MB's CB750 custom seat pan, battery tray and rear hoop, etc.

Dude, looks great! but, ya know you took the long way around to do the hoop end of the pan.. Removed too much material, shoulda, coulda, had on seem where you have 2. But still, looks fine. Just double the work.

*shrugs* If I wanted to spend the time figuring out precisely, then yes, but this is going to be covered by the seat material, and I spent less time putting that together than being "careful" with it.

If it was something visible, I would take the time.

I've finally got everything finished!

more_mikes_bike_04.jpg

That's the underside of the frame and the bottom of the battery tray. I anted to figure out a good way to secure the battery tray while still making it fairly accessible.

Looking at the frame for a while, I figured that I could use the stock threaded inserts on the frame to hold two brackets that would be welded on to the tray, something like this:

more_mikes_bike_05.jpg

So, from the top side, I centerpunched a point through the threaded insert, drilled the hold through the bottom of the frame brace, and then ran a tap through:

more_mikes_bike_07.jpg

Testing with some threaded rod showed it fit perfectly:
more_mikes_bike_06.jpg

A close-up of the tray, bracket and thread:
more_mikes_bike_08.jpg

I found a hex head bolt that was of the appropriate length, even though I was looking for stainless:
more_mikes_boke_15.jpg

more_mikes_boke_16.jpg

I drilled (intentionally oversized) holes in the bracket:
more_mikes_boke_17.jpg

Marked off the excess from the bracket:
more_mikes_boke_18.jpg

Trimmed the brackets down:
more_mikes_boke_19.jpg

Then welded them onto the tray:
more_mikes_boke_20.jpg

Next up comes the seat pan!

I had to trim down some excess bits to even up the rear o the pan:
more_mikes_boke_11.jpg

Then I looked at the whole underside of the pan and the frame, trying to think of the easiest way to mount the pan to the bike while still keeping it very easily accessible.
more_mikes_bike_09.jpg

Then, it struck me! Why not just use that nice elliptical-ish area of the frame bracing to drop a stud from the seat pan through a plate to hold the seat in place? That would work nicely since the seat is held in place longitudinally by the bracing and all it needs is to keep it from popping off the frame.

Cue the "stud:"
more_mikes_boke_10.jpg

The plate made from leftover stainless:
more_mikes_boke_12.jpg

Installed:
more_mikes_boke_13.jpg

Closeup of the components:
more_mikes_boke_14.jpg

I wasted some time making a spacer to fit over the stud to keep the seat pan from pulling too much, but found it to be completely uncesseary and . . . well, I welded the stud in the wrong spot to use that (there are pics of the endeavor as well as some tricks for safely drilling small pieces) and the seat pan is really heavy enough to not get pulled much at all by a wing nut, so I just left that out.

Final profile view:

more_mikes_boke_25.jpg

Mike should be by hopefully tomorrow to pick up the bike. I can't wait to see what he has in store for it! I'm looking forward to seeing how the seat looks when it is covered.

holy hell! looking forward to picking this up this week. guess I better finally get into the engine it's all apart at least....

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the bike. It's been my honor to work on it! Now it is your turn. =)

Mike started a business. His build is the last thing he can get to right now. I'd like to see the rest, too. =)

Hey folks: 15 hour days don't eave much time for the build but making (slow) progress. Will let you know how I'm doing when I have some of the more exciting stuff done. Engine reassembly has begun

Mike should have everything back now (I forgot to send his tank back when the frame was delivered).

I am very much looking forward to seeing what Mike does with the rest of the bike. =)

Back
Top Bottom