80HWK - 80 CB400 Hawk Build

SimJen

Ducatisti
My names Simon from New Zealand, I'm 37.
This is a bit of a retrospective build log at the mo, up to the point I am currently at, then I'll be updating as I do it!
I have had a few bikes over the years from a rare Honda NSR250SP with mods to my last bike which was a modified Suzuki K5 GSXR1000. Currently I run a 2001 Ducati 996 which I try to ride as much as possible.
I work in the Steelfab industry so have a few contacts which will help a bit I'm sure during the build.

I purchased a cheap and old 80' CB400 Twin a little while ago with the purpose of turning it into something special.
Ideally a cafe type project, but as the project has progressed and due to the frame on these bikes I have taken a little detour and now building a bobber/brat type thing!

How it was as bought for $1000 NZD with a genuine 44,000km on the clock!
It even came with a personalised plate which is rare for the era of: 80HWK awesome.
193016540_full.jpg

193016311_full.jpg

Started the stripdown:
DSC_8367.JPG

Cut the frame back at the rear, removed the airbox and started cleaning the motor.
I'll be powder-coating the motor covers and painting the remainder of the motor.

Engine covers powdercoated in satin black
DSC_8512.JPG

DSC_8513.jpg

Came up pretty good, Powder coating cost me $30NZD through a company I deal with

Managed to find a 70's CB360 tank to bolt right on, not a fan of the 80's look of the original. Tank is in very good condition inside and out, just have to fill in the badge areas as I want to stick a vinyl type tank badge on.
DSC_8524.jpg

Also made up a seat base from 3mm galv. sheet. It will be bolted down and then I'll build some ply on top to match the shape followed by foam and distressed black leather for the seat itself
DSC_8526.JPG

Need to cut down the aluminium footpeg bits as I find them a little on the ugly side!

Seat will be lower once I change tank bracket etc.
DSC_8523.JPG

Found some pod filters, to keep the jetting a bit more normal I have put the standard filter foam inside these along with the mesh type plates to keep the vacuum up in the carbs. Remains to be seen how well it works!
Rear guard has also been mocked up from the stock front guard, need to weld the extra holes up.
DSC_8527.JPG

Brackets etc have all been made from aluminium and will be painted black.
Fastenings are all stainless with nylocs

Bike will be predominantly satin black with a gun metal tank and rear guard. Wheels/Forks black also.
Handlebars will be replaced with 33mm clipons, looking for some tiny indicators to fix to the ends of the cut frame at the back. This will also close these off from the elements.
Also in the process of making a plate to go under the seat to hold the rectifier/fuses/flasher as well as a small motobatt mb9u battery that due to the thickness being only 76mm will barely be visible leaving that area nice and open.
Working on a logo for the build too, will be going on the tank and the rear guard.
Looking to get it done in an antique brass sort of finish before clearing over them once painted.
Based on an image of a tony hawk logo, i've cadded it up in autocad and will get it vinyl cut at some stage.
Hawk%2520Logo-Model.jpg

Tank fits fine, same size grommets at the front! I was rather surprised myself as I bought it sight unseen from our local ebay type site.
It was quite tight and fouled on the coil at the front, nothing a couple of extender brackets couldn't fix.
Waiting on finances so I can start getting a few things:
clipons
lights
indicators
digital dash (small one like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230680415637?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)
Muffler
Seat foam/leather
Paint!

Not a huge amount to do really.
Bike has had a full service involving oil/filter, check timing/balance chains, adjusted valve clearances etc so all good to go once its ridable again.
Planning on using it as a bit of a commuter

So heres the tank filled and sanded ready for primer:
P1000855.JPG

Heres the underseat plate that has the rectifier, fuses and solenoid etc bolted beneath, the battery will sit in a hole in this plate. I'll be using a smaller motobatt battery, but later on will probably replace with a Shorai lithium type battery:
P1000856.JPG

P1000857.JPG

Cut down the alloy swingarm/footrest plates and repainted black:
P1000861.JPG

Spent some time over the weekend on the build.
Looking at wiring and my battery box etc.
Cut the battery hole and mounted the solenoid next to it, started to remove all of the extra plugs that I don't need!
Only keeping the rectifier,fusebox and solenoid plugs to keep things a bit tidier.
1.jpg

3.jpg

Cut and starting to tidy up
4.jpg

Right hand side tidied up nicely, once all the wires are cable tied up it will be really clean/tidy
Looking to change my crappy lower guard bracket for a laser cut item with perhaps the words Hawk cut out??
Working on a few mockups
5.jpg

Looking to tuck the ignition behind the front of the tank! Looks quite good
2.jpg

Next up is to get the underseat stuff painted up black or powdercoat, have to see how rich I'm feeling!
Will post some more pics of the completed rear end electrics shortly.
Once I get my clipons and front light i'll be able to tackle the front end electrics with gusto!

Managed to get a little time to cut out a new bracket, did it by hand to save a bit of money.
Need to adjust the end to suit the curve of the guard, or may adjust the guard at that point to be flatter (probably easier).
Came out pretty good I think for a hacksaw/file job.
P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

took the front end off ready to fit my clipons.
Seems that both forks are bent, one is substantially worse than the other which is why it used to strangely fall into left handers!!!
A local bike guy can straighten them cheaply so shouldn't be a worry.
Once this is done, I can finish the wiring clean up on the front end.
Currently the bike is supported by ropes to the triples hanging from my garage truss!

Forks are now straight, total cost $93NZD
While they were off I noticed the head bearings were shot! Very notchy and all the grease had dried up.
P1010018.JPG

So along with the new fork seals I've also got a new set of tapered head bearings on their way.
P1010019.JPG

Also got some etch primer and decided I'd give painting the wheels a go. Used the old deflate the tyre and slide playing cards under the lip trick, Came out well, and really will suit the bike in Satin black!
P1010017.JPG

P1010020.JPG

P1010021.JPG

Need to now take a few items to the powdercoaters before assembly can start!
Fork Lowers
Triples
Battery Tray
Guard brackets x2

Rebuilt the forks over the weekend, new seals, fresh oil etc. Beautifully slick now!
Decided to paint a lot of the parts I was going to powdercoat, so painted the fork legs, brackets etc all satin black.
Fitted the steering head bearings, but it appears that my existing ones (std. ball bearings) didn't have a spacer of any kind at the base so when I put the tapered bearings in from Pyramid Parts they rubbed on the bottom of the steering head!!!! Damn it!
Had to destroy the new bottom bearing to get it back off the steering stem, so need to find a spacer washer and buy another bearing kit!!!!
Does anyone know the thickness of the original spacer?

managed to sort the steering bearings out, found a 3mm washer that seemed to do the trick.
Installed the front end and clipons
P1010026.JPG

Got the front wheel on and painted, starting to look a lot better now
P1010031.JPG

Front end is looking good
P1010038.JPG

Painted the rear wheel to match
P1010040.JPG

With the gold anodised clipons I think i'll try and match these with a gold logo for the tank and possibly gold front brake calipers?
Next up will be to buy the light and indicators and work my way through simplifying the wiring on the front end.

Spent a few hours over the weekend doing a few little jobs:

First up was to mount the new Motobatt battery (which I had to paint black!), got all the wiring routed too.
Looks neat and tidy and despite being a 7ah battery still turns over the bike fine with a decent weight saving over the original 12ah wet type.
P1010041.JPG

P1010042.JPG

The top view shows the neatness of it all, wanted the contact of the battery easy to get to, and the fuses etc are all underneath the panel, and accessible if you try
P1010043.JPG

Moved the key switch to a convenient location, had to make a couple of brackets and bolted it all in.
P1010044.JPG

Looks nice and neat in its new position, once I get my headlight I'll be rewiring the whole front end to suit.
P1010045.JPG

Headlight has just arrived and while cheap will do the job, just need to make some ears up for it and mount!
P1010046.JPG

Here's the headlight positioned in place, just sat there!
It needs the brackets making up and possibly a drop or rise of the bars to allow it to sit where I want it.
P1010047.JPG

P1010048.JPG

Light brackets are done, I used a standard stainless steel pipe clamp and welded a little extra to one leg.
Works well enough and very cheap!
P1010049.JPG

P1010050.JPG

P1010053.JPG

Next stop is wiring the front end up, mostly tidying up whats there and removing the various plugs etc.

I just noticed I hadn't made mention of the engine.
When I first got the bike it was running really good, I used it for thrashing around my driveway and giving my kids (3,5,7) rides sitting on the seat in front of me.
I did the valve clearances, all pretty good and very clean inside.
Changed the oil/filter, adjusted cam chain tension and balancer tensioners.
Engine is now waiting to be started!
I've been working on a rear number plate holder too, and will post some pics soon.
Just a folded piece of 3mm alum. with some lightening holes, going to be side mounted to keep the rear clean!

Jobs:
paint tank/guard
assemble rear guard/brackets etc
get some indicators for the front/rear
get a rear light and mount to my plate holder
rewire front end
Custom exhausts
replace brake lines with some custom made braided type (to get rid of the splitter unit)
Seat! I have a birthday coming up and possibly my family has said they might chip in for a premade seat, sounds good to me

Nice work so far, first hawk I have seen with dual front brakes? They all came single here in NA as far as I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom