought some quality fuel line, fuel filters and spark plugs on Friday. Tomorrow I'll install all this and add fuel to the recently cleaned fuel tank. (To watch for fuel leaks during the day.) I also installed the new parts for the fuelcock and installed that to the tank. So I really have 3 fuel filters on this thing: 1 on the end of the pickup line, one at the fuel bowl and then an inline filter. If there is anything left in that tank, it's going to get caught. Today I'm going to buy a battery tender and install that, too. I'm thinking I'll tidy up all the loose ends and really shoot for Tuesday to try and start this thing up. Don't really want to lube the chain yet because I need a new rear tire tube. Once that is done, I'll lube the chain and take it for a ride :) So close, soooo close.

ADC, I asked a question earlier about how the fuel pump gets it's vacuum. You said one of the carbs has a port you plug into. I found that. But I think I remember the other carbs have some other little ports to plug into. Not quite sure what they are for. Do I tie the 2 other carbs together with a small tube?

And there are 6 (I think) wires that come out of the key switch. 4 of them are grouped together in a plug and then there are 2 others. I can't figure out what the other 2 do. I do have a good wiring diagram, but I don't see them. (Being color blinid doesn't help :eek:)

interceptor said:
ADC, I asked a question earlier about how the fuel pump gets it's vacuum. You said one of the carbs has a port you plug into. I found that. But I think I remember the other carbs have some other little ports to plug into. Not quite sure what they are for. Do I tie the 2 other carbs together with a small tube?

To clarify, it's not a fuel pump. It is a vacuum operated shut off. In the absence of vacuum, the flow of fuel is stopped. The "prime" position overrides the shut off so that the carbs will fill before you start cranking the engine.

I can't answer your question about the other ports on the carbs without pictures. They might be vents which should have a 6" or so length of tube, hanging down and open to atmosphere. The tube keeps water and dirt from entering the vent, and serves no other purpose.

interceptor said:
And there are 6 (I think) wires that come out of the key switch. 4 of them are grouped together in a plug and then there are 2 others. I can't figure out what the other 2 do. I do have a good wiring diagram, but I don't see them.

Those are quite likely for the "parking light" position on the switch. That makes your tail light come on, (and runs your battery down.) Better to not use it, IMO.

Here I was thinking it was a fuel pump all the time :eek: Thanks for the 411. Makes sense about the other carb ports. Good thing I bought extra fuel line.
I just put some tape on the male end of the extra wire coming from the key switch. Honestly, I don't know what purpose it serves because the parking lights come on right now when the key is in the parked position and they aren't hooked up right now.

Today was the day I thought I was going to get it to run.... and I did ;D. Runs on 2 cyl's, so I'm charging the battery right now. After lunch I'll see if it runs on all three. I got the wrong spark plugs, so I'll get those coming and put those in as well. I put the air filter back on as we discussed earlier. Very cool sounding, and is quieter than I thought it would be. I'll keep you posted.

Charging battery didn't do anything and I switched sparkplug with a good one and still produced same results. Hopefully the new points and condenser on order will be the answer.

;) You know I will. I found out a couple things. I am getting spark from that plug because I grabbed it and I got poked. So now I'm thinking it's fuel related. I don't know, I've got too much on my mind. Need to step back and take a breath for a few days.

Thanks ADC. True, true. I am going to install my points and see what that does. Also got the right spark plugs, too. I'm almost there ;)

I got up extra early this morning and spent some hrs. with the bike. Found out that my carb has a air leak. I spraked some starter spray on carb body and it came to life. So now I'm spending some time figuring out what to do. Should have it done by lunch time, hopefully ;)

I went through everything. Timing, points, coil, spark plug, carb.... everything. Then I stated that I sprayed some carb spray on the side of carb and it came to life. Well, it did because there was a small gap in the air cleaner boot, so it was letting the spray in. I buttoned everything up for the weekend and sat and thought about it, and in my head I figured out the problem. Sure enough this morning I came in early and checked it out and I was right, and what do you know, started it up and the pipe got hot. Hells ya. ;D Used a timing light for the timing and tomorrow I'll check to see if it is charging, and then get a good tube in the rear tire and see how it really does on the road. I still have no front brake so easy does it. Oh yeah, I think I have to install the other clutch I got. This one seems like it isn't disengaging all the way and when I pull the clutch lever in, it still wants to go forward some. I'll see if I can adjust clutch more, but I have it set perfect according to book (and from me doing it before on the Honda).

Clutch dragging is not a symptom that I would associate with needing a new clutch. Either adjustment is wrong, or the clutch just needs to be used and warm up a bit.

Thanks ADC. I'll try adjusting it a little more and using it ;)
Battery isn't getting charged. Reading 11.92V when bike is running :(

I'm def not the best, but if I take one thing at a time I can do it. I'll take whatever advice you care to give. ;)

I wrote a how-to article about it. The subject of the article is a Harley, but the procedure is still valid. The difference would be that most metric stators are 3-phase, and Harley stators are single phase. The Harley stator has two wires, and you measure the voltage they are putting out. 3-phase stators have three wires, and you should get about the same voltage from any pair combination of the 3 wires.

http://alphadogchoppers.com/wrenching/2005/chargingsystem/

First thing I did was check the stator. Took the cover off and saw just plain ugly. I took it out and inspected and it was bad. Luckily I had another one. Cleaned and installed it. Checked voltage at battery when started and was getting 14.5 or so :) It's pretty cool that you can adjust your regulator, too.

If you are using an AGM battery, set your voltage at 14.2 V. Any higher will cause an AGM battery to vent and will shorten its life through water loss.

Thanks ADC. I am not using a AGM battery, but good to know in the future. I am however charging a little high. If I crack the throttle it goes over 15V. So I'm looking to adjust the regulator in the near future ;).

Back
Top Bottom