1977 GL1000 Double Deuce Hell Ride

The issue with larger fairing is looks, they can be really ugly. I hate the vetter and Hondaline GL fairings, If you go that route try and use endurance racer fairings, they can look great on the GL, sigh boy or whatever posted a rad one on my GL thread.

This
6P8R1641.jpg

I hear ya. I'm not talking anything on the market and hopefully nothing like anything done before. It'll match the existing lines in the body work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your work is creating random ideas in my head.

Has there ever been anything like an "All Star" build here?

Not to single anyone out or leave anyone out, there's just too many talented here, but I know these guys do these things well and this is just a thought for fun anyway, 01marc powdercoats a frame, xb conceives and implements a proper suspension, j-rod makes the rearsets, crazypj builds the motor, sonreir builds awire harness, deviant makes the bodywork, ichiban..does whatever ichiban does, etc... (i thought a dotdotdot was appropriate there)

It would be a large and complicated undertaking, however, imagine the bike that could be built.

DOHC Check out the 3RM build, it was kind of like that. Folks built components at their own shops then they assembled the bike at one of the GTG's

sweet
on a side note you are going to need to cut the bottom frame out on that suzi to get the honda engine low enough
cs sprocket height to swingarm, pivot is critical, way too high now

xb33bsa said:
on a side note you are going to need to cut the bottom frame out on that suzi to get the honda engine low enough
cs sprocket height to swingarm, pivot is critical, way too high now
Close to an inch and a half.

VZ800 Marauder front end. I'll machine the GL hub, run 17mm X 47mm X 14mm bearings and use a stock rear hoop to lace a 17" front wheel. The Marauder legs are 33" vs the stock 31" GL. With a 17" front wheel, the geometry doesn't change,

dd136a3ad3125db9e15a324a9d63d1a0.jpg

deviant said:
VZ800 Marauder front end. I'll machine the GL hub, run 17mm X 47mm X 14mm bearings and use a stock rear hoop to lace a 17" front wheel. The Marauder legs are 33" vs the stock 31" GL. With a 17" front wheel, the geometry doesn't change,

dd136a3ad3125db9e15a324a9d63d1a0.jpg

Sweet... Offset in the woods the same also?

Tune-A-Fish said:
Sweet... Offset in the woods the same also?
There really is no offset on the VZ front end, that I can see.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Oh and weer my fender at?
Sitting on the roof of the Roadrunner. Send me you address and I'll mail it over

Nice upgrade there Eric. This is making want to get at mine so bad. I can't wait until I get the physio done so I can start wrenching again.

Mocking up the VZ front end, I have 4mm to make up. The top bearing doesn't seat in its race, so I can't get it tight. The lower race is 5mm into the steering tube more than it needs to be, so we'll start there with lining things up.

3ae3af0d6dd888b3bec054ec03a463fb.jpg

Maritime said:
Nice upgrade there Eric. This is making want to get at mine so bad. I can't wait until I get the physio done so I can start wrenching again.
Thanks, Mike. Here's to hoping you get down here for some events. Maybe more than just Barber to make up for lost time.

Thanks, I am hoping to get to the thaw for the first time as a get back to biking thing. I should have the vacation time this year.

I figured to be about 4mm short to get a tight fit with the steering stem. The existing race was short that much inside the tube...

8e813d0b1d0d0232bad1ca8b2a079505.jpg

So I made a 5mm spacer out of a piece of exhaust pipe...

6e4fac896da4987d3ab38f122671bc87.jpg

Re-installed the race for a perfect swap...

16d228098a857c83eca1533b4efd456b.jpg

DohcBikes said:
How does the assembled weight of the marauder front compare to the weight of the gl front?
Not much, if any at all. Holding them at the same time, they feel almost exactly the same. I have not weighed either. I figure the weight benefits will happen with modern components- SV650 calipers and modern 310mm rotors. Overall, I'd like to see this bike weigh under 550lbs vs the advertised 595lbs. Getting it closer to 500lbs would be a dream.

Around 500 seems to be my max happy weight. Those forks are really nice looking. Almost look like vintage with metal fork sleeves until you look again and realize they are modern.

Back
Top Bottom