1975 cb750 I guess you classify this as a tracker ?!

RacingSmith

A little history on the bike and build

Our client came to use via an ad we use on Craigslist here in the SE. In the past his uncle used to ride him on it when he was a wee lad. Well his uncle served our nation in the First Air Calvary in, if I remember correctly the Korean war, with the Air Force. Presently his uncle has aged he is in a retirement home being cared for.

Phillip ( the nephew and now owner ) wanted the bike to be something special and honor his uncle. After all his uncle got him into riding. He [Phillip] was very passionate about the bike. Describing the sounds, smells and speed that he remembered as a kid. He wanted all that to come back to life! After a couple phone conversations he and I decided that we were the ones for the job !!

The bike came to us after not running for over 30yrs, and with a VERY tight budget!! There was tons of work to be done. It was the by far WORST bank of carbs Ive ever cleaned.

Phillip wanted a rugged look,mag wheels and a military inspired paint scheme. Also after some discussion, topping out the list was a dual set of headlights and digital speedo via trail techs vapor system. A pair carefully selected tubeless dual sport tires for heavier bikes like the KLR were utilized for safety and aesthetics.

The bike was a huge success,It ran absolutely beautifully after some tuning and handled like a dream believe it or not !!! We were also garnered quite a bit of attention on Instagram which has helped us as a small new shop big time.

To accomplish all this I used my personal cb650 at the time to supply the comstar wheel swap, DCC for most all the parts, great friends and a few cold beers !!!

Attachments

• rs750rollingshot.jpg
    rs750rollingshot.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 312
  • rs750sideshot.jpg
    rs750sideshot.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 320
  • rs750front.jpg
    rs750front.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 320
I like it! Aside from the washboard seat, less than optimal rear tire clearance, and lack of fork brace ;)

How's the power delivery? Looks like a hoot

Thanks guys, the bike was a hoot!!! Loke i said the budget for the build was super tight, it was my first build so i did it for free basically. Its only used to scoot out to local bike nights and grab a bite to eat occasionally.

Normally I HATE these brat style choppers, but this one does have a nice look.
Probably a blast to use.

Don't use the "im not riding far" cop out.

Have you checked that at full stop the tire doesn't hit the frame?
Should install a fork brace, they are cheap.
Cant run well with those dumb pods. It just cant. You can get that "look" with other options and have it run correctly. Or just run the stock air box, most of it will be behind those side covers anyway.

Kept the rear peg brackets, but didn't put the rear pegs back on? How are you going to bring the girls home from the bar?
Isnt that the WHOLE point?....lol

Since you are running 77-78 F forks you can upgrade the calipers super easy using OEM parts.
I have a write up on how to do it. Just basic bolt on stuff and really improves the braking.

Surffly Thanks for the reply, It was a blast of a bike!!!

I was commissioned to build this bike 2 yrs ago ......

Did i check to see if the tire rubbed ? Oh shit i knew I forgot something !!!!!

No it didnt rub, see me riding it ? See where it sits ? we're good there!!

I EVEN went so far as to throw a 250lb man on it and when he came back said it was the funnest bike he had ridden in a long time! Hes a better rider than most anyone not some joe shmoe we raced together back in the day when he was thinner hahaha

How can you tell me a set of screw tops cant run well with pods/ unis ? The cb900c I built runs an air box for that purpose *(cv carbs) but you CAN accurately tune screw tops with pods..... or just slap a set of Murray's carbs on there and your good but I'm sure you don't wanna go that route huh ?
It just CAN run right....It did .....pulled like a raped ape.

Passenger pegs were off when we shot the bike, not when it was delivered because you GOTTA bring girls home while you been drinking on your motorcycle !! haha Thats why you hardly ever see me build a bike without a "washboard" [brat] seat.

Look closer those are the original '75 cb750 forks ....... I know how to do things with forks interchanging parts......between a good friend and fellow builder/mentor and I we have bikes with swapped Honda parts that have never been done before that we will unveil soon enough

and the "im not riding it far" comment ......Its not a cop out, the bike was built for next to nothing for a client whom has multiple bikes and wasn't ever going to ride it far, when you put up the cash ill build it how you want it..... this bike was featured by most every major bike page on Instagram and set the highest traffic on a few blogs for a feature as well as highest post likes on pages in the shortest time.
Lets not live in the past though. I was simply sharing a bike that I believe was as good looking bike and blast to ride!

Now, if you would like to log onto brat cafe on IG at the moment they just featured a bike I finished last winter today, by finding it on my IG acct sooooooooo while I truly appreciate your positive comment, your criticisms were a tad lame considering the validity. I like critique from people, I do. When its actually relevant and not just spouting off.

P.s Im not an ass. I dont intend to come off that way and have taken a hiatus from forums for years quietly building things because most people take things wrong and lash out from behind a key board. You can come to any show we attend and see the bikes. Then discuss them and point out all the flaws if ya wanna. Heck I may even let you ride them ( yes they ALL run and ride ) !!
See y'all at Barber in a few weeks ?

Nice!

And the bike other than the seat, I just... well no matter... the reply was worth a whole day of epic fail :eek:

Tune-a-fish
You saying you dont like the seat ?! haha to each his own !!

I hope I read it right and my last post made your day !! If that was the case glad I could help haha

If not ... well..... ill just go pour another beer and kick it, who cares !!

yeah there's nothing actually comfortable about them that's for sure !!!

I call em milkshake bikes... ride em to snag a milkshake and roll home with the tracker bars its not bad but clipons and YIKES !!

Though I have done 100+mi days on them two up with the missus in the twisties, you dont really notice in that situation cause your crawling all over the bike hanging off so your not really sitting

Like the video link below but solo ..... no fork brace obviously on that '79xs750 hahaha the chatter was stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x9llDehZHo

Well it's doing exactly what it is ment to.....get Instagram likes.....lol

Glad to see someone is still playing that game.
Is there a set number of shares that makes it so the bike is perfect in the eyes of all?

surffly said:
Well it's doing exactly what it is ment to.....get Instagram likes.....lol

Glad to see someone is still playing that game.
Is there a set number of shares that makes it so the bike is perfect in the eyes of all?

Looks to me this one has built a flat seat that goes! [VIDEO] didja watch it? Guys seem to be enjoying it to me ::)

Also it seems as tho there is a huge market for these (actually looked at his IG did you) It's not as hard as it seems surf fly, those of us who chose to chop cut weld our bikes are not all novice wrench wielding 20 year olds... some of us have a lot of seat time and know what we are looking for in both style and handling.

You lost this one bud... take yer ball and go home.

Actually no, sadly i havent developed a formula for your question.
I also built it for a customer not instagram. IG is mearly a vessel for my shop [this is my day job] so yeah i play "that game" called free advertisement and marketing cause im a complete schmuck
Also no matter what you think, the general public is not "stupid" they know what they like and are moved by and put up money to have said things. Same goes with music. We may not agree with a style trend or song but the mass population that does perpetuates the market.

Dont mind me though i dont build for the public, or you. I build what I like and have been lucky enough to catch the eye of the public.
I dont build a bike i dont wanna see or ride. Alas, the publics opinion will change one day soon and ill be left building bikes that I still love.
Luckily my taste change too. So ill either be left behind or stay on the forefront. Either way ill have cool bikes to ride.If im lucky ill garner your praise and my life will then be complete!!

Keep bringing your builds, lots of guys here will appreciate the style and look for tips to make the bikes they build work better.
Oole Surffly is a bit of a purist and just can't wrap his head around out of the box stuff.

ben dont waste your breath defending to nit pickers or "experts" or people that are stuck doing things one way only

scan it over in case there is a comment of merit or suggestion for safety and keep moving on

you have a great eye for what is appreciated in the current world when it comes to bikes

i for one am glad to have you around for "decorating hints"

and your bike all look really nice going down the road

so keep doing it

What is the actual issue here?

Didn't call anything junk or a hack.
Never said the "builder" was a newbie or a clown.
Some need to grow some thicker skin.

Asked legit questions about the bike and all I got was a pretentious "I know what I am doing"

Style is style, like you said zero point in debating it.
Bike does look like fun, and WAY more thought out then the average pipeburn stuff.

Is there really no room to talk about this or any bikes?
Was the post purely to just get oogled and an internet hand job?
Honestly don't see how you can think these questions are an attack.

Your right
Tone and intent can be lost through typing

You werent ever out of line, if not telling me how to build the bike and saying it cant run right. Those were mearly observations on your part. I apologize if i seemed malicious as i said not my intent. I can be a down right prick on a forum but if you knew me in real life, you would never ever expect that from me.
I appreciate your acknowledgements and i did jump your shit. Growing thicker skin is something we all could do. When you post public you have to expect it to come out but i also put my heart and soul into this, sacrafice family time and recreational activities in life to build bikes. So when i get a comment on such petty critiques i get frustrated. But hey no harm, no foul, your still cool with me.

RacingSmith said:
Your right
Tone and intent can be lost through typing

You werent ever out of line, if not telling me how to build the bike and saying it cant run right. Those were mearly observations on your part. I apologize if i seemed malicious as i said not my intent. I can be a down right prick on a forum but if you knew me in real life, you would never ever expect that from me.
I appreciate your acknowledgements and i did jump your shit. Growing thicker skin is something we all could do. When you post public you have to expect it to come out but i also put my heart and soul into this, sacrafice family time and recreational activities in life to build bikes. So when i get a comment on such petty critiques i get frustrated. But hey no harm, no foul, your still cool with me.

Meh, you should see other forums.....THIS is the nice place.....lol

Not saying that the look can not be had AND the bike be safe.
Just interested to hear how each person looks at issues and addresses them.

Back
Top Bottom