Getting titles for unregistered bikes in CA

SpankRock

I have three bikes with zero record in the DMV system. I need to submit an 'Application for Title' for all three, along with a 'Statement of Facts' explaining why I have the bikes. What's the most hassle-free explanation to give the DMV for my ownership?

Here's what happened:

DudeA bought an old industrial lot that was foreclosed, and found a bunch of rustbucket motorcycles in the back - they were left behind by DudeB, the original owner. DudeA needed them gone, so I took them off his hands for pennies on the dollar (they're in pretty bad shape... restoration threads to come! :D )

My concerns:

This was a totally informal, no-paperwork transaction. If I tell the DMV I bought them, will DMV require a Bill of Sale? That sounds like a pain. If I tell DMV the bikes were a gift (which they practically were) are there any weird considerations I need to include in my Statement of Facts?

Again, there is zero record of the bikes, so as another member said in another thread, Mickey Mouse could be the previous owner, and a stork could have dropped them down my chimney for all the DMV knows. Love to hear everyone's thoughts!

just tell the dmv that they have always been yours
and that you have lost all the paper work
file for lost title
on another note just fer fun
one time i told them(ca dmv)this is no bullshit,that i was given a motorcycle for mowing a lawn and giving the dude a ride to the bus station
this is what i rote down on the statement of fact
a buddy of mine was with me to sign whatever to be dude
they really don't give a hoot as long as it is not stolen and is outta the system
all they want is the money in the end

Hahaha that's fantastic - good to know there won't be a strict auditing process behind the whole thing

For some reason it didn't occur to me to simply say the bikes have always been mine instead of going through the whole "new owner" process :p that's a good point, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom