Trash to Tracker, Xl350 UPDATED!

Re: Trash to Tracker, Xl350

So after a bit of thinking, I think I'm going to build this more of a classic enduro, not a restoration candidate, just a clean looking classic bike with a few touches. I really wanted to turn it into something like the bike below, but I think for now ill hold off and stick with the stock seat and rear part of the frame. Maybe next winter. But for now ill continue tearing her down and making her better.

QRfpAAp.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202025278766

I may have an extra bracket that goes up by the handlebar clamps.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

thanks man, I have the bracket, but unfortunately my cable is broke exactly where the one in that ebay listing is broke

Well the wife got called into work, so I made it a shop night. But then I ran out of propane in my heater and its 16 degrees in Baltimore right now. So here I am......

Taking the bike to the state police this week to have the VIN check done, and then start the Vermont Title process. So I stripped the bike down as much as I could, just incase the VIN comes back Dirty, then I can claim this was how I bought the bike and not have to give up expensive parts to replace.

ukx1YmQ.jpg

Started getting my parts ordered in line. Still have a few more things on there way.

X03zL1c.jpg

XZuWtPF.jpg

Started cleaning the inside of the tank, was getting lots of rust and pieces of hardened gas or something. It was like mud that smelled like gas. Can still see some in the seems of the tank welds so Im considering lining the inside of the tank. After I got all i could out of the tank I filled it with Metal Rescue. It seemes to have gotten the rust out very well, Im still getting some flash rusting when I empty the tank out. Anything I can do to stop this? Like rinsing down with baking soda?

6MEuwUp.jpg

On the subject of the Tank, I was planning on stripping the tank and having it painted black, but I can't bring myself to strip a original tank in such good shape. So for now my plan is to have my buddy from the SOHC4 Forums print me out a sheet of silver graphic and lay it over the bad parts on the sides. I think that'll work good.

slcE3vv.jpg

e4vhQtK.jpg

I will have the fenders re-sprayed

TAbk4iH.jpg

You don't need a VIN verification for this bike since its under 350cc for the VT registration.

advCo said:
You don't need a VIN verification for this bike since its under 350cc for the VT registration.

damn i thought i had to, well i got it checked anyway, no problems!

2strokeTRush said:
Started cleaning the inside of the tank, was getting lots of rust and pieces of hardened gas or something. It was like mud that smelled like gas. Can still see some in the seems of the tank welds so Im considering lining the inside of the tank. After I got all i could out of the tank I filled it with Metal Rescue. It seemes to have gotten the rust out very well, Im still getting some flash rusting when I empty the tank out. Anything I can do to stop this? Like rinsing down with baking soda?

Get it as clean as you can with the metal rescue and either some drywall screws or BBs to break anything loose if necessary. If you do, make sure you get em all out. Once you're happy with it, swish around some pre-mix gas and coat the inside and dump out the excess. The oil in the pre-mix will prevent flash rust.

I would avoid lining the tank unless you absolutely have to.

Sandblasting may be my new favorite thing! My buddy has a professional machine and let me use it for a while.

lmWNW2H.jpg

Cleaned up the frame as best I could and laid some paint on it as well.

0tTOTGi.jpg

The engine side cases had some wear on them, I think I'm going to pull them off, prep and paint them a darker metallic.

BJ0aO9N.jpg

blasted and painted the sprocket cover to see how the cases would turn out, after it cures ill see hoe it looks against the motor.

hOhpuyW.jpg

Also found out that the rear brake cable is hard to come by, and i think i can reuse mine, so i have been soaking it down every day. still need a choke cable.

7IJPmPQ.jpg

those side covers are magnesium zinc chromate primer should be use as a pretreatment prior to painting

Took on the forks today, both seals had been leaking. Im going to blast the fork lowers and paint them black. I think that would look good.

Having never done fork seals before I watched a few videos and looked to my service manual. The disassembly went well. I have heard that the lower allen head bolt can sometimes seize in the fork lower causing issues disassembling. I had inverted the forks and soaked the bolts in PB Blaster for a few days, then heated everything up very hot with a heat gun. Both bolts broke loose no issue.

mvkf4bt.jpg

Lots of Gunk, no wonder the seas blew out.

ZzObfgI.jpg

hZPS9IM.jpg

Then everything got a nice degreasing and cleaning.

3XV86aW.jpg

Did the best I could to heat up the side cover piece to cure an see if i like the color

tX60Gr8.jpg

After a " Cure " and clear, should I do all the side covers like this?

XKK537U.jpg

Considering doing the valve cover as well...

FQ10fvk.jpg

And even though I know its a controversal topic, I coated the tank with " Red Coat " tank sealer. I have had luck with this on my Jerry Cans on my 4x4.

A579hv5.jpg

I did not want to do this, and received some great tips on the flash rusting issue ( thanks guys ) but no matter how much i soaked and cleaned, there was still small sand like muck particles in the tank seems I could not get rid of. Obviously this would be cause for lots of carb cleaning in the future. So tank lining it is.

NJY5Ina.jpg

No controversy with me. I love Red-Kote. I've coated a half dozen tanks with it and I've had zero issues. As long I'm super extra careful with cleaning fuel and solvents out, and I give the stuff extra time to cure, it's been flawless.

Decided I'm going to paint the side covers, as well as the valve cover. Plus dissembling all this gives me the satisfaction of inspecting and cleaning these areas.

6RTYuM2.jpg

SHjhc2v.jpg

Some sealant and some markings under the cam make me think someone has been in here before. Wasn't exactly thrilled with the looks of the Cam.

uralHad.jpg

IxvrR6M.jpg

Does this kickstarter spring look correct? It seems lop sided an can move easily on the shaft.

OUelPE5.jpg

lS1ylRf.jpg

Also, whats the secret to cleaning the centrifugal pump? Once you get the C Clip out whats next? The manual is very bland about this.

24KMbTo.jpg

Dig these 350 singles. A friend of mine has one he's in the middle of rebuilding.
As far as the sludge trap goes, the aluminum cap comes off after the cir- clip is removed, then just clean out the sludge ( and most likely a lot of metal shavings).
By the way, that cam lobe in second pic is wiped out due to the pitting and signs of a lot of rocker bounce.
Good luck with the build

Hibby Jr said:
Dig these 350 singles. A friend of mine has one he's in the middle of rebuilding.
As far as the sludge trap goes, the aluminum cap comes off after the cir- clip is removed, then just clean out the sludge ( and most likely a lot of metal shavings).
By the way, that cam lobe in second pic is wiped out due to the pitting and signs of a lot of rocker bounce.
Good luck with the build

Does the metal cap just pull off after the C clip? And I was afraid of that, not sure what im going to do as the thing ran great once I got it going, may just try and find a new cam. I was trying to not have to do a top end job just yet.

you wont damage it much more by running it

its already done

cxman said:
you wont damage it much more by running it

its already done

Yeah I kinda figured, I may just run it this season, then next do a top end job and big bore kit. Engine rebuild isnt in the budget this season.

Good thing about these motors is the high performance stuff is on the market. I assume you know about Xlintperformance.com and others.

Back
Top Bottom