82 virago 750 "desert rat"

purp95gt

How's it going everyone I recently picked up a 82 vx750 for cheap. I plan on doing a cafe build on somewhat of a budget. I'll be posting pictures of my project along the way.

I'm currently in the army but I was a ford certified master tech for 6 years prior. So I have the skills to do this but I am definitely looking for advice and help along the way.

So I picked up the bike already taken apart but with a good title and all the parts in boxes. Was sitting in the desert covered in dirt for what looks like the last 10 years. My first issue in have come across is the lack of new parts for rebuilding this engine. So far I have found 1 rusted cyl (already ordered used replacement jug and piston on eBay). I want to hone the cyls enough to take the glaze off and new rings on the pistons(given the cyls are within spec ). I can't find new rings anywhere. What do you guys do when you can't find new parts? I'm thinking run a ball hone through the cyls and clean up the rings and check the tolerances and just hope.
End goal.
9303fbd1f8f68cb613c5a5fd5b9a530a.jpg

Re: Xv750 build and advice

Sorry you are not getting any advice on your questions. Have you tried aftermarket piston companies, like Wiseco?

Well my cyl to piston clearance is on the high end. I ended up finding some nos Yamaha .050 pistons and rings. Just going to bore them out that way everything is fresh.

partsfish.com has them listed. What seems to be the problem you are having getting the parts?

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004223cf8700209bc78758a/crankshaft-piston

I ended up getting .050 over pistons and rings from parts pak . had really good price

I'm now on the lookout for a 2006-2011 gsxr front end.

I'll be taking the rest of the bike apart this weekend cleaning up and painting parts.

Got my new used case to swap all my parts into since mine has a broken ear inside someone tried Jb weld on.
a0353377556828fc35c6970300d0ae96.jpg

New front cyl came today as well. Now I'm just waiting on the .050 over pistons and rings.

Re: 82 virago 750 "desert rat"

I'm surprised to see no interest in this build. Guess I'll change the name to "cb750"

I feel like I'm in uncharted territory with this build. Everyone just cleans the carbs and modifying theses bikes for looks. I would actually like my bike to be reliable not just pretty.

It's not completely uncharted territory. There are a number of builds out there, but most of really nice ones seem to have been done by shops. Here is one that was a ground up cafe style rebuild. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45553.0

I guess it's just the mechanic in me but I can't call it good unless I know how the engine looks inside. Good thing I did. I have excessive piston to wall clearance and some pretty worn crank bearings.

Is the R6 shock intended to be connected directly? I think its used with linkage which scales the shocks effect.

doc_rot said:
Is the R6 shock intended to be connected directly? I think its used with linkage which scales the shocks effect.
Its definitely designed to be used with linkage. It doesn't seem any stiffer than stock. I'll admit I know very little about bike suspension so if anyone knows for sure this will not work well I'll have to redesign it.

Of all the bikes I've looked at using monoshock setups none of them retain the factory links. Guess I'll have to ride and see how it performs.
5089bce800ce29d159804e2823537bcc.jpg

I think the real advantage of linkage over direct mount is that the shock becomes exponential, so as you hit a hard bump the shock gets stiffer as it compresses so you don't bottom out, but mounting it directly makes it just a linear compression. I honestly don't know enough about suspension setup to give you any better advice. A shock is fairly easy to swap out later if need be, so i would keep on keepin on.

Yes....but the progressive linkage, also increases the wheel travel ratio. since the stock shock has about 2 times the travel as that shock, it will bottom out very quickly. Since there is no progressive linkage in that set up, you only have what ever travel the shock has, linearly. By the look of it, you may be lucky to have 3" of wheel travel....probably less.

Back
Top Bottom