1977 CB750 for $700.00

Cale Young

Been Around the Block
Good morning all,
Just a few quick questions. I have a chance to purchase a 1977 CB750 for around $700.00. So far the bike runs, carbs need cleaned and spark plugs need tightened. The far right cylinder spark plug is either loose or needs to be re threaded. it seems to have pretty good compression except for the cylinder in question. the bike is pretty rough, been sitting outside for quite a while. the tank has a good dent but is not very rusty. Basically the bike needs gone through and repainted or replaced. The bike is as is in the pictures. The main question is, is this bike worth 700.00. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0859[1].JPG
    IMG_0859[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0857[1].JPG
    IMG_0857[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0860[2].JPG
    IMG_0860[2].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 213
Depends on where you are usually but under a buck a cc for a running CB750 is a good deal. Get that spark plug issue -- not sure why they would be loose unless stripped or not properly tightened, and that's gonna be easy to find out -- sorted and clean those carbs and it sounds like a runner. Give it a thorough once over and actually test the compression, check your points, new plugs, carb clean, timing, valve adjust, change oil and filer, check your air filter, chain, etc.

Sure, thing, you too man.

On a side note, you can likely sell off the rear box and luggage rack and maybe the fairing if you don't want em. Might get $100-$150 for the lot, bringing the price you pay down...

That's probably a reasonable price, but a couple of observations:

That rear box is mounted way too far back and will be detrimental to handling. If you plan on keeping it, plan on moving it forwards.

The mufflers are off. They styled to look like a CB77 or smaller twin mufflers and they look rough, so at some time you will need to budget for a replacement exhaust.

Loose plug is potentially a problem because the motor has to come out to get the head off to repair it - if that's necessary.

Obviously it will need all the usual clean up and service items and checkup. Tires will undoubtedly need to be replaced if the bike sat outside for a year or more.

Does it turn ouver easily? Does it seem to have compression on all 4? Does it have a title? The last one is singly the most important box to check.

teazer said:
Loose plug is potentially a problem because the motor has to come out to get the head off to repair it - if that's necessary.

That is true, forgot about that.

Exhaust for these is also pretty easy to find since they're common.

Title could be an issue but pretty easy to get around via the Vermont way -- about a $100.

thanks Teazer,
title is there it does kick over and seems to have compression. Did not know the engine had to come out for the head repair. that is good to know. the box and fairing are pretty rough and would come off. To get this back on the road it will need quite a bit of TLC. I'm going to ponder it over the evening and see how I feel about it on Sunday. Thanks for the information it is very helpful.

I'd get it. Fix a couple things, make it run and sell it for a grand but that's just me. :) my first bike ever was a Cb 650 for $500 w no issues back in '95. So a similar price for not a basket case in 2015 is fine.

young'n said:
thanks Teazer,
title is there it does kick over and seems to have compression. Did not know the engine had to come out for the head repair. that is good to know. the box and fairing are pretty rough and would come off. To get this back on the road it will need quite a bit of TLC. I'm going to ponder it over the evening and see how I feel about it on Sunday. Thanks for the information it is very helpful.

Just an FYI, using the kicker won't give you an accurate idea of compression (unless there's next to none) -- you've got to get a gauge. They're cheap ($30) at auto parts stores. If you've got a serious compression problem your bike will never run right, and there's one way to find out.

But at the same time -- don't think about this, do it. It's a steal, and having a title is a clincher. If it's on craigslist it'll be gone. And if the thing takes a shit you can part it out and make money. You cannot go wrong with this one.

Back
Top Bottom