74 TL 125 (Desert Rat)

AzHonda

Coast to Coast
I purchased this bike out of bordom actually. I have been building my 76 CB360T (Graybird) and needed something else to keep me busy while waiting for parts. This bike is rough. Got it off of Craigslist for $100. The motor runs. The previous owner put a new Moose Dual throttle on it. I immediatly sold it on Ebay for $100. So......bike was free.

This is not going to be a stock build of a tl125 trials bike. Since I live in southern Arizona, I am building this bike to match the terrain and something for me to go right out my garage and into the desert to mess around on.

Here is what I have done so far. Keep in mind. Iam trying to spend as little money on this bike as possible. I eventually need to find a new used frame since this one had some damage. even though it has been repaired, I want to replace it.

Painted frame (Nutmeg).
Painted wheels (semigloss black).
Painted engine (PJ1 fast Black)
New tires/tubes (Kenda K270 Dual Sport Tires)
New brake pads
New cables/levers
Polished handle bars

Still need to find a seat for this thing.

I am painting the tank in an offwhite and my neighbor airbrushes flames (realistic ones) and he is going to paint them like they are coming out from underneath the tank. Price? 6 pack of beer.

Attachments

• IMAG0484.jpg
    IMAG0484.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 504
  • IMAG0499.jpg
    IMAG0499.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 486
  • IMAG0498.jpg
    IMAG0498.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 477
  • IMAG0515.jpg
    IMAG0515.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 468
Here are shots of the "after". Everything has just been rattle canned with Dupicolors high heat engine paints. Again, keeping this build cheap!

Attachments

• IMAG0530.jpg
    IMAG0530.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 506
  • IMAG0527.jpg
    IMAG0527.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 491
  • IMAG0525.jpg
    IMAG0525.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 480
  • IMAG0517.jpg
    IMAG0517.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 481
I really don't know what "style" this bike is heading. Kinda why I have it posted here. Just want to make it a fun, beta the hell out of it type of ride. And IF I decide to try to climb over a large rock or tree stump.......I just might.

If anyone knows of a good TL 125 frame for sale. Please let me know if you would. Will be updateing more as parts come in.

Thanks,
Jon

Cool! Just as I got done writting all of this, the door bell rings.........

Attachments

• IMAG0546.jpg
    IMAG0546.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 466
  • IMAG0547.jpg
    IMAG0547.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 468
Got a little bit done today....

Blasted tank, painted tank, new fork seals, blasted and painted lowers, polished tubes. Painted rear fender to match tank. The gas tank does need some body work but for now I can live with it.
Mounted tires and ended up giving the rear tire a pinch flat in the tube. So, would have had those installed today as well if it weren't for my mess up.Put new rubber on the kick start and shift lever. Managed to scratch up my rims installing the tires too. :mad:

Attachments

• IMAG0558.jpg
    IMAG0558.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 411
  • IMAG0557.jpg
    IMAG0557.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 416
  • IMAG0556.jpg
    IMAG0556.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 457
  • IMAG0550.jpg
    IMAG0550.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 420
I got the wheels and tires on the bike. The Kenda tires look real cool. All I need is to locate a seat, muffler and put a throttle on and I think I am ready to go. If anyone has a resource for after market mufflers please let me know. I believe the pipe is only a 1 1/4" and the stock mufflers seem to be unobtainium!

I threw in the "before" pic just to show the difference.....

Attachments

• IMAG0484.jpg
    IMAG0484.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 403
  • IMAG0565.jpg
    IMAG0565.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 583
  • IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 407
Is yours the model with alloy rims? What shocks are you using?
I should have my skate deck seat back from the upholsterers any day now.
If you've got a healthy budget Sammy miller is the boy for a new seat.

http://www.sammymillerproducts.co.uk/iqs/dbitemid.689/sfa.view/seats.html

Exhaust:

http://www.sammymillerproducts.co.uk/product699.html

The shocks are cheapo ones off of ebay. My budget is real small on this bike. After all the searching around for a muffler, I may just have to go with a Sammy Miller kit.

Erskine said:
Is yours the model with alloy rims? What shocks are you using?
I should have my skate deck seat back from the upholsterers any day now.
If you've got a healthy budget Sammy miller is the boy for a new seat.

http://www.sammymillerproducts.co.uk/iqs/dbitemid.689/sfa.view/seats.html

Exhaust:

http://www.sammymillerproducts.co.uk/product699.html

Post up a pic of your seat on here. Would love to see how it turns out. A skate deck should be a good base. I believe it is 7 ply maple wood.
I am thinking I will make my own for this bike as well. Was looking at aluminum sheet today.

Decided to paint the handle bars the same color as the engine. The bike came with a "muffler in a bag". It has stamped on the side something about being certified with the US Forestry Service. Anyways, the muffler was all broken up inside. No packing or anything. I media blasted it, painted it and tried to put all the pieces back in with new packing the way I think it is supposed to go. Just waiting for new fuel line to come in as well as new throttle and then I will be good do go. I also took rear fender off and made a template for my seat pan. Looks like I am heading towards a "Tracker" look on this one. I have a 1/8" piece of aluminum sheet that I will be cutting out and shaping for the seat pan.

Attachments

• IMAG0578.jpg
    IMAG0578.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 389
  • IMAG0577.jpg
    IMAG0577.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMAG0576.jpg
    IMAG0576.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 388
I'm hoping to have my seat back tomorrow, the girl keeps on telling me she is doing it in pink to wind me up!
Any progress? So long as you have a good header surely you could fit a pitbike silencer?
I made mine from an argon gas bottle cut open and baffles tacked in.

Made the seat pan today out of 5052 1/8" aluminum. Now I just need to figure out how I want to mount it.

Attachments

• IMAG0585.jpg
    IMAG0585.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMAG0577.jpg
    IMAG0577.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 363
  • IMAG0587.jpg
    IMAG0587.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 380
  • IMAG0586.jpg
    IMAG0586.jpg