1977 GL1000 Double Deuce Hell Ride

Yeah. Keeping the pump has more to do with how this tank fits in the frame than whether or not gravity will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The outlet of the stock tank is a good bit lower than the inlet of the carbs. I suppose the pump is sort of "lifting station". I can tell you that if you don't shut the petcock off sometimes fill a left cylinder with fuel.

if you have the tank high enough i think eliminating the pump is a good thing less to go wrong,after all the cx500 uses same carbs with gravity feed no ?

I'm going to take a swing at restoring these wheels instead of buying new stuff. There's a lot of conversation on here about rust removers. I always promote phosphoric acid. It doesn't eat the metal and it converts the rust to iron phosphate. I took a wheel apart that has a very clean rim, but the spokes are super rusty. I threw half of the nipples into the acid overnight with excellent results. The first pic shows the difference between treated and untreated nipples. The spokes are pretty fucked, so we will see if it works on them. I threw the spokes into a drywall mud trough with the remaining nipples and the acid. I get Phosphoric Prep from Home Depot for about $14 a gallon.

4b8d4936ec3acd13adbbb3b6db1625c4.jpg

5158efcec36dc473c989190fb37babb2.jpg

21f50c0598453d760ab6744eec702401.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a lot of hope for this set of spokes. That has more to do with their looks, not function. I'm confident there will still be plenty of tensile strength left. One thing with doing this treatment- if there is too much rust, the spoke will just turn black as the entire piece will become iron phosphate. You want the FePO4 to fall into solution. Since rust expands so much, texture can be isolated to the surface. Regardless, I have another wheel with less rusting on the spokes. @ about $125 per rim for spokes, I think it's worth a shot. It just costs me a little time and about $2 or $3 worth of acid.

deviant said:
I don't have a lot of hope for this set of spokes. That has more to do with their looks, not function. I'm confident there will still be plenty of tensile strength left. One thing with doing this treatment- if there is too much rust, the spoke will just turn black as the entire piece will become iron phosphate. You want the FePO4 to fall into solution. Since rust expands so much, texture can be isolated to the surface. Regardless, I have another wheel with less rusting on the spokes. @ about $125 per rim for spokes, I think it's worth a shot. It just costs me a little time and about $2 or $3 worth of acid.

I can only rely on common sense so I may tend to error on the side of fear hahaha!

deviant said:
. I get Phosphoric Prep from Home Depot for about $14 a gallon.

Do you mix it down with anything or just straight? How long can you leave metal in the solution?

canyoncarver said:
Do you mix it down with anything or just straight? How long can you leave metal in the solution?
Straight from jug it's 35 - 45%. A common auto body solution is a mixture of phosphoric acid, distilled water and isopropyl alcohol. Orthophosphoric acid is syrupy undiluted, so manufacturers dilute it for use. You can buy it straight up, probably more cheaply, if you want to make some yourself. I've seen 55 gallon drums for less than $200. It's a component to Pepsi and Coca-Cola, so food grade batches are readily available and cheap. I kept that first batch of nipples in solution for 24 hours. As the chemical reaction occurs, it coats the metal and restricts further etching. Not sure you can keep it in there too long.

mahvelous :eek: :(
hey what length are those ? i have some nos not sure the app but a bag full, i mite have the right ones

xb33bsa said:
mahvelous :eek: :(
hey what length are those ? i have some nos not sure the app but a bag full, i mite have the right ones
Front are 8" rear are 5". You can see both angles in the pic.

ok i gotta handful of 8 '' ers here not the new ones but good with nice nips but they are mixed with some others what gauge are those ? these are .125 at the middle
iyou lookin for 20 each or 18 ea

bah this bunch here all with nips partway on so after a bit of unsrcewing it looks like half of these are 7-3/4 :-[

JustinLonghorn said:
I like where you are heading.

Also, I want this headlight.
I may still have it. If not, then E has it. Neither of us have installed it on a bike yet. I assume you mean just the light, not the fairing. I can cast you a fairing, if you want one.

Back
Top Bottom