WHY? Do guys build something that you really cant ride ???

Kamn said:
whoops.........i have a habit of just skimming through and selectively reading

Lets just all get a pint and enjoy the day
you got the 1st round? I will get the second!

wahvtec said:
If you come on her with a pretty fender rubber, or ground dragging cb I'm never going to reply "looks good" "keep at it" "you go girl"

I think you've all missed the most important post in this thread.

;D

datadavid said:
On a serious note, most chopper showbike cafe whatchacallit dont ride worth a damn, but its always been like that, not many out there who can improve on race proven tech really. Riding one is a calculated risk at best. I ride the worst, most unsafe junk considerable at times and it gives me greater joy than doing 300 on something perfect and essentially soulless. Although i like anime and i think of riding these things as riding some space age robot gunship. Only minus is they dont speak..

Take US to church David.

I love em all, rode many that were just junk, but none were ever "much" more fun than the other.

I will build as I please and take the good comments with the bad, i will dish out whats on my mind and damn sure will get it wrong from time to time, chopping up bikes is what made the sand cast so collectible... if they all were still in new condition the value would be lost... chop away at those rusted bolt buckets boys, you wont hear me squeal, but leave the in tact low mile barn dusty foreseeable to the restoration guys... eh.

None of you newbs should come here with a mouth expecting to get away with it... I didn't :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/motosecrets/videos/1571781133146285/

And you worry about how the bike is built... Like I said you need to know the limitations of the rider AND the bike. Ha!

We can build bike for any reason that takes our fancy. I build mine to ride, albeit not daily, so keep an eye on maintaining some degree of usability.

On the other end of the scale is a chap I know who runs a Kawasaki dealership. He built a brand new Z1 from brand new parts sourced from Kawasaki, even down to the indicator bulbs. It cost him an absolute fortune, but he won't even put oil in it because then it becomes "just another used bike". He was happy to keep it in his showroom and admire it, and in more recent years it's been in his living room at home. Huge effort expense for a bike he'll never even attempt to ride, and if that's what turns him on then I'm all for it. Blind conformity is something to be avoided.

My issue is not that people are building "art bikes", it is that they THINK they are building a real motorcycle.

90% of the "café racers" I see are just a new form of chopper.
That is fine. To each their own.

But I loose it when the café/chopper guy is waxing poetic about his pure handling machine.

Maybe this has been discussed, I haven't read through this whole thread, but are there any actual real numbers, first hand experiences or tests that back up the "firestone champion deluxe tires are the worst"? Im not asking for just another member saying that they are an outdated design, we've heard that plenty on here. Im just curious of first hand experience or numbers.

To be clear, Im in no way advocating or promoting them, but it just seems that there is always bad things said about them (I poke fun at them myself) but I wonder if its just a chain reaction of people repeating that they are bad vs. actual proven fact.

I guess im looking for fact vs. educated theory.

First the firestone tires are the wrong era for a "café racer".
The tires are meant for a 30s Harley.

Second (don't know if this has changed) but I do not think they are DOT legal

Cant think of anyone that has done a quantitative test of these tires.
Actually almost no one does anything like that for any street bike mods.

Had an XS650 chop w the Firestones. They were put on by the previous owner. I hated them. I understand that a chopper isn't a sportbike and they handle differently but there was a ln obvious lack of control and traction w the Firestones. Rode them on wet pavement once and it was squirrely for sure.

Now, that said... They arent so bad that you can't ride on them. They will however SEVERELY cut down on the bikes handling and stopping ability. On some 70 year old Harley? Sure... They're period correct. On a chopper? I guess I get wanting the look, but I'll never run them EVER. On anything else, they're clown shoes. A detriment to any planned performance upgrades.

surffly said:
My issue is not that people are building "art bikes", it is that they THINK they are building a real motorcycle.

Why have an issue at all? So long as they're diggin' it, it's cool in my book. I'd rather they built something that's barely usable than weren't into bikes at all.

And this being the Internet, most of us don't actually know too much about each other and it's in many people's nature to automatically assume the worst.

I figure a person should do whatever they want to do, just as long as they understand the consequences for doing so. If some guys wants to build a "café racer" with balloon tires and no clearance for the rear tire, I'll be sure to let him know what he's doing wrong. But if he doesn't want to hear it it just means a cheap bike on CL later on. No skin off my nose.

miffa said:
cant stand stock bikes ,take a R1 for example.... we call them clitoris bikes ....reason every cunts got one....

it should be made law that every bike over 1 yr old should be cut,chopped and changed in every possible way

can you ride em ,can only speak for the ones i build ,and the answer is if your brave enough you can
Question is are you brave enough to ride that R1 the way it was intened to be ridden?

surffly said:

90% of the "café racers" I see are just a new form of chopper.
That is fine. To each their own.

But I loose it when the café/chopper guy is waxing poetic about his pure handling machine.
Taking this build as an example of someone who thinks he's building a real motorcycle with what happens to be no clue at all about geometry, kinematics, weight distribution, mechanical design, welding and stress analysis

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68700.0

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom