KZ440 LTD Build - Frame is now cut -

Re: KZ440 LTD Build

I know the KZ440/305/250s from '80-on were molded plastic with a metallic coating on the letters. Thought the '70s KZ400s were too. When were the aluminum ones available?

I've got a couple sets I'm watching on the ebays. Hopefully one pans out. I plan to be in the garage today working on dressing up the engine in lots of black and some minor polished goodies. Expect pics today as long as I don't lazy out of the plans and just lay around like a dirty hobo looking for free sad handies.

Tifun said:
I've got a couple sets I'm watching on the ebays. Hopefully one pans out. I plan to be in the garage today working on dressing up the engine in lots of black and some minor polished goodies. Expect pics today as long as I don't lazy out of the plans and just lay around like a dirty hobo looking for free sad handies.
I hear ya on the laying around like a hobo. There are days where working on the bike just doesn't sound fun.

Well. I didn't lay around like a sack of potatoes which means progress has been made. The engine is starting to look good. I need to repolish some parts again but it's really taking shape.

I think I'm going to shorten the tail and lower the front of the tank next to give it the appearance of rake without changing any suspension geometry. Hopefully the last few parts I need to make it mobile arrive tomorrow. I might actually get to ride this turd before it gets cold out.

-KO

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 422
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 382

zap2504 said:
I know the KZ440/305/250s from '80-on were molded plastic with a metallic coating on the letters. Thought the '70s KZ400s were too. When were the aluminum ones available?

I can about guarantee all KZs and early GPzs have stamped aluminum tank and side cover badges.

Attachments

• IMG_20140915_180149.jpg
    IMG_20140915_180149.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_20140915_180233.jpg
    IMG_20140915_180233.jpg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_20140915_180643.jpg
    IMG_20140915_180643.jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 403

Nebr_Rex said:
You might want to think again.
Those are stamped aluminum just like this one off a 440 and I know damn well
the KZ400s are also.
You piqued my interest so I took off my KZ440 LTD tank badge, then went to the basement to look at the KZ305 LTD badge I got from my neighbor and -- you are correct, they are stamped metal!

And sometimes I'm wrong.
Kawasaki was recently still using stamped badges
on there utv's. I've got some new old stock of those
acquired from the plant here in town.

I missed my chance to buy the badges on eBay. I should have checked back haha. My search continues...

Tank is wetsanded and I did a mild cut and buff. Looks pretty good. I also put some 13" shocks back on the rear to raise it up. It's still pretty ugly but it's getting there. Next is to clean the front end up, finish the back half, seat, carbs, rip around.... Hopefully in the order.

PICS!
DSC_8468 by K.Osborn, on Flickr

DSC_8469 by K.Osborn, on Flickr

DSC_8470 by K.Osborn, on Flickr

DSC_8471 by K.Osborn, on Flickr

DSC_8472 by K.Osborn, on Flickr

DSC_8473 by K.Osborn, on Flickr

Not bad for rattlecan.

-Keith

Tifun said:
Not bad for rattlecan.
VERY nice for rattle can! Dark colors are always harder to get right (shows shadow lines more than light colors). What did you use for a clear coat to protect the paint from gas spills?

I used spraymax glamour clear. The nozzle on the can laid it very smooth. It had very minimal peal and only required 2000/2500/3000 sanding prior to buff. Quality product for sure.

that tank looks fantastic! Did you have to use any filler anywhere? I was looking at the pics on the first page.

fury413rb said:
that tank looks fantastic! Did you have to use any filler anywhere? I was looking at the pics on the first page.

I didn't and regrettably I didn't notice 2 small dings until the paint was completed. I also talked with my buddy mothgils. Thinking of shortening the tail about 6" and putting a rounder hoop on it. Bike night is at my house this week so I'll use that opportunity to get some opinions.

I did do a little more work today. I pulled the gauges and did a quick mount of the single mini gauge. I've also decided to ditch the clubmans and get some crappy clipons. I also decided to modify the headlight mount. I think I'm going to lower it about 1-2". Thoughts about any of that crap???

Tifun said:
Thinking of shortening the tail about 6" and putting a rounder hoop on it. Bike night is at my house this week so I'll use that opportunity to get some opinions.

I did do a little more work today. I pulled the gauges and did a quick mount of the single mini gauge. I've also decided to ditch the clubmans and get some crappy clipons. I also decided to modify the headlight mount. I think I'm going to lower it about 1-2". Thoughts about any of that crap???
Shortening the hoop might look better - especially with a solo seat. But 6" may be too much.
lowering the headlight should also look better but it will require lowering whatever gauges you end up with or it/they will be sticking out like a sore thumb. Probably why the digital/low profile versions have become so popular. FWIW - I think tachometers are vastly over rated, both on cars (especially with automatic transmissions!) and cycles. I have always shifted by the sound of the engine.

The frames on these bike are insanely long. Even 6" shorter still puts the seat/hoop well behind the shock mount. My wife hopped on and it felt plenty comfortable. That's actually how I came up that measurement haha. It's was the shortest I could go and still allow us to sit comfortably on the bike. Here's a rough crappy pic just to show the location of the gauge. I do agree that it will need to be lower. With the clipons I will also be able to remove the bar brackets. Should be nice and clean when I finish up. Onviously the front is still in rough shape so please excuse the current condition. I have only just begun the front clean up :)

Keith

Attachments

• image.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 228

Lots of little details lately.

Started working on the suspension setup. Usd front and mono rear.
Swapping out the tank with a cb350 tank(something fell off the shelf and dented up my newly painted tank)
Cutting off the rear frame in preps for the new tail
My buddy has gone through my carbs. Cleaned, cleaned some more. Cleaned 2 more times. The soda blasted, bead, and vinger bath then powdered. He's still finishing them up. New hardware is in the mail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 393
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 376
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 411

Such a shame about your tank as it was looking so good. How hard was it to fit up the CB350 tank?
I'm always leery about painting carb bodies with the likelihood of gas spillage ruining it. Hopefully powder coating will be much more resistant.

Back
Top Bottom