Dollin' Up a '81 SR250 on a Peanuts Budget

deven07

I'm a amateur wrencher, just got a '81 Yamaha SR250 given to me. I wasn't sure what it was when I first got it, so I did some googling and ended up here! What inspiration! I decided that while I do not have the resources or skill to do a full on "build" yet, I could definitely take some cues from the major amount of coolness going on at Do The Ton and doll up my new project. Here's how she rolled off the truck minus the cobwebs and debris...the ratted out seat is around somewhere...

0512152305.jpg

No tank! I was having a really hard time finding an actual SR250 tank, so I ordered something that I hoped would be close...in the meantime, I'm going to mess with that big clunky seat. I cut off the tabs on the frame where the seat latch went as well as other unnecessary mount spots and fixtures, cut the seat plastic down , then played sculptor on the foam:

0515152325.jpg

Tank Came! Its too big. I had a idea it would be, it's off a '83 XV750 Midnight Special. Too wide for the frame, and about a 1/2" too long. I had to extend the posts where the tank tabs ride on with a cut down 5/8" lag bolt, some hex nuts and Gorilla tape. Remember, peanuts budget! :D I also have the back of the tank propped up with a block of 2x4. Seat needed to be shortened, $9 worth of Joanne Fabrics, some braided 20lb test line and BAM I got a mockup! I'm not thrilled about how the tank butts up to the seat, but it's gonna have to do until I come across a cooler one:

SR250.jpg

I have some straight bars coming, unfortunately not till after the holiday weekend. But she's looking cute for not much work or money! Tonight I'm going to work on getting everything secured and see about firing her up for the first time. Woohoo! Thanks for looking, have a great holiday weekend, and to all you Vets...thank you for your service!

Well, it's not much of a "build" but I'm quite thrilled with the transformation, however minimal! I'm having a blast and she runs and drives great, and I have like $140 into it. Perfect!

0528150941.jpg

0528150942.jpg

0528150942a.jpg

Awesome job on a "peanuts" budget! You got it up and running and thats the cool thing. I hate seeing these old bikes just sit around and go down hill. You can always make any changes you want as you get the budget to do so.

And you're right... I haven't been here long either but this is awesome site with some great inspiration.

DesmoBro said:
Nice SR! I love these old bikes
squizzymchaggis said:
Awesome job on a "peanuts" budget! You got it up and running and thats the cool thing. I hate seeing these old bikes just sit around and go down hill. You can always make any changes you want as you get the budget to do so.

And you're right... I haven't been here long either but this is awesome site with some great inspiration.

Yes it was nothing but a bunch of fun getting her going. Still a bit to do, have to work out some electric and add turn signals but she's shined up decent and definitely ride ready. Thanks for the encouragement!

cosworth said:
Tank choice makes or breaks these bikes. For $140 you're screaming.

Yes I'm not thrilled about the line from the bottom of the tank to the seat, but I do like how the oversized Virago tank muscles it up a bit. That strap over the seat is a just a old belt I stole from one of my sons 8) ...when I can come up with something that matches or two somethings that replace, I'm going to strap the battery instead of a box. I've got some small black bullet style turn signals ordered, but I'm not looking too forward to working those in! I'm electrically deficient, the harnass is pretty jacked and the interior of the handlebar switches are pretty corroded. I also have no brake light, it's just working as a running light atm. Here's where the work starts!

Tank fitment on that backbone (top tube) is a bit tough. It has a healthy arch. When I fitted my suzuki gt380 tank I had to peen the bottom of it and weld a bit of meat on there to clear. This had the added benefit of making the tank angle correct.

Fitting the Motolana sr400/sr500 seat proved far more challenging than the tank but by adding the riser at the rear of the tank, it made it all much easier.

cosworth said:
Tank fitment on that backbone (top tube) is a bit tough. It has a healthy arch. When I fitted my suzuki gt380 tank I had to peen the bottom of it and weld a bit of meat on there to clear. This had the added benefit of making the tank angle correct.

Fitting the Motolana sr400/sr500 seat proved far more challenging than the tank but by adding the riser at the rear of the tank, it made it all much easier.

This tank dropped WAY further down in the back than it is at the moment. I'm not telling you what I used to prop it up with, I'm embarrassed! Wokey...it's a piece of 2x4 bolted to the original tank mount hole and a random piece of scrap that had the pefect bend screwed to that. Someday that will change I promise!

VonYinzer said:
Need to invest in some new tires fella...

Yes. I haven't even researched tires at all, as these ones are in excellent poor barn find shape. What are guys running on the SR250 builds that I see in here?

Doesn't really matter what other folks are running. Just matters what fits correctly. What are the wheel sizes (you should be able to find the info stamped into the wheel near the valve stems)? Shinko makes several very nice and very affordable tires that would likely work once you know the correct sizes.

The sr250 came with a standard cruiser sized MS90. 130/90-16 fits with the swingarm. Looks great when it's cafe'd. Looks like a mini superbike with a fat rear tire.

I love it! Your fever is just beginning....... Keep the pics coming! I picked up an 81 SR250 a couple months ago and spent more on the bike than I should have, so I had to go the same budget route to begin with. My bike didnt have a functioning brake light either, so I used a spray paint cap, a $5 round marker light and an L bracket I had laying around. Worked like a charm until I could afford the one I wanted..... Now I'm on a first name basis with the folks at DCC... they are a great source for affordable upgrades and customer service is outstanding..

Attachments

• Brake4.jpg
    Brake4.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 246
Yes, I'm really quite obsessed! I'm having a blast. Working on electrical...I figured out why my brake light isn't working!

mice.jpg

cosworth said:
The sr250 came with a standard cruiser sized MS90. 130/90-16 fits with the swingarm. Looks great when it's cafe'd. Looks like a mini superbike with a fat rear tire.
Cosworth I'm going to order up some new rubber, a 130/90-16 for the back sounds cool...the front says it's a 3.00-19 stock, should I go bigger there also?

As Cosworth said, the bike originally came with 120/90-16 rear tires (max size 130/90-16); the front tires were 90/90-18 (100/90-18 max).

Thanks zap...I had a genius idea to look at the tires to see whats actually on there this am! 120/90-16 in rear 100/90-18 up front. I think I'll stick with the 100 up front and go up to the 130 in the back. Now all I need is the scratch!

The wiring is going pretty good, figured out the front brake light switch is my problem. Seems the brake/clutch levers must be aftermarket because there's no place to insert the switch, was just wound up and stuffed in the headlight housing. The turn signals system is still messed up, but I couldn't wait any longer so I scrounged a snowmobile trailer brake light (actually looks half way decent but definitely not permanent) and used the seat latch bracket I cut off the frame as the mounting bracket :) Who needs turn signals anyway?

Ran it official for the first time to the snowmobile/atv/motorcycle accessories shop I work at on the weekends...I got some LOOKS! Parked it right out front where the boss usually parks his bright orange gold wing. Great conversation starter! ; ;D

Deven,

How that new tire situation work out? I have been staring at my skinny tires for a while and it's driving me crazy.....

Hey,

Thought I would chime in about the stock tire fitting options. For my SR build I ended up going with Pirelli City Demons, I'm running 120/90 on 16" rear and a nice big 90/100 up front on the 18" front. You will need to adjust or change the front guard to fit. Another option if you are wanting more of an off-road scrambler setup would be a Bridgestone 120/90 TW40 rear and a Pirelli MT60 110/80 up front different brands but similar tread pattern.

The city demons handle pretty well, are cheap and look good!

Here's my bike for reference.

SkFwBAZ.jpg

BfBIi8V.jpg

2YTVrQw.jpg

Hope that helps!

BG - do you have a blog somewhere that lists your mods? I really like your front fender and headlight!

Back
Top Bottom