76 CB360 (GrayBird)...DONE w/new pics!

AzHonda

Coast to Coast
I put this build here in the "Specials" due to me not really going down the full on "Cafe" route (I think?). I like the style but also like the origional classic look to these bikes as well. This is my first bike build. My past love was with IH travelalls. So, not new to the wrench but a first for working on bikes.

Here's where I am wanting to go with this CB. I have had the frame powedercoated in a gray color. Keeping the origional saphire blue tank. Picking up the wheels tomorrow. The have been PC in semigloss black. New chrome spokes are on the way. Fenders have all been rechromed and will be ready by the end of the week.

Have a buttload of new parts coming in from DCC and Ebay finds. I didn't go into the engine and do anything there due to this bike already being a good runner and with only 5,000 miles on it. I did rebuild the carbs and am crossing my fingers there. :eek:

Here is what it looked like when I bought it.

Attachments

• 1976 Honda CB360T.jpg
    1976 Honda CB360T.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 468
  • 76 engine.jpg
    76 engine.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 472
  • IMAG0355.jpg
    IMAG0355.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 477
Re: 76 CB360 (GrayBird)

Stripped everything off of the frame. I have left all origional tabs/brackets. Installed new points, oil and painted the engine. I love the look of the side covers polished but I lack the patience to sit with my wheel and do it. I have been polishing alot of small parts.

Attachments

• IMAG0445.jpg
    IMAG0445.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 451
  • IMAG0426.jpg
    IMAG0426.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 462
  • IMAG0386.jpg
    IMAG0386.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 446
  • IMAG0360.jpg
    IMAG0360.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 458

Already have clubman bars. Waffle grips, new shocks, headlight housing and bunch of other misc things (will post pics when they come in) on the way.

Attachments

• IMAG0453.jpg
    IMAG0453.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 465
  • IMAG0471.jpg
    IMAG0471.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 458
  • IMAG0523.jpg
    IMAG0523.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 457
  • IMAG0543.jpg
    IMAG0543.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 467

Found a stragler out in my garage so i put her to work. Seriously, she likes to wrench. I have three large tool boxes and she knows where everything is.
Today I shortened the stock blinker posts 2 1/2 inches. I actually like the stock blinkers, just not the lenght of the posts. I am sure I will get alot of crap for this but I am thinking of staying with my stock seat. I know, I know......But Jon, a cafe style seat looks so much cooler! They do and IF I go that route, it looks like it will be the one DCC sells. I would have ordered it this go around but funds were low and had to get what was nessesary......for now. ;)

Attachments

• IMAG0540.jpg
    IMAG0540.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 439
  • IMAG0541.jpg
    IMAG0541.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 481
  • IMAG0459.jpg
    IMAG0459.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 447

I did the same damn thing to my blinkers too, I like the size and shape just hated the length.

Bike looks good man, I have always liked that color too.

Mounted rear blinkers after taking 2.5"s off the posts. I think they look alot better. Also got in my new Bridgestones. Last picture the frame looks blue but is actually gray. heading over to my chrome guy tomorrow to pick up fenders and other misc parts I had rechromed. Still waiting for new stem bearings to get in. Forks have new seals and dust caps and the lowers have new paint.

Attachments

• IMAG0554.jpg
    IMAG0554.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 454
  • IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0548.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 466
  • IMAG0555.jpg
    IMAG0555.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 495

Real clean. Love the clean garage too. I have to get a second Craftsman box... How do you like that HF blast box?

The HF media cabinet is nice. Best $170 (on sale) I ever spent. Seem to use it more than anything. I hold 70 grit aluminum oxide in it.

No, I am not a fire fighter. Just collect axes from different areas. These are axes you just cant get at Home depot. I have some as old as 50-60 years and the quality is amazing over the new FF axes.

Hey 1976cb356.......the guy I bought this bike from found the gear and chain for the starter and sent it to me a couple weeks after I got that one from you. If you ever need one again, hit me up and I will send it to you.

AzHonda said:
Hey 1976cb356.......the guy I bought this bike from found the gear and chain for the starter and sent it to me a couple weeks after I got that one from you. If you ever need one again, hit me up and I will send it to you.

Haha of course... thats how it always works. I would just try to sell it to someone else and get your money back.
And old tools are awesome, my grandpa has an old stainless steel(ithink) sears drill thats from the 40's, and still works better than anything.

I had a heck of a time deciding what color to do the wheels. Since the frame is powder coated gray, I was thinking of doing the wheels the same color and then I had decided on gloss black with stainless spokes. Got my wheels back from my powder coat guy and the hubs were in the gray and the rims in black. ??? Guess I will just roll with it.

Attachments

• IMAG0559.jpg
    IMAG0559.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 379
Re: 76 CB360 (GrayBird) Laced wheels....

Spokes came in today..........Laced them up..............WHAT A BITCH!!!

But, I learned alot. First time I have ever laced rims. Thank god for a youtube video that showed me that there were two different sets of spokes (inner/outter). Screwed up a few times on each wheel with my pattern but got the hang of it.

Attachments

• IMAG0591.jpg
    IMAG0591.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 398
  • IMAG0590.jpg
    IMAG0590.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 379

I like the contrast between the hubs and rims, and think with the same grey on the frame it should look cool.

Things kinda came to a standstill with the holidays and all. Did get some goodies in the mail to finish up the rest of the electrical work (hooking up new control switches on the handlebars).

Here is how the bike looks as of now.

Attachments

• IMAG0103.jpg
    IMAG0103.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 353
  • IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 347

very cool!
What controls are you using? I cant decide, Ill probably end up salvaging my m/c and starter stop switch but every thing else go more modern? still in the works thats why I'm asking....

*edit* They look to be universal. nevermind should have looked before asking.... ???

Very cool, I guess I could start on my wiring, Thanks for the modivation. Are you doing any shrink wrap? I been looking for a nice store with shrink wrap and soder and wire, but just keep finding multicolored ones for too much dinero. Fastenal has some stuff, might just go to lowes or napa.

Anyways, great build nice and clean.

Back
Top Bottom