CB350 - Project One (Complete...)

SeaBee

This is my first bike and first build. I bought this guy about 2 months ago like this...

StartingPoint.jpg

The original build of the bike didn't really get me, but the engine had been handled, rebuilt, and honed by Mike Wells here in Lexington at Mike Wells Racing and it had a clean title. So for $500 it was an easy buy.

Originally I was inspired by Woody's CB350 build, but then like a lot of people "Loudbike" sucked me in. So I wanted to go for a tight cafe, race, functional build...if that makes any sense.

I couldn't wait more than a week to break the bike apart. After tearing it down, the frame was sectioned and welded behind the rear shock mounts. The bike originally came with the early CB350 forks with external springs. I like the style, but they didn't fit the build I wanted and I couldn't change out the springs. So I found a set of '74 CB 360 forks and trees so I could lower the forks through the trees. Then ordered a set of springs from RaceTech along with new seals and dust caps.

I had to get rid of the 70's style tank and go for a late 60's CL tank. The Texas style paint won't stay, but somehow it has grown on me a little... After a few hours of sanding and scrubbing it came together like this.

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

I also added clip ons to get rid of the drag bars. Pulled the headlight in towards the forks. And ground the bulbs off the end of the clutch and brake lever.

Re: CB350 - Name TBD

I like it a lot so far. If you keep everything that clean for the entire build, you'll have a heck of a bike.

Found a set of 68 or 69 CL350 pipes on the bay for dirt cheap. These things were nasty when they arrived. Covered in rust and a rotted muffler. Sectioned the muffler from the upper pipe. A little CLR soaking and sanding and they cleaned up a little.

So here's the final mock up, obviously without the seat. Let me know what you think! Open to some outside opinions before I decide on paint.

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

You're making progress in the right direction I think. I like the style you are going for. Are you going to just run open pipes?

That bike is looking Gorgeous. I actually really like that color scheme on that bike. The over all design of the bike and the color scheme Feels very European to me reminds me of Le Mans racing for some reason but now that you mention it. It does resemble the texas flag lol. Either way Love the bike

Kanticoy said:
I like it a lot so far. If you keep everything that clean for the entire build, you'll have a heck of a bike.

Thanks! Clean and simple is exactly what I'd like to stick with.

jk333 said:
You're making progress in the right direction I think. I like the style you are going for. Are you going to just run open pipes?

I really like the look of the pipes the way they are now. BUT, I do not want the sound and loss of power from the open pipes. I was thinking about baffles, but then read I'd only get a loss of db's of 2-4. So I'm stuck right now and not sure what to do. Ideas??

whataulooknat said:
That bike is looking Gorgeous. I actually really like that color scheme on that bike. The over all design of the bike and the color scheme Feels very European to me reminds me of Le Mans racing for some reason but now that you mention it. It does resemble the texas flag lol. Either way Love the bike

Thanks! I've been thinking of sticking with the color scheme. Think I'll have to draw it up to see what it looks like first, but I've been considering going dark blue with the frame, polishing here and there, then a red tank with the ducati style stripes down the center of the tank in either white or cream. Not 100% on that one yet tho!

Looks great.

You could have a 2-1 collector made for the pipes and run a single muffler. With the right can, you ll get the proper backpressure, and sound deadening.

Would there be anyway to fab up a baffle thats long enough to quiet the exhaust and give the proper back pressure? I don't have to have the bike be silent, just as long as its not obnoxious... I'm really liking the looks of the exhaust the way it is now and if I go with mufflers, looks wise I might have to change the whole exhaust setup to make it look right.

Hey man, bike is looking great. I run straight pipes with baffles that i made myself. Made them from a pretty awesome thread on here. It helps to do it yourself to judge how quiet/back pressure you're looking for. Mine are no louder than the muffler now. Check my build or the $50 mod thread in 1800cafehelp. Heres the link to the baffle thread. Scroll down and see different versions. I love them and haven't had any issues.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11248.0

Just so no one thinks this is one of those topics that starts but dies, I wanted to post a few pics of what I've been up to. Sorry for delays, but other things have a habit of keeping me out of the garage!
IMG_2779.jpg

Ripped the bike back apart to start polishing
DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0436.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

Nothing huge, but polishing takes forever! Paint scheme is finalized. Rims should be going in for powdercoat in the next few weeks. Hopefully things start coming together soon!

Re: CB350 - Project One

Seat Fab.

DSC_1023.jpg

DSC_1037.jpg

DSC_1035.jpg

DSC_1041.jpg

DSC_1043.jpg

DSC_1044.jpg

Tank and seat are out to paint. Things are starting to come together!

But the closer I get to assembly, the more little things start adding up... Cables, Wiring, Controls, Battery, Upgraded charging system, Small parts to polish, etc.

Dude, I know. Polishing is such a pain in the ass! I sit down and watch tv and sand away for hours. Getting a part a day done. I'm thinking of doing vht clear coat over the polished to maintain it. Any thoughts?

I've heard good and bad things about clear coat over polished aluminum. Some people say it makes the polish last forever, others that it steals the 'luster' away from the metal.

I've seen pics of both. Clear powder over polished aluminum looks effing amazing if done by the right person and if you have the extra cash. Clear coat sometimes has a tendency to look like aluminum paint if done wrong.

Up to you I guess. I know the luster will diminish over time, but I'm going to leave mine raw and keep my fingers crossed that it won't be too bad to touch up down the road!

Yeah I just ordered a powder coat gun so I'll do the powder clear. What were you using for in between the rear hub grooves? I started off with a dremel and dreading hand sanding everything.

The grooves look better than the pics show. I went back and hand sanded all the parts 200 grit through 1500 then polished again. I didn't get the result I was looking for at first so I went back to square one.

I used the buffing wheel to get into the grooves. You can also use the dremel buffing wheel to get into tight areas.

Yeah I've been working on this shit for 2 days now. Still looks like hell. Can't seem to get into the corners very well. Got to be an easier way.

Quote: "This is my first bike and first build."

You have obviously built something before this 350, bike or otherwise. Looks great, I'm watching.

Back
Top Bottom