AMF H-D SS250 + Honda FT500 + Honda CRM250AR....

Ian B.

Here are some shots of my other current project bike. I have always liked single thumpers - 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I had an original '76 AMF Harley-Davidson SST250 (air-cooled) which was a pretty crappy blke overall (poor quality parts / poor reliability etc.) and decided to make the bike I wanted when I was 18, but which wasn't available - a liquid-cooled 250cc AMF H-D SST250.

AMF H-D bailed on the 2 strokes in the late '70s without further development so I am making a 1 of none H-D SST 250 LC from a '76 SS250 (fenders / frame / tank / seat / instruments / lights etc), Honda FT500 (forks / swingarm / steering head / disk brakes) and '96 Honda CRM250AR (ignition / engine / cooling system / harness etc). Here are some pics below. That way the thing will handle and stop correctly, with (hopefully) 2 x the HP on tap. CRM250AR has a 6-speed and powervalve.

The purists won't like it, but I don't really care. I am certainly interested in seeing other road-going single projects.

More to follow.

Ian B.

P.S. Don't lament the demise of the CRM250AR - it is in worse condition than it looks having stood outside since 2001.

this is an awesome sounding project! im constantly toying with the idea of a 2 stroke brat build.

i didnt even know that harley has a 2 stroke. so thanks for the lesson

cant wait to see more!

Thanks very much. Just have to keep the momentum going now w/ work etc. I have another original bike on full restore - a '78. Pretty bikes, but with a very limited following now.

Make an interesting alternative.

Ian B.

Wow- I can't wait to see this done- I didn't know about the 2-smoke H-D either- I am going to look this up now! Okay- looked it up- an Aremachi (sp)- that is how I knew the name LOL

It sure takes a lot longer than planned to get things done when you want to just move ahead :mad:.....anyway....

Spent more time measuring the AMF-HD frame against the CRM frame and components. I have to work out how to get the CRM engine monitoring system working with the AMF-HD airbox, as the CRM airbox is way too big.

I pulled all the electrics out and sorted out the main loom (I plan to do a straight swap of the CRM loom to ensure all the sensors / solenoids are powered. I did manage to get bad welds redone and gussets welded in for better rigidity, with patterns taken from the later Cagiva SST frame. I am going to have the welds smoothed and redone to be sure there are no bad welds.

Next, the engine / cooling system will be removed and matched up to the frame.

The best part today was when I removed the airbox to check the condition of the carb intake......

More later.

Ian B. :)

Out of curiosity - since you're cutting everything up anyway, why not build around the frame that already fits the motor?

Rich Ard said:
Out of curiosity - since you're cutting everything up anyway, why not build around the frame that already fits the motor?

Hi,

You raise a good point about the CRM frame. I thought about it, but really wanted the AMF-HD frame (road-bike) and AMF registration. If I used the CRM, I would have be registering a Honda. Also the AMF seat / tank / panels etc. can't be made to fit the CRM dirtbike frame without looking kind of ....well....lame. I always preferred the original styling of the AMF-HD 2-strokes, despite the hideously crappy quality. The running gear for the original bikes (brakes / forks etc.) was from a 175 (!) so for a 250 it was right on the limit, which is why beefier FT500 gear was selected.

The final bike is intended to be the 250LC road bike I wanted at 18 back in 1980, but didn't exist (hence a nod to FT500 running gear as it fits period). The main intent is an engine swap. To complete the "factory" look I also plan to have the engine casings machined with the "AMF Harley-Davidson" logo. Much more effort, but just seems to meet the final brief this way :).

Ian B.

Back
Top Bottom