Cleaning metal with acid

pterodactyl

Been Around the Block
Hey, what acid makes metal brittle?
I remember someone mentioned how a certain acid would make a chain brittle.
The reason I'm asking is because I like using Hydrogen Chloride to clean metal parts with it,
but no one else should because it could be dangerous.

Hydrogen can make steel brittle, not sure how really, but we always had to make sure to burn out all hydrogen from oilrig hulls before welding them. Otherwise liquid nitrogen can make steel shatter with ease!

I don't really know anything about this, but I found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement

Im just a stoopid welder but that there wiki page supports my experience. I guess metallurgical engineers have been doing their homework for a while.

If you want to clean metal without causing it to become brittle, my understanding is that a mixture of phosphoric acid is the way to go. It converts the iron oxide and leaves the metal intact.

Reading that article would lead me to believe that unless there is heat involved, it wouldn't embrittle the steel. Am I wrong?

Is it an o-ring chain? If so stick with good ole kerosene or one of the citrus cleaner. I'm scratching my head on what acid would bring to the table.

I'm cleaning a part with it. I'll post some pics later on to show how good it works.
I forgot to mention, I've never cleaned a chain with it and would just replace one after seeing what happens.
I've cleaned bolts with it but haven't used them yet. that's mainly what I'm concerned about

I can't think of any good reason to use chemicals to strip a bolt. If it is corrosion, a wire brush or wheel will remove it easy enough. If it is grease or paint, there are strippers for that.

here's some pics

Attachments

• DSC02460.JPG
    DSC02460.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 517
This stuff removes the galvanized coating too, so I usually rinse with water, dry and coat with something.

Back
Top Bottom