Are we losing viewership at DTT?

snmavridis

Gettin my life together. One bolt. At a time.
When I first joined this forum, there was a new build EVERY day. Now it seems to be kinda slow. I understand that I got involved at the peak of the "cafe racer" fad, but man it really seems slower these days. I for one kinda like it. A lot less useless arguments and a lot more quality to the posters. Crazy how much a forum can change over 4 years.

Also, don't mind my low post count. Ive been a silent observer for a while. Can't post anything worth noting if you haven't made progress!

Sent from my XT1585 using DO THE TON mobile app

Ebb and flow. Happens on forums all the time. With summer coming it'll get even quieter here now.

I will agree with you that there has certainly been an uptick in the quality of builds here.

Now if we could knock off some of the BS and negativity that seems to keep popping up lately...

VonYinzer said:
Ebb and flow. Happens on forums all the time. With summer coming it'll get even quieter here now.

I will agree with you that there has certainly been an uptick in the quality of builds here.

Now if we could knock off some of the BS and negativity that seems to keep popping up lately...

Isn't that the goal of most forums? :)

I think a lot of people get really into this kind of thing when its trending, and everyone needs to have a badass, builtnotbought café racer.
And a lot of people spend tons of money only to realise they will never learn to weld, fabricate, tune engines or anything. They just end up with a shitty sub par build at best, at worst they kill or injure themselves trying to go past 90. Then wonder why the fuck they spent all that time and money in the first place and go do something useful with their lives like drugs, beard maintenance, making artesan axe handles or whatever suits them better.

4 years ago there were some active members here that made you not want to return here after your first post. Some of them have been dormant so the good advice shows through.

In 10 months we'll be 10 years old - I think we're doing just fine :)

datadavid said:
I think a lot of people get really into this kind of thing when its trending, and everyone needs to have a badass, builtnotbought café racer.
And a lot of people spend tons of money only to realise they will never learn to weld, fabricate, tune engines or anything. They just end up with a shitty sub par build at best, at worst they kill or injure themselves trying to go past 90. Then wonder why the fuck they spent all that time and money in the first place and go do something useful with their lives like drugs, beard maintenance, making artesan axe handles or whatever suits them better.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I admit I decided to build my own bike having been inspired by the trend of Brat Trackers and Café Racers a few years ago. My build is still work in progress, things such as house moves, job change etc. got in the way. I will finish my project though, having had so many car projects I never finished, I intend to see this through. Hoping not to spend too much cash along the way.

^^^ that's the same story with me. I like the ethos behind a cafe racer. Take something stock, improve it, add your flare. Then when I got to this forum I realized "holy cow, I didn't realize people have been doing this so wrong". I've been on and off with my bike due to moving, finances, et al. But I'm finally in a place where I can build an attractive functional motorcycle. I'm glad most of the people who bastardized these bikes are out of the way now. But it almost feels lonely here. That's where I'm at. Glad to be a part of this community, that's for sure.

In all honesty I'm glad we have people like tune, sonreir, and all you other old timers. You're always such a great help to us young folk trying to learn about this beautiful hobby. Cheers to you guys, the real MVPs!

I lurk a lot and seldom post. I think if Jenn finishes a bike and finally rides one on her own I might not ever come around again. So you know I'm here to stay for a while! ; )-

o1marc said:
4 years ago there were some active members here that made you not want to return here after your first post. Some of them have been dormant so the good advice shows through.

Happens quite a bit on a lot of forums - some guys think they are geniuses / their sh*t doesn't stink / whatever and go on a rampage for a while. They eventually get bored or banned and things go back to normal.

Ten years is a pretty good achievement for a site that is not a brand specific MC site.

o1marc said:

$100 says you mean BradJ lol

hillsy said:
Ten years is a pretty good achievement for a site that is not a brand specific MC site.

One of the things I like about this place is the lack of brand bashing. Anything goes...two wheels, three wheels, even some cars and trucks mixed in.

Forum for the ZG is constantly arguing with each other over stupid shit and bashing HD's.

B541Niner said:
One of the things I like about this place is the lack of brand bashing. Anything goes...two wheels, three wheels, even some cars and trucks mixed in.

Forum for the ZG is constantly arguing with each other over stupid shit and bashing HD's.

Exactly what drew me here... its an open book for motorcycle mechanics of all skill levels and a good place for lurkers to get some info. The occasional HD basher is just someong who never owned one or pisses his/her diaper when they blow a fuse haha :eek:

I'm pretty new to this forum, having decided to do a cafe build over the winter which is going well apart from me throwing out parts it turns out I need

Scanning through old threads for inspiration is great, although I have come across quite a few negative posts, I just skip that stuff.

Of course some people genuinely do "know better' but the point of the build for me is the experience of doing it myself and learning along the way. I also have a classic car that I've done a ton of work on, the enjoyment is the same.

So keep up the good work DTT !

o1marc said:
And the one's that aren't dormant just keep posting the same tired old pics of their "acquisitions", while never actually building anything.
Gotta watch out for those guys too ;)

Back
Top Bottom